Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I've been having some stomach pain for the past week or so-- pretty much since I got back from Afghanistan. It was a strange "come and go" pain. I'd been putting off going to the doc, thinking I'd get better on my own-- I thought I might have picked up a bug downrange, eaten some bad food or something along those lines; basically, typical pilot-doctor avoidance.

My wife, who was leaving in the morning for three weeks for business finally snapped and dragged me to the ER at about midnight last night when my pain level suddenly started to increase significantly. They pumped me full of anti-spasm drugs and morphine and ended up doing a CT scan of my lower abdomen.

Aaaaand then they got all serious. From the time they got the CT scan results to the time I was on the table having emergency surgery was less than an hour-- they had me prepped on the table waiting for the on-call surgeon to arrive. It turns out that I had an appendix teetering on the edge of going kablooey and they got to it just in time.

They did it laproscopically, so the surgeon went through my navel and two other one inch incisions. I was in recovery for 12 hours, and they let me go home tonight instead of spending the night in the hospital.

I should be able to get back in the jet in about two weeks-- the healing time on the laproscopic (instead of the one big cut) procedure is WAY shorter!

And my wife? She ROCKS. After I got out of surgery, she drove to the airport, flew to San Diego, dropped off all of the "absolutely must be there or the entire race series is cancelled" papers/packages to her boss, briefed him on what he was going to have to do, and then turned around and flew back to Denver and came directly to the hospital to pick me up. No negotiation, no nothing-- she told them to pound sand, and that she would see them in Durango next week for the first end-stage of the Race Across theWest/Race Across America.

Dear God, I love that woman.

And Percoset. Pretty much love that drug too. We were planning to bring the bikes to Durango to ride for a few days while she was there, but that plan might have to be deferred.

So, dodged a golden bb for sure-- a burst appendix is a pretty unpleasant way to die-- you go instantly septic and things rapidly go downhill from there-- the mortality rates are some pretty scary numbers.

R.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Yep, you're damn lucky Mrs. FBJet didn't listen to you.
Prob'ly better keep her. :D

·
Departed the Fix.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, you're damn lucky Mrs. FBJet didn't listen to you.
Prob'ly better keep her. :D
She's most definitely a keeper! It's nice when you find the love of your life the first time.

It's even nicer when she loves to ride her bike (a 2010 Nightster) and looks great doing it!

R.

PS: Percoset rocks, but it makes you itch like CRAZY! Better than the pain I suppose. NOT looking forward to having to get recleared to flight status by both the AF Flight Doc and the Feds. I see some long hours of paperwork in my future.

Ugh.

R.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
But at least you're here to work through the paperwork!!:dance::dance: Hope you have a quick recovery!

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
She's most definitely a keeper! It's nice when you find the love of your life the first time.

It's even nicer when she loves to ride her bike (a 2010 Nightster) and looks great doing it!

R.

PS: Percoset rocks, but it makes you itch like CRAZY! Better than the pain I suppose. NOT looking forward to having to get recleared to flight status by both the AF Flight Doc and the Feds. I see some long hours of paperwork in my future.

Ugh.

R.
Glad to hear your ok. Benedryl might help with the itching.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
First off, thanks for your service, & thanks goes to the wife, WOW.
MY little man has been sick the past few weeks...bringing him to a Dr. Today to check him out. His spleen is inflamed.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Hope your little guy is OK. No fun when the little ones aren't feeling good.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Darn dude, you had to be in more pain than you are letting on if you had a bad appendix. Most of us would be doubled over in pain and you are up there flying a big cargo jet.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
So. I've been having some stomach pain for the past week or so-- pretty much since I got back from Afghanistan. It was a strange "come and go" pain. I'd been putting off going to the doc, thinking I'd get better on my own-- I thought I might have picked up a bug downrange, eaten some bad food or something along those lines; basically, typical pilot-doctor avoidance.

My wife, who was leaving in the morning for three weeks for business finally snapped and dragged me to the ER at about midnight last night when my pain level suddenly started to increase significantly. They pumped me full of anti-spasm drugs and morphine and ended up doing a CT scan of my lower abdomen.

Aaaaand then they got all serious. From the time they got the CT scan results to the time I was on the table having emergency surgery was less than an hour-- they had me prepped on the table waiting for the on-call surgeon to arrive. It turns out that I had an appendix teetering on the edge of going kablooey and they got to it just in time.

They did it laproscopically, so the surgeon went through my navel and two other one inch incisions. I was in recovery for 12 hours, and they let me go home tonight instead of spending the night in the hospital.

I should be able to get back in the jet in about two weeks-- the healing time on the laproscopic (instead of the one big cut) procedure is WAY shorter!

And my wife? She ROCKS. After I got out of surgery, she drove to the airport, flew to San Diego, dropped off all of the "absolutely must be there or the entire race series is cancelled" papers/packages to her boss, briefed him on what he was going to have to do, and then turned around and flew back to Denver and came directly to the hospital to pick me up. No negotiation, no nothing-- she told them to pound sand, and that she would see them in Durango next week for the first end-stage of the Race Across theWest/Race Across America.

Dear God, I love that woman.

And Percoset. Pretty much love that drug too. We were planning to bring the bikes to Durango to ride for a few days while she was there, but that plan might have to be deferred.

So, dodged a golden bb for sure-- a burst appendix is a pretty unpleasant way to die-- you go instantly septic and things rapidly go downhill from there-- the mortality rates are some pretty scary numbers.

R.
Thank God your doing better,I`ll keep you in my prayers.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the kind words. Today was a rough day, and I'm trying to keep off the percoset as much as possible. My stomach feels like I got kicked by a mule, but at least I didn't wake up dead this morning.

Ugh. Emergency surgery? Not as much fun as you'd think.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes. Now, I just have to decide when it's smart to get back on the bike!

R.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Heal up. Glad you are ok. Every day, it hurts less. One day, soon, you will sit on the bike. Then start it. Then go on a little spin. Then longer. Then forget t he pain. All better.
So be quik about it....mid west thunder is less than two Weeks out! Joe

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
What does an appendix actually do ?

Good to hear your still upright !

BT
Appendix may refer to:

Addendum, any addition to a document, such as a book or legal contract
Bibliography, a systematic list of books and other works
Index (publishing), a list of words or phrases with pointers to where related material can be found in a document
Specifically, a text added to the end of a book or an article, containing information that is important to, but is not the main idea of, the main text

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
Appendix may refer to:

Addendum, any addition to a document, such as a book or legal contract
Bibliography, a systematic list of books and other works
Index (publishing), a list of words or phrases with pointers to where related material can be found in a document
Specifically, a text added to the end of a book or an article, containing information that is important to, but is not the main idea of, the main text
You idiot.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Glad you got it in time and Have a Super Wife to take care of you ! Take care and Heal up and be riding the bike soon. In my Prayers for smooth recovery and be flying again.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Glad you are okay,

Pain sucks, I had mine out years ago. spent a few night in the hopsital on drip. no fun.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
you are lucky indeed, I had same experience but with my gallbladder, 24 hrs more and I'd been dead, had gone gangrene, best of luck to ya, probably be sore for a month

1 - 20 of 21 Posts