Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out. I have a creaking sound coming from the rear when the bike goes forward (not appearing when backing up).
Please see the following YouTube-video for details:

The bike has only gone just above 3000 km at this point, so it´s basically brand new. I have ridden it with this sound for a while, I think, because the exhaust drowns it out. The bike rides like the usual rocket, so everything is fine in that regard.
Oil-level is full and the quality is still clean, no soot. Changed at 1600 km.

I´ve checked for stones and other elements which may have gotten stuck somewhere, but I can't see anything.
There's nothing touching the belt or rear wheel either, at least nothing I can see with the naked eye.

Anyone know what this is?

BR,
Tommy

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out. I have a creaking sound coming from the rear when the bike goes forward (not appearing when backing up).
Please see the following YouTube-video for details:

The bike has only gone just above 3000 km at this point, so it´s basically brand new. I have ridden it with this sound for a while, I think, because the exhaust drowns it out. The bike rides like the usual rocket, so everything is fine in that regard.
Oil-level is full and the quality is still clean, no soot. Changed at 1600 km.

I´ve checked for stones and other elements which may have gotten stuck somewhere, but I can't see anything.
There's nothing touching the belt or rear wheel either, at least nothing I can see with the naked eye.

Anyone know what this is?

BR,
Tommy
I suspect the belts cog sounds. Seems too quick in frequency for a bearing. Coat the outer edge of the belt with bee's wax or candle wax and see if the sound goes away. Soapy water might work as well. If it does, the belt adjustment might be too tight or tracking too hard against the outer edge of the sprocket. You can jack the rear wheel off the ground as well and try finding it that way too. Makes rotating easier but it will slightly loosen the belt and if a bearing it will take the load off and might not make the sound. Spin the tire and follow the sound. A belt can also make a click or chirp, squeak sound, for the same reasons.
Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron, I´ll try your wax-trick.
I also sent the youtube-link to my closest HD dealer about 20 min ride from where I live.
One of the guys there answered he thought he saw something weird between the pulley and the rim, hinting that the bearing is shot. He said they wouldn't advice driving it until the bearing has been looked at.
Well, I'm neither a mechanic nor do I own a lift, so I'm waiting for a reply to what I should do at this point. I could buy a lift and learn how to take the wheel off, but I'm also in the process of selling the bike, so it feels kind of a waste.
Theres another mechanic who's not HD certified, but he is awesome and always does a great job (he changed rear tire and bearing on my previous v-rod a while ago), and he's about 10 minutes away. I guess the bike would survive a trip to him.

BR,
Tommy

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Thanks Ron, I´ll try your wax-trick.
I also sent the youtube-link to my closest HD dealer about 20 min ride from where I live.
One of the guys there answered he thought he saw something weird between the pulley and the rim, hinting that the bearing is shot. He said they wouldn't advice driving it until the bearing has been looked at.
Well, I'm neither a mechanic nor do I own a lift, so I'm waiting for a reply to what I should do at this point. I could buy a lift and learn how to take the wheel off, but I'm also in the process of selling the bike, so it feels kind of a waste.
Theres another mechanic who's not HD certified, but he is awesome and always does a great job (he changed rear tire and bearing on my previous v-rod a while ago), and he's about 10 minutes away. I guess the bike would survive a trip to him.

BR,
Tommy
Tommy. Take it to the 10 minute away guy instead of the HD mech. I've found over time, shops that work on all kinds of bikes are usually smarter and won't hose you. HD struggles to even fix their own shit that only changes once in 25 years.
Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do that.
Thanks, Ron. Your tips and feedback is, as always, greatly appreciated.

BR,
Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts