Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Hawk
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys it happened to me. I was heading to town to deliver the bike to a consignment sales place when I had a low speed low side crash. I was coming off I8 approaching a roundabout when I saw a state patrol vehicle with emergency lights on pull into the intersection and half onto the center of the roundabout. At the same time 2 emergency fire vehicles with lights on were entering the roundabout from the south. I stopped and waited until they cleared the intersection, the cop was stationary so I slowly proceeded around him, around the roundabout, through a bunch of gravel from the car the cop had unbeknownst to me, been chasing that went over the roundabout. As I approached the next roundabout on the other side of the interstate I was looking in my mirrors to see what the cop was doing to see if I had to get out of the way. As I looked up I see a mini Cooper coming around the roundabout in my route of travel, he had the right of way. I was going 15-20 mph, so I grabbed a handful of brake and instantly was slammed into the pavement on my right shoulder, I rolled once and came to a stop. My skid mark is right in the middle of a big painted white line for the crosswalk. I was wearing my full face helmet, and heavy leather coat. The back of both hands got some minor road rash, no gloves, coat got some scrapes, helmet took a shot to the right side. Bike hit on the right side, caught the right side controls on the pavement and flipped over to the left side. Damage was not to bad considering, but it did break the foot control mount off the down tube, scraped the exhaust some, broke the clutch lever, and other small stuff. The bike does not want to shift correctly now. I spent 5 hours in the emergency room, they thought I had a broken rib and a cracked collar bone but after xrays and cat scans all is OK, just a really sore shoulder. The impact really knocked the wind out of me and it took a while to get my breath back. I had not ridden much over the past year and the rust showed. All I can say is that I'm glad I had a good helmet and leather coat on. Ride safe guys.

Mike

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
EXCELSIOR
8,459 Posts
Went down myself almost 3 years ago. Waited out some rain, was riding over Blood Mtn. GA heading south. A mile from the end doing about 20 entered an offcamber right hander and started to slide. managed to keep it vertical till the tires hit the painted dual centerline and went down like a ton of bricks on my right shoulder.

Scrambled to the side of the road and luckily no cars were coming the other way, but hurt. 4-5 cars stopped and a couple guys picked my bike up a wheeled it to the side. Damage to bike like yours was largely cosmetic, only cost me around $300 to replace parts but I had 3 fractured ribs, scapula and one broken oh forget what it's called, one of those little nubs on the spine, transverse something or other.

I rode it the last mile to the bottom of the mountain while a guy followed and pulled into a BBQ place. I sat outside and called my wife to bring the trailer and waited. She and her son came, loaded the bike and we took it home, unloaded then I had her take me to the ER.

Brand new rain suit over my regular padded riding gear. Rain suit was trashed but gear unscathed, some scrapes on helmet. All in all pretty fortunate.

Happy to hear that you fared pretty well. (y)

·
VRSC est -03
2,765 Posts
The back of both hands got some minor road rash, no gloves, coat got some scrapes, helmet took a shot to the right side.
Thank godness you came ok from this. It could ended much worse.
Gloves recommended...

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,396 Posts
Glad you are OK and the damage doesn't look to significant

·
The Hawk
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They may total it, parts are hard to find, right side down tube on the frame needs replaced and the shift lever took a hit and may have damaged the shift fork or the shift fork rod. That requires pulling the engine and splitting the case. Cost would exceed the value. Insurance is going to take the bike to Phoenix for closer evaluation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They may total it, parts are hard to find, right side down tube on the frame needs replaced and the shift lever took a hit and may have damaged the shift fork or the shift fork rod. That requires pulling the engine and splitting the case. Cost would exceed the value. Insurance is going to take the bike to Phoenix for closer evaluation.

Get it back from them now or you're effed. Went to the stealer first thing the next day with a trailer and took my bike back from them. They'll try to get your title if you own it outright. They pulled that on me. Call your insurance and tell them you're keeping it, don't give them your title. Find a good indy to check the bike before you throw in the towel.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
First off, sorry about you incident . That sucks. I agree, get the bike back home. All the parts you mentioned can be sourced, new and used. Fredee is making new frame rails and shift shafts currently. Frame rail, that's bolt on should never be grounds for a write off but that trick is pulled way too often.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Yup, that's how they do it get the vehicle away from the insurance customer then start screwing them - they won't evaluate shit. They'll take the bike, pay you off, not fix it, put it in a yard running up storage bills then have Copart sell it to a Dumb A$$ that pays retail money for a crashed VRod - screwing him, this is how the games played now. I don't know what the insured value is but they rarely fix bikes anymore - if you still want it tell them Elgavilan - all that's fixable but if you still have the bike try to free up the shifter that's the pacing make or break item all else is cosmetic - then tell them what the repair total is in parts get a printed quote from H-D and estimate labor - that's what I did a few years ago when a girl backed into my bike with me on it and I fell over hitting my head on the pavement, luckily had a Shoei full face on - my newly installed R model sport ( smaller ) engine guards saved my leg from being crushed and her insurance paid me many many thousands, I fixed it myself - had thousands left over for goodies and new engine parts. Just glad you're OK - getting run over by another vehicle is the worst case scenario glad you got the hell off the road asap. Crashing SUCKS !

·
The Hawk
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, they totalled it, payout is actually not bad so I'm OK with it. I'm 68 with 2 artificial knees so I'm going to stick with other hobbies, I'm done with riding motorcycles. I'll be listening a bunch of vrod stuff in the classifieds soon.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
CRAP now we lost Elgavilan ! OK so now I only got 6 years of riding left ? Unless I average the other guy in at what 74 ? was done after his crash so that gives me like 9 years left - shit I better slow down and ride real careful or it might not last the 6 years I definitely don't want another neck operation and a longer Ti plate in it I can tell ya that !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts