·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you like the new ride Bill. :thumb:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks Pat. I was going to make an introduction post but didn't want to do it until I had pics :eek:)

I've been riding a GSXR-750 this summer until about three weeks ago when I went online and saw the Night Rod Special on the HD website for the first time. Like many of you, it was love at first sight. After Fly's suggestion and Patm's detailed help I drove over to Michigan on Friday, less than two weeks later, and picked up my '07 Vivid Black with Denim stripes!

It has 1,600 miles and has the baffles removed. Not only is the warranty transferrable here (until June '09) but after all taxes and fee's I'm saving $4K over the price of a used DX locally.

This site has been great and I've been using the search function religiously. I've got a PCIII and K&N on order as well as a list of aesthetic mods I plan to do.

Thanks to everybody who has PM'ed me with their thoughts on going to a cruiser from a sportbike. I absolutely love "cruising" and there's no going back to sportbikes for me after this!

Pics soon!

Bill

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
chenner said:
I absolutely love "cruising" and there's no going back to sportbikes for me after this!

Pics soon!

Bill
Hi Bill and welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

You picked the best color combo in my unbiased opinion ;)

Enjoy the ride and hope you get some good riding in up there before it gets too cold. I think it would be incredible riding out into Algonquin on the DX.

Looking forward to some pics with some awesome scenery :)

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After Fly's suggestion and Patm's detailed help I drove over to Michigan on Friday, less than two weeks later, and picked up my '07 Vivid Black with Denim stripes!

Oh ya, thanks Mark ( aka: Fly )

I don't have enough to do already. I'll now add HD Importer / Facilitator to my business card. Send me your social insurance numbers I'm claiming you both as dependents this year. LOL! :)

:vrodforu: Bill.

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
Congrats chenner. Glad to see you make the move to the Dark Side. I told you you'd love the bike!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Paul DX said:
Congrats chenner. Glad to see you make the move to the Dark Side. I told you you'd love the bike!!!!:cheers:
Yep, your assessment was right on!

Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
This can't be a proper introductory post without some pics of the new bike:

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
I like your wheel nut covers there!!! Where did you get them or were they already on the bike?

Paul

·
Registered
379 Posts
Paul DX said:
I like your wheel nut covers there!!! Where did you get them or were they already on the bike?

Paul
Thanks Paul. I bought them yesterday and had to have them once I saw them on another DX.

HD P/N 43163-08

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
Thanks man!!!!

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Congrats Chenner on the DX :notworth:
Did you get PatM to help with the importing procedure? I think he has imported more bikes than the Canadian distributor Deely.. :angeldev: :angeldev:
If you are ever down this way - look me up..

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
awesome pics!...congrats!

I have a few questions...I am down here in Niagara USA...and have several buds over in hamilton,toronto and muskoka....Many of them want to buy bikes,and now with your canuk exchange the time is right!

can you tell me what was involved?....I will be selling my sportster to a bud In hamilton next spring...and we all would love to know what we need to do when a bike goes from USA to CAN...

also,can a canuk buy a NEW bike down here?..or must it be used?....what about the KMH/MPH deal on the speedo?....since the HDs dont have KMH did you need to make any changes?..

If i get my 08DX soon,we should ride sometime before winter....Ill be up in toronto sat night for a visit to G/Fs place,then sunday we are going to Vanhalen and then the following weekend Ill be there again for the snowmobile show at the international center....I have a cottage in muskoka and ride there all winter(sleds)

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
878 Posts
congrats !!!!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
thanks stomper, and yes Patm made the entire thing a breeze. seriously, with his help everything was a walk in the park. i don't know why more people don't buy their HD's from the states.

Nos-Dan, Patm is the man to speak to about the procedure and what's needed but let me answer your immediate questions. i called HD Buffalo and they are not allowed to sell new bikes to canadians. plus, since you would have to pay their sales tax and then ours as well it may not be as beneficial.
to get a safety in ontario you are required to convert the speedo over to kph. i was quoted around $500. luckily my sportbike shop safetied it anyway and the guy from canadian tire doing the inspection said he'd write it was in km as well.

when you get your bike let me know and we'll hook up for a ride. maybe we'll do a central meet where stomper and everyone else can join us.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
congrats on the new ride!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The skull axel caps look great...There is also a skull horn cover that would look good too.....vivid black with red skull........may put one on my DX. I just bought new Kuryakin pegs today.....gonna take them apart, rough up the chrome and paint them black....then put the rubber back in them. I am not going to powder coat them since I can't seem to stop dragging them on the freeway ramps here...I have gotten pegs that are 4.5 inches long (about 1" longer than the little stock pegs) so I can get my right leg far enough from the pipes to stop burning it. The Kuryakin pegs are as a group good looking and you can remove the rubber inserts for painting or powder coating...Also you can buy replacement rubber inserts when the old ones get worn....they have matching grips, shift pegs and brake pedal pads too.....Give you some continuity of look....

Have fun making it yours!!!
RaderDX

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
chenner said:
thanks stomper, and yes Patm made the entire thing a breeze. seriously, with his help everything was a walk in the park. i don't know why more people don't buy their HD's from the states.

Nos-Dan, Patm is the man to speak to about the procedure and what's needed but let me answer your immediate questions. i called HD Buffalo and they are not allowed to sell new bikes to canadians. plus, since you would have to pay their sales tax and then ours as well it may not be as beneficial.
to get a safety in ontario you are required to convert the speedo over to kph. i was quoted around $500. luckily my sportbike shop safetied it anyway and the guy from canadian tire doing the inspection said he'd write it was in km as well.

when you get your bike let me know and we'll hook up for a ride. maybe we'll do a central meet where stomper and everyone else can join us.
thanks!...sounds great.....My bud in Hamilton is buying my sporty so I will find out the rest....

oh yah,I know im gonna do my first ride to DOVER next year..i think the 13th is in june....so,it would be great to get abunch of us RODS going together for that !..

talk with ya soon
dan

·
Registered
379 Posts
RaderDX said:
The skull axel caps look great...There is also a skull horn cover that would look good too.....vivid black with red skull........may put one on my DX. I just bought new Kuryakin pegs today.....gonna take them apart, rough up the chrome and paint them black....then put the rubber back in them. I am not going to powder coat them since I can't seem to stop dragging them on the freeway ramps here...I have gotten pegs that are 4.5 inches long (about 1" longer than the little stock pegs) so I can get my right leg far enough from the pipes to stop burning it. The Kuryakin pegs are as a group good looking and you can remove the rubber inserts for painting or powder coating...Also you can buy replacement rubber inserts when the old ones get worn....they have matching grips, shift pegs and brake pedal pads too.....Give you some continuity of look....

Have fun making it yours!!!
RaderDX
does anybody know of any other aftermarket vendors that make parts for our bike? i saw the kuryakin stuff but wouldn't mind even more selection.

p.s. saw the horn cover and in the process of ordering one :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
chenner said:
does anybody know of any other aftermarket vendors that make parts for our bike? i saw the kuryakin stuff but wouldn't mind even more selection.

p.s. saw the horn cover and in the process of ordering one :)
First, check out the site sponsors.

Personally, I like some of the Arlen Ness pegs, grips and mirrors.

And WeLcOmE!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts