2 Pairs socks
2 T-shirts
1 sweatshirt
1 pair Jeans
1 toothbrush + half sized toothpaste
I Razor
Half bar soap
I razor

All packed in carrier bag bungied on back seat.

·
Registered Used
337 Posts
More than once a week?
How many pairs of pants have you got in your drawers then?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,367 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
"and had room for my travel humidor and a 5th of grey goose.. "
Got to have room for lifes simple pleasures or it's not a proper holiday. Way to travel :thumb:
Not a smoker myself but always a niche for a good bottle of liquor and shall we say some defensive hardware.

·
Registered Used
337 Posts
Hi rc4man
Bags look quite tidy. Might have a look at them myself.

Once did two weeks in Spain on my Blade, with 3 mates on their Blades, with only one pair of everything plus swimming trunks. Washed underwear every 2 days and it was so hot they would dry in 10 minutes, course took me longer than that to dry out as the local vino is only 90 cents a bottle.

·
Registered Used
337 Posts
Welcome ianbob:vrodforu:
Stick your name down on the "New to the V-Rod community" section.

·
Greg
603 Posts
rc4man said:
Bag photos, shown installed, straps attach to turn signal stalk and around shock spacer, when removed bags have handle to be carried as luggage, also shown in combination with my HD overnight bag.
Might be a stupid question (especially given the great pictures you posted), but are those bags just slung over the passenger seat, held by those wide straps, and then tied to the turn signal and shock -- no other mounting hardware required? Thanks.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,367 Posts
wi.st.rod said:
Might be a stupid question (especially given the great pictures you posted), but are those bags just slung over the passenger seat, held by those wide straps, and then tied to the turn signal and shock -- no other mounting hardware required? Thanks.
That's correct. They're what are called "throw over bags". The straps over the seat are velcro and can be separated to adjust for width or how far down you need them to hang.
They also have detachable loops that can be looped to some frame member or other point on the bike then clipped to an adjustable length strap at both the front and rear ends of the bag to keep them secure and not flapping in the breeze.
The mounting pictures show that it seems to fit naturally on the bike and from the identical looking setup on 3olivemartini's bike shows I'm not alone. She ran her forward strap down to the frame member which I had done in my first installation before later deciding to use the shock spacer.
The back rest mounted overnight bag is part of the HD Sac line available from Harley dealers and it was intended for a Softtail. It just happened to fit the "touring" size back rest pad and was around $100. It is pretty roomy and has zipped end pockets as well.
I am not a serious tourer but intend to make a couple casual trips this year. The combo appears to have enough room to hold what I would need for a few days to a week, are light weight, easy to carry and easy to remove or attach to the bike.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i ran mine to the frame.. that was my second time using the bags.. and it seemed to hold them a little better since i didnt have a back rest.. or luggage rack.. nor do i ever intend to install one.. however MegaZ made me a rack that fits between my seat and passenger pillion that help support the bags that i used going to KC...but i still used the frame rail..

i love my bags.. i wouldnt use anything permanent.. i like my bike naked best but am a bagger out of necessity for trips since i dont trailer my bike

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I use the Harley hard bags also because it's nice to have space to carry things. With the SAC bag on the back rest my wife and I easily pack for a weekend and by myself I can go for a week or better. The best part is I can remove the bags in about five minutes with tools I carry (in them) if I want the bike naked. I can go from tourer (windshield and bags) to cruiser in less than ten minutes. And, the chrome hard bags really don't look too bad on my '02 A.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I ended up installing the short sissybar and baseplate. Even with the short sissybar, I have a tall T-Bag that I tie on with the straps that are included. It seems like the bag would be too top heavy and just fall off. But it's not. I made it all the way to Sturgis and back and all the riding while I was there for a total of 4000 miles with no problems. It's amazing how much a little bit of tie down will hold so much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
modified list

7 Day Trip:
Clothes I'm wearing
2 Pairs Underpants
2 Pairs socks
2 T-shirts
1 sweatshirt
1 pair Jeans
1 toothbrush + half sized toothpaste
I Razor
Half bar soap
I razor
Modified your list some: :dance:

clothes I'm wearing consist of leather pants/jacket, polypropelyne t-shirt, sweat or wool/flanel shirt depending on weather.

1 pair of undies can go 4 days: frontways then backways then inside out frontways then backways (just kidding lol)

socks? see undies above

No t's for me

already wearing the sweat shirt

no jeans: leathers work well and have vents if it gets too warm

Okay---I'm with ya on the toothbrush/toothpaste, but really just buy them when ya get there and throw them away when ya go back home

I don't shave so I don't need a razor

This is travelin' light old school. did sturgis twce on a Knucklehead this way with only changes being: 2 pair of gym shorts (nylon, wash 1 pair when gets dirty by hand and hang to dry) instead of undies and I bought socks on the way(throways), also had a rain suit, sleeping bag and tent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Taller Sissy Bar????

rc4man said:
Bag photos, shown installed, straps attach to turn signal stalk and around shock spacer, when removed bags have handle to be carried as luggage, also shown in combination with my HD overnight bag.
RC4MAN - Thanks for the pics. Your Sissy Bar is several inches taller than my H-D Bar. I think my wiife would appreciate the extra support on long trips. Can you tell me what it is, part # etc, and where you got it from? Thanks for your help.

Tony

·
Charlie
99 Posts
rc4man said:
For X-mas I got a set of Cortech throwover Sportbike bags.
They are nylon with foam pads on the inner sides. The straps connecting them are velcro adjustable to draw them up and closer together so that they do not interfere with the wheel/tire in anyway. When cinched up to where the bag tops are just below or level with the passenger seat they fit between the shocks and turn lamps.
Check picture, though I got them in black, not the red shown.
They are very similar to the HD nylon bags and like the HD bags come with pull over rain covers.
Price $135
If you like I can take a photo this weekend of them on my bike as a better actual example than the sportbike pictured below.
Additionally they have a zip open expansion area like luggage for increased internal room.
I have these same bags on my bike. I decided to go with these chrome support brackets. IMHO they look much better than the HD brackets, are much cheaper, and don't detract from the look of the bike when the bags are not mounted. They are made by MC Enterprises and attach with two bolts to either side of the rear fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bag photos, shown installed, straps attach to turn signal stalk and around shock spacer, when removed bags have handle to be carried as luggage, also shown in combination with my HD overnight bag.[Hi. Where did your wife buy it?]

·
Registered
74 Posts
It was mentioned before but I still don't see how bags that have contact with paint (foam protection, velvet, or anything else) would not create wear spot from 100's of miles vibrating and rubbing. These pictures...none of the straps/bags touch the paint as they hang over the fender?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts