Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Friday and what a blast. Had enough time there I ran 7 runs. I would have had time for more but I threw my drive belt on the track during the 7th start. That track gets mighty sticky towards the end of the night! Oh well, that's racing. Lucky for US our belts change out without tearing into the inner primary lol. Airheads. Lol.

My best run: #47

RT. .371
60 1.957
330 5.220
1/8 7.951
MPH 89.32
1000 10.355
1/4. 12.433
MPH 107.02

C'mon out on Fridays guys if you live near! There are only like 8 regulars in the bike class, so there's lots of time to make many runs.

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Empire. It has 2 names...New York Speedway Park I think is the other. It's a real down to earth place.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
It's good to see new people getting into drag racing. Your times are really good for a first timer.We have many drag racers here that will be glad to help you sharpen your drag racing skillz. How much do you weigh, what was your launch rpm and when did you shift?

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I weigh about 200. I'm working on the launch RPM range. Track gets hot and grips more toward the end of the night of course. I'm holding it about 4000 I think, one eye on the tach and the other eye on the tree. I've got my limiter set at 9200. This let's me cross the finish line without having to shift into 4th just as I get there.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
I Launch at 7000 and shift at 8200 and go a 8.00 or within a couple hundredths every run. my bike would run 7.4's with ncvrodracer on it, but he a little lighter than I am and a better rider. you got to use some clutch management. as long as you're having fun that's all that matters, but I'll warn you, drag racing is addictive and there's no cure for it.

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going racing on Friday July 30, 2021. It's a test n tune night at this drag strip. You could race anything and everything!

I've done a LOT of work to the bike since I last went racing. A complete overhaul. Every bushing, bearing, oring, journal, etc. with a complete top end rebuild using 2005 VRSCSE heads, J&E domed pistons....the list is too long but everything's been DONE!,

Any western New Yorkers on here please come out for the fun!

I'm very new to racing so anyone with any experience would be awesome to have along!

www.empiredragway.com

-Sean

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so I promised I'd show my slips unless the were embarrassing...which they are! I bogged the start on run 1 and missed third. I stalled on the second start. That's all I got to run because someone blew up their car and spilled oil all over the track. Everybody was soooo pissed because we've all been itching to run but it rained for a month straight here and the track's been closed. There were well over 100 cars wanting to run, but only three bikes and one snowmobile. My cousin Rick ran his Yamaha on the right, #159. I'm on the left on both tickets, #1001. I really wanted a good run to see how my setup has worked out. Embarrassing rider error all the way on my part!

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Looks like you can get high 12's @ 110+ with just a little practice - great to see you out there going after it ! BTW what valves and springs did you put in your 2005 S/E heads ? Did you use the stock valves, seat cuts & springs ? I've got the same set of new CNC heads on the bench now starting to install AV&V racing valves and locks with beehive springs, got a couple issues I'm working thru wondering which way you went - :cool:

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hell, yeah I need and want more practice! Wanted to make many more runs! I really think this bike is capable but I need to work on my starts.

The track closed for over 3 hours I guess while they cleaned up that guy's mess. Oil and every other kind of auto fluid all over the track. They ran over time so at least everyone in the line-up got to go once. I just count myself lucky I was one who got a pass in BEFORE he blew up!

I think about all the cumulative time and money invested by all those guys who had to wait and only got to run once because some unprepared jerk in a POS Mustang (I don't hate Mustangs, don't get me wrong) blew his car up. Kudos to the track personnel, though, for making sure it was safe afterward.

To answer your question, I kept the 2005 VRSCSE CNC heads stock. Used Screamin' Eagle Stage II cams. I was thinking about doing the springs but not the valves, but I didn't. I usually DO springs (I built a 2003 Deuce with the HTCC heads and replaced the springs before the install because of what I read about those heads, and I built a 2008 Nightster) but I was sort of under the impression the SE heads already had decent springs which would accommodate a stock displacement. ALSO really wanted to run Jones Cams but he didn't have a batch ready when I did my build.

I'm interested to hear about what you are doing with the springs and why. Starting to make me wish I had done Springs! And a big bore!! And Nitrous! Ha! But I wanted to keep this bike street worthy as it's my daily rider...

-Sean

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Friday night lights tonight at Empire Dragway, Leicester, NY! 4 motorcycles showed up. I'm on the left in all these slips I'm adding below. First 3 races were against a tricked out Honda 600. Next 3 races were against a Kawasaki 1000. Last race was just me all alone, all by myself. Great that I could make 7 runs in one night! I needed the practice! Wasn't as shaky nervous this time. And I highly recommend the step apparatus I have that hooks into your hitch receiver. Makes loading and unloading alone a cake walk.

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Raced 7 runs tonight. Everything was pretty consistent. I'm bogging bad at the start. Need to concentrate on not just dumping the clutch. Might want to switch to a 26 tooth pulley. This is my best time of the night. I think with more practice I could put it in the 11's. I know the bike can do it...it's just ME and my mistakes. Only one other bike showed up tonight...a Sportster with a wheelie bar attached, but he and his "builder" were V-Rod haters and he refused to run next to me. They didn't even want to shake my hand. I have no idea what times he was running. He was always up after me. But I don't think the track is going to put up with that attitude again. Gotta keep things moving and everybody has to line up! Going again next week!

Can anyone tell me? (I should probably ask at the track) But what is the type that reads AS 0.8 1.1 10.0 ????

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Wow KMC compared to your first run you were almost 2 seconds better at the 60, 330ft and 1/8 ! ( but .87 mph slower at the 1/8 ) then you carried that 1.83 sec advantage to the 1/4 while being 2.02 mph slower. Much better and interesting. Yea you can fit a 26 tooth and easily get into the high 11's it'll just wind out on the highway but if you don't do a lot of highway riding you can probably put up with it - I think that's winner by .8RT 1.1 sec @ 1/8 and 10.0 sec @ 1/4 probably a default when some V Rod hating Sportster rider won't line up with you ? What's up with that were they testing didn't want to race ? Just jerks ? You need to find out their numbers that'll tell you. (y) :cool:

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow KMC compared to your first run you were almost 2 seconds better at the 60, 330ft and 1/8 ! ( but .87 mph slower at the 1/8 ) then you carried that 1.83 sec advantage to the 1/4 while being 2.02 mph slower. Much better and interesting. Yea you can fit a 26 tooth and easily get into the high 11's it'll just wind out on the highway but if you don't do a lot of highway riding you can probably put up with it - I think that's winner by .8RT 1.1 sec @ 1/8 and 10.0 sec @ 1/4 probably a default when some V Rod hating Sportster rider won't line up with you ? What's up with that were they testing didn't want to race ? Just jerks ? You need to find out their numbers that'll tell you. (y) :cool:
Hey thanks, streetrodracer! Like the Beatles sang "It's gettin' better all the time". Maybe the "interesting" might happen to do with me missing third on that run. Ha! I'm like, looking at the tach going red red red and like, THIRD, DAMMIT! ha. Over all it was the best of all 7 runs that night AND it was my last run, so no backsies, no returnsies. Only two of my runs did I have a good reaction time, with the other five being in the 0.6's. My third run I was getting really frustrated with how I was launching and bogging, so I tapped the clutch in the middle of 1st gear and it brought the front end right up and WHEELIE! Not like that blue car though, ha! I missed 4th on runs 2, 4, and 5. I was beginning to wonder if having dropped the bike on myself while unloading (rolled my ankle, slipped, fell, sacrificed the body, saved the machine) might have damaged my shifter somehow but then I shifted fine on run 6, just tapping the clutch while keeping the throttle wide open. Seems to be OK during a short back road hop this morning. In all I think you are right, a marked improvement over last track date. I never got into the 13's at least.

Those other "harley dudes" were just jerks. We got up to the staging line and I was on the left and he said "what side are you running on?" And I'm like, "left". (Like, duh look where we are, a question you should have asked yesterday!) And he simply didn't line up with me. I couldn't see his time but he was coming down on my return, so I know he went and then after that he just didn't move when they made the "twist your throttle" motion and waved us in. I know he ran, though because again I'd see him coming down as I was returning. He was even in the right lane, so my choice didn't seem to have anything to do with his decision to not line up with me. They wouldn't even talk to me in the staging area and I was the one who stuck out my hand and said my name. Maybe they were dropped on their heads as kids. I'm usually pretty friendly and have no problem meeting and talking to the crotch rocket guys when they show up and spank me.

Thanks for the confirmation advice. Ima gonna order a 26 tooth this week. When I do take the highway it's only for a half hour or so. Usually I'm on a back country road, wondering why I can't match my speed/RPM/gear "feel". Bike feels great as everyone knows over 4K RPM. But all our roads in my stomping grounds are like 45 mph because of all the farm traffic. Sure, I get squirrely sometimes ha but we have Sheriffs marauding so I don't want to get stopped.

This is my shop. But hey, I've got wifi!

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Great story & shop ! yea missing a gear will do that - maybe time for an air shifter then maybe later a racing clutch or just a set of red barnett racing clutch springs - good luck let us know how the 26 tooth does ! (y) :cool:

·
Registered Insane
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great story & shop ! yea missing a gear will do that - maybe time for an air shifter then maybe later a racing clutch or just a set of red barnett racing clutch springs - good luck let us know how the 26 tooth does ! (y) :cool:
Will those red springs work with my slipper clutch?

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I believe so but ask Barnett to be sure but if they list '08 & up they all have slipper clutches. Another tip I thought of put the 26 tooth on there using the 28 tooth belt. If you're lucky it'll have enough cam adjuster on the back wheel to adjust the belt tension - if so you've saved the cost of a new belt and increased the wheelbase which will make it less wheelie prone and more stable at high speed. Win - Win. I went the other way using a 30 tooth and a 28t belt to shorten my R Models wheelbase to make it turn better in the mountain twisties - it worked and I still have axle slot left in front of the axle and you probably will too behind the axle after you adjust the belt - and good luck ! (y) :cool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts