Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Harley really wants to attract riders from the 'Jap bikes', Germans, and others, there are a couple of things that amaze me you can't get on our Harleys. I ride a Night Rod, but I think we are all in the same boat here.

1. While Harley advertises they want us to ride safely, why is it that they don't even make a damn helmet lock that fits on our frames? If Harley wants guys that have not been riding Harleys, with a little 'get off your ass' research, they'd realize that most riders of Jap and Deutsches bikes wear helmets. And most of the Jap and German bikes have helmet locks. HELLO! Why not?

2. Storage space. Are you a frickin kidding me? I've got a beautiful motorcycle down in my garage that's 8 feet long, and I don't even have a place to store a sandwich or a soda...or a beer. I've had a number of bikes that you could store a sandwich and a ..beer under the seat and ride for a while and take a break and enjoy. Don't tell me there's no space, what do they pay those designers for anyway?

3. Tie downs. Again..wassup widat'? $16k out the door and no place to tie on my bag? You get 4 tie downs on a $3 grand Kawasaki! Absolutely ridiculous

Yeah, I love my bike, I think it's a piece of rolling artwork, but it's like the artwork was never finished. And before all you "I drank the Kook-Aid" Harley folks start with the same old drivel that Harley's are different, stop and think for a minute. Harley's aren't different. Well, in some ways they are. I restore old bikes as a hobby, and it's rare to find rusting bolts and nuts on an old Honda or Yamaha. But they are quite common on my '06 Night Rod with just 9800 miles on it. So yeah, I guess Harley's are different. And I think that the quality of some of the hardware is absolutely inexcusable. Harley, are you listening? Do you give damn about your riders?

Here's my question to you, my fellow forum members: What would you like to see on your VRSC Harley? What do you think they are missing?

And by the way, I'm not a rookie rider. This is my 9th bike, and I've been riding since the 70's. I'm not doing this because I want to start a bitch off about our bikes, but I am curious about what you would like to see, that you aren't. And by the way, if Harley comes out with a Touring bike based on the VRSC motor that doesn't look it came from the 30's, I'd line up to buy it. What about you all? What would you like to see?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
No matter where I go... when I come out to my bike... there are 10 people standing around it taking pictures, commenting, wishing it was theirs.

It is for this reason that I put up with no samich storage, rusty bolts, and no tie downs.
 

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Looks like you didn't do you homework. The V-ROD was inspired by the look of drag bikes, not rolling couches with carry along entertainment centers. You may want to look into a Gold Wing. If they put all that stuff on the V-ROD, it would prolly be butt ugly and I would have never bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
I agree, I would like to see some kind of under seat storage for a pair of sunglasses or a bottle of water or something like that. And I agree with the helmet lock, both of my jap bikes that I had before had one. Even if they were to put a small hook for the strap under the seat or something like that, just something to hold the helmet so you don't have to carry it around with you. I would also like to see some new stlyes of turn signals, everytime I walk around the back of my 07 DX I have to watch out for these two little wings they call turn signals so that I don't break them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
For $16,000.00 I think I should get a tool kit and a place to put it. Go buy a $3,000.00 Honda or any other Japanese bike and you get both included in the price.

The tool kit from Harley is an extra $89.95 and after you buy it where do you put it?
 

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
In this modern era, it should come with LED signals and marker lights and HID headlamps. There should be some type of secure quick release for those wanting to carry bags. And yes...I'd like to see a tool kit with a storage location. I've had these an my Honda and Yamaha bikes...even the ATV's in the past.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
579 Posts
I love my bike, just like everyone else, people are always commenting and taking pictures. I like the way it feels when I can look at MY bike and say that I put that there and that was MY idea. I wouldn't change the stock look at all. Obviously its not too bad, we all bought one. Its kind of like bitchin about the couch you just bought not having a cup holder. Well damn it next time buy a couch that was a cup holder then.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
07DX said:
No matter where I go... when I come out to my bike... there are 10 people standing around it taking pictures, commenting, wishing it was theirs.

It is for this reason that I put up with no samich storage, rusty bolts, and no tie downs.
i agree 100%

however no one looks at you bike when mine is beside it... err wait, they still do..LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
:banghead: does anyone buy a bike to ride it anymore, or does everyone just polish them? If you dont like what you get with a bike buy a different one or better yet build your own. Sorry but that is what I think.
 

·
Jeff/Modistrator
Joined
·
6,136 Posts
acroav8rdfw said:
If Harley really wants to attract riders from the 'Jap bikes', Germans, and others, there are a couple of things that amaze me you can't get on our Harleys. I ride a Night Rod, but I think we are all in the same boat here.

1. While Harley advertises they want us to ride safely, why is it that they don't even make a damn helmet lock that fits on our frames? If Harley wants guys that have not been riding Harleys, with a little 'get off your ass' research, they'd realize that most riders of Jap and Deutsches bikes wear helmets. And most of the Jap and German bikes have helmet locks. HELLO! Why not?

2. Storage space. Are you a frickin kidding me? I've got a beautiful motorcycle down in my garage that's 8 feet long, and I don't even have a place to store a sandwich or a soda...or a beer. I've had a number of bikes that you could store a sandwich and a ..beer under the seat and ride for a while and take a break and enjoy. Don't tell me there's no space, what do they pay those designers for anyway?

3. Tie downs. Again..wassup widat'? $16k out the door and no place to tie on my bag? You get 4 tie downs on a $3 grand Kawasaki! Absolutely ridiculous

Yeah, I love my bike, I think it's a piece of rolling artwork, but it's like the artwork was never finished. And before all you "I drank the Kook-Aid" Harley folks start with the same old drivel that Harley's are different, stop and think for a minute. Harley's aren't different. Well, in some ways they are. I restore old bikes as a hobby, and it's rare to find rusting bolts and nuts on an old Honda or Yamaha. But they are quite common on my '06 Night Rod with just 9800 miles on it. So yeah, I guess Harley's are different. And I think that the quality of some of the hardware is absolutely inexcusable. Harley, are you listening? Do you give damn about your riders?

Here's my question to you, my fellow forum members: What would you like to see on your VRSC Harley? What do you think they are missing?

And by the way, I'm not a rookie rider. This is my 9th bike, and I've been riding since the 70's. I'm not doing this because I want to start a bitch off about our bikes, but I am curious about what you would like to see, that you aren't. And by the way, if Harley comes out with a Touring bike based on the VRSC motor that doesn't look it came from the 30's, I'd line up to buy it. What about you all? What would you like to see?

Sounds like you need a box of these----------->>> thumbnail.jpg :D
Did you put 9800 miles on it before you found out that there was no where to store things?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OrangeRod said:
:banghead: does anyone buy a bike to ride it anymore, or does everyone just polish them? If you dont like what you get with a bike buy a different one or better yet build your own. Sorry but that is what I think.
Interesting assessment, and if you didn't notice, that's what we all do. We put the sissy bars, the baseplate, the chrome mirrors, the footrests, the highway pegs, the wider tires, the chrome wheels on our bikes, so we all end up making our bikes different. And of course there are those that drank the you know what, and think anyone that wants to do anything with a bike other than polish it and go to the bar needs a Gold Wing. Let's be real.

I know we all draw a crowd with our bikes, and that's one of the reasons we buy them, they look good! But you have to admit there are a lot of good looking bikes out there that actually have the equipment that make the bikes easier to live with-if you ride them for more than going to the pub on a sunny day..

Before you bad mouth a GoldWing, you might take notice that those guys really ride their bikes, and it's not uncommon to see a 2 year old Gold Wing with 25-30k miles. They are great bikes, but if you were stuck in the past, you'd have a hard time seeing it. BTW, they are made in America also, come to think of it. However, like our bikes, most of the parts are sourced from foreign countries.

If all you do is ride to the bar on sunny days if the weather is perfect, I'm happy for you. But anybody that rides a lot knows that it's a lot better to ride with some of the things we are talking about here. So let's try to be constructive. It's always easier to bitch, but what would you do different? There are some good thoughts here, let's keep it going!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I have never cared what people ride, honda makes some of the best products out there, I am saying dont bitch at Harley because you bought a bike that was not what you wanted. I think that you should ride what you want as long as you ride it:moped:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
oh and I am sorry if I came off as a dick, I just have to hear people bitching about the motor company all day as they all know how to run the company better and build a better product. sometimes I get cranky about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No worries, I don't bitch about the motor company, and I don't think I ever bought a product that was perfect. Except maybe that Colt Combat Commander in .45.....And then they made Glock's..but that's another story for another time..

I believe if every one sits at the status quo, nothing gets improved, nothing changes, there are no technological or user breakthroughs. That's why I wasn't looking for a bitch off, just some honest appraisals of what people want and would like to see. We've got great bikes, and that's why I pointed out that I love mine. But it's not perfect, and they could be improved without losing their looks. The suggestion of a hidden hook to hang your helmet on is a great suggestion. And maybe hidden or fold up tie down hooks also.

OrangeRod- you see a different side of the bike world than I do. And sometimes customers suck! Whoever said that the customer is always right was either an idiot, a moron, or looking for some serious brown nose points! But customers can help make products better. That's one reason so many companies do focus groups. Kind of like we are doing here. Thinking about new ideas, that's pretty cool to me. No harm, no foul.

Would rather be in KC!
 

·
Stooz
Joined
·
61 Posts
When did harley ever actually "finish" any production bike? It's a start and its up to you to finish it..... a piece of clay to be molded how you see fit.
 

·
VRSCD's Rule!
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
It's a price we pay for the bike we own. It isn't perfect for long hauls, but will do them easily. Then again, the bike is a street rod, plain and simple, IMO. It is what it is so make the best of it.

I see your point and semi agree with you. I use a backpack and a Biker's friend for the long trips.
 

·
V's and Z's
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
Topless?...if yes, then you have storage space.
 
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Top