Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After cruising the Virginia countryside this weekend I now have 300 miles on my 03 Anniversary Vrod!!!!!

I really can't believe how smooth the V-rod is. I didn't expect that but am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the Sundowner Touring Seat suggestions. Great support and very comfortable. My back did great. Oh.... It was easy to install too!

I've decided on the SE 16 gage double barrel exhust. If all goes well I will have them installed with the air filter and download this weekend. I'm going to stay with the T30 though.

The only problem I have with my bike is that it has stalled on me twice since I've had it. Both times it happened when pulling in the clutch when slowing and as the RPM's dropped, it stalled. It idles at about 1100, but not smooth as glass. Should it be? It's never stalled from an idle but sometimes does sound like it wants to. Is the stalling just something I have to deal with with the V-rod or does it need service? Any help would be appreciated.

I have no regrets whatsoever with the V-rod. It's the best looking cruiser ever built, (A masterpiece of art) and the handling and power is truly mind boggling. I still have smile left over from when I rode it home last week.

The other thing I've noticed on several occasions in the few days I've had it is that the V-rod doesn't get the "nice ride" comments here and there. It gets crowds with the "nice ride" comments. Amazing!!!

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Welcome ! Others do seem to have the stall thing happen, but by no means all. I'm not sure what causes it. Have fun on it!

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Congrats on the new V-rod. First, being an '03 with only 300 miles, was this bike sitting at a dealer with an old tank of gas to get you started. Also, has the bike had the fuel flange recall done (the mostly likely cause if the recall has not been done). Once the bike has been fully broken in (somewhere between 1,000 - 2,500) miles, some of the initial problems and squeaks go away - and get replaced by new ones.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Coolbreeze,
I have the same set-up as your going for. I have an 03 with Sundowner and 16ga SE mufflers. I bought it with 1000 miles on it and it had the 1000 mile service done before I bought it and the 16ga's installed by the dealer from new so I didn't have them installed---they were already on.
I had my 2500 service done last weekend and no problems showed up. I have had nothing but good experiences with mine....no stalling or any problems. I don't know if the recall was done on mine or not but I have no reason to even check because it runs smooth and has for the last 1700 miles I put on it.
I also have the 30T sprocket and will not change it. I can get about 140 miles per tank of gas and it runs at lower rpms then the 28T sprocket. Most of the owners that have the 28T sprocket like it but they are all asking for a 6th gear. I'm happy with my 5 gears.

You will like the set-up when your done. By the way--the 16ga's will get louder over time. I notice a difference in the 1700 miles I have logged on my bike in the last few weeks.

Have nothing but fun :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jcolodny said:
Congrats on the new V-rod. First, being an '03 with only 300 miles, was this bike sitting at a dealer with an old tank of gas to get you started. Also, has the bike had the fuel flange recall done (the mostly likely cause if the recall has not been done). Once the bike has been fully broken in (somewhere between 1,000 - 2,500) miles, some of the initial problems and squeaks go away - and get replaced by new ones.
I checked with the dealer the bike came from today to ask specifically about any recalls. I was told that my bike has no recalls it needs.
Was there a recall on that model? If yes, I wonder if they did it before it was delivered to the original owner?
If there was a recall I guess I need to call them back to get clarification.
Was there a recall on the 03 for the fuel flange?
As for gas, I've gone through a couple tanks now, but now that you mention it, I did notice it seems to be running better today. Hmmmm, maybe the old gas is or was part of the problem. Thanks

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
The fuel flange needs to be repaired! If it has already been done, thats ok, but check!. All '03's need the fix. I believe. I have the combo you are going for and after 12,000 miles can say I have had no problems. I wouldn't change the sprocket, either. RE: stalling - I always blip the throttle when downshifting, and have had the bike stall about half dozen times in the time I have had it. Usually right after retsarting it when it is hot, like when getting gas. Jamie said in the chat last night that there is little rotating mass in the v-rod so one has to be carefull. And practice with the clutch.

Welcome to our addiction.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Cool Breeze, with the bike running and no more than half a tank of gas, open the fuel cap and look into the tank. You should not see any fuel spraying around. If you do, then you need the flange replaced. I have an '03 and had the recall done. Smoothed out the idle, but I never had a stalling problem.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks much for all of your help. :plause:

I'll be at the dealer on Saturday and will mention all of your suggestions and see what they say. Being able to see the bike as I'm describing what's been going on should help.

I'm really looking forward to the SE exhust! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts