Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bike out yesterday and noticed some splatters on the airbox cover paint--right underneath where the left handlebar unit that contains the horn/turn-indicator buttons is when the handlebars are turned to the left. It was slightly discolored (a little darker) and looked like drips of liquid had hardened on the paint (I could see a raised outline around the spots under indirect light). I tried a wet towel and then Mother's Showtime and neither even made a dent. Now, of course, it's the only thing I see when I look at the bike.

I'm going to try some fine grit polishing compound tonight to hopefully at least reduce the spotting, but does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I've never ridden in the rain, the bike stays under cover in a garage, and since getting the bike at the end of May, I've waxed the tins twice. Is there any liquid reservoir located anywhere on the left side of the handlebars that may be leaking onto the paint?

Any help would be appreciated--if I can fix it, I definitely don't want it happening again.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Make sure your clutch master isn't leaking. If it is then it is dot 4 and will damage the paint. Also if it is the master leaking and your under warranty then the paint should be covered also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Max. Any quick way to check or is it just a visual inspection?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
YellowR said:
Thanks, Max. Any quick way to check or is it just a visual inspection?
A visual inspection is about all you can do. Usually it will leave a light tracer. You can also put a paper towel down under it when you park it, they show stains very well if you are leaking.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OP:

If the drips aren't from the DOT4, try getting them off w/ some adhesive remover (I use 3M) before going after the paint w/ a gritty polish. As long as you're careful, it will not damage the paint.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, guys. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
My first move would be to use a Clay Bar product for paint that is made to remove surface contaminents. You will spray the surface with the ShowTime and then glide the clay bar over the surface and follow it with a good polishing.

I have done my car, truck and V-Rod with a Clay Bar and the results are great.

·
The Hawk
3,892 Posts
Plain old WD-40 works to dissolve most road crap that sticks to the paint, just don't leave it on there for an extended period.

Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Balls. The polishing compound reduced the visibility of the spots but I can still feel them. I couldn't pick up any residue from the clutch master with my hand, but i stuck a paper towel underneath to catch any leakage that might occur. I'll try grease remover/WD40 and clay bar this weekend, but I'm beginning to think it's a defect from the dealer as my clutch lever also has some similarly sized spots on the back (handlebar) side of it that I can't remove no matter how much I polish--and I noticed those as soon as I got it home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts