Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 V-ROD and noticed that I didn't have front brakes one day when moving it in the garage.

I opened the front right reservoir and noticed that is was empty. I thought this was odd as I have never seen a leak on the floor. I decided it would be a good idea to just bleed and replace both front and rear.

I bled and filled the front reservoir on the right handle without any issues. I opened the left reservoir which I believe is for the back brakes and tried to flush. I used a Mityvac to bleed the lines. Very little came out when I first opened the valve. I then tried again but pressed on the rear brake pedal to help. A little more came out but that was it. To start, I soaked all the fluid out of the reservoir and filled with new fluid. The little bit I got out from the rear valve didn't lower the fluid line much at all.

Now I have working front brakes and no back brakes.

The pressure stays on the mityvac so I know it isn't sucking air...it is like the line is closed on the front end. Is there another reservoir for the rear brakes?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I will for sure to take a look at that....thanks for heads up.
It could be pad wear and a combo of someone dropping the level in the master to keep it from leaking at the gasket. A common solution but one can get carried away and get too low. This drops available fluid as the pads wear to replacement time. I run mine low also but am aware of it and check it as mile add up . Fluid is basically mid to 3/4 up in the window with bike upright and bars straight.
Ron

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Yeah the front brakes are almost gone. Any videos you guys know of for changing? May just do the back brakes while I am at it. They don't look the best.
Sounds like you will be working on the bike yourself. Best thing you can do is pick up a Service manual for your bike. You won't regret it as it will pay for itself in no time . Way less then one hour of dealer shop labor times. Ok so you change the pads. What about a fluid flush for front and rear? Don't go half ass on me now, do it right. LOL.
Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have purchased a few items for this bike...sissy bar, kit to fix fuel gauge, etc.) but nothing much. Does everyone just purchase from the local HD dealer or does anyone have a recommended online place or national company?

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Personally? Unless it's just a few bucks for a widget, the Stealer is a last resort.

Google can be your friend. You can also try Ronnie's and NewCastle. Bear in mind that shipping is spendy, so it's best to make a single large purchase rather than multiple small ones.

There are other places out there, but those two come to mind first.

R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.