Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a luggage question concerning taking weekend trips on the DX. In the past, on another bike, it was easy by strapping a T Bag to the backrest. On the DX, in order to attach a T Bag, I would have to add a backrest along with the base plate, which I really prefer not doing. Another option is throw over saddle bags. My concern with this option is ugly bags supports that keep the bag from hitting the rear wheel. The other concern is the bags rubbing and scratching the fender. I know if I go by myself, I can just strap a bag to the rear seat. Not a problem. If I take a passenger, I’m not sure how to take our luggage with us. I really don’t want to load the bike on a trailer just because I can’t haul our luggage. I really would like some suggestions of what everyone else is using.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Dukecityevo said:
I have a luggage question concerning taking weekend trips on the DX. In the past, on another bike, it was easy by strapping a T Bag to the backrest. On the DX, in order to attach a T Bag, I would have to add a backrest along with the base plate, which I really prefer not doing. Another option is throw over saddle bags. My concern with this option is ugly bags supports that keep the bag from hitting the rear wheel. The other concern is the bags rubbing and scratching the fender. I know if I go by myself, I can just strap a bag to the rear seat. Not a problem. If I take a passenger, I’m not sure how to take our luggage with us. I really don’t want to load the bike on a trailer just because I can’t haul our luggage. I really would like some suggestions of what everyone else is using.
Thanks,
Ed
You can put a base plate on with no fender modifications. There are already holes on the fender under the passenger pillion for you to put a baseplate on. The pillion is really easy to remove and replace. I have had mine off all the time and only put it on for trips and such. Recently I installed it on my buddy's bike in about 10 minutes in the middle of a ride because his girl was hurtin without a backrest. Literally, 10 minutes to put it on. Then you would have no problem putting a luggage rack on the baseplate and strapping a bag to the backrest.
Also, and I hate to tell you this, but you're kinda screwed if you want to travel 2 up with a lot of luggage on these things. You bought the wrong bike for that kind of riding.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
For X-mas I got a set of Cortech throwover Sportbike bags.
They are nylon with foam pads on the inner sides. The straps connecting them are velcro adjustable to draw them up and closer together so that they do not interfere with the wheel/tire in anyway. When cinched up to where the bag tops are just below or level with the passenger seat they fit between the shocks and turn lamps.
Check picture, though I got them in black, not the red shown.
They are very similar to the HD nylon bags and like the HD bags come with pull over rain covers.
Price $135
If you like I can take a photo this weekend of them on my bike as a better actual example than the sportbike pictured below.
Additionally they have a zip open expansion area like luggage for increased internal room.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you about long distance rides & tons of luggage. Curently I have a Softail for that until I sell it. I'm thinking of one bag to head to local rallies like Durango & Ruidoso. Further rallies like Laughlin yes I will be a trailer queen.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Ed

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Dukecityevo said:
I hear you about long distance rides & tons of luggage. Curently I have a Softail for that until I sell it. I'm thinking of one bag to head to local rallies like Durango & Ruidoso. Further rallies like Laughlin yes I will be a trailer queen.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Ed
I have no problem with a trailer. Hell, we trailered ours to Durango last summer in lieu of riding and I was much happier because of all the extra necessities we could bring. Plus, my ass starts to hurt after a few hours. :D And so what if its my own fault, that sundowner seat may be comfy but its fugly and distorts the look of the bike IMO.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rc4man,
If it's not too much trouble to take a picture, that would be great. Can you remove the bag on the passenger portion and just have the 2 bags on the sides in order to take a passenger?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Dukecityevo said:
rc4man,
If it's not too much trouble to take a picture, that would be great. Can you remove the bag on the passenger portion and just have the 2 bags on the sides in order to take a passenger?
I did not get the center bag, thats a separate item.
I'll shoot a pic this weekend.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always go to Durango. Last year I decided to go to Thunder in the Rockies, the one in Loveland. I did trailer it out to COS and then rode the rest of the way. Great rally if you never been. Most of the time I'll be solo but I want an option to bring along some cloths and a passenger.

·
Tracey
405 Posts
RC4man I have those same bags in black I bought for the Ninja I traded in..... had not even thought that they might work on the V-Rod! Will have to try that. :banghead:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Bag photos, shown installed, straps attach to turn signal stalk and around shock spacer, when removed bags have handle to be carried as luggage, also shown in combination with my HD overnight bag.

Attachments

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
here are my cortechs mounted with the cortech tail bag
What size bags are those, Elizabeth?

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
I have a Cool, SAC set and a set of removable sadle bags.
http://www.coolsac.com/ProductGroup.aspx?page=1&SKU=310-css300l!studgrp&category_code=LUGGAGE
They served me well during my trip from the DC area to Texas. Water proof inserts came in handy in Louisanna. Aside from all the crap it permitted to take, including a laptop, it worked well as a back rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dukecityevo said:
Thanks,
Ed
If you know your destination, FedEx your luggage ahead of time. No bags required.:notworth:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great point about Fed X.
I always went with the moto what ever you can't carry in your pocket, you really don't need to bring. The girlfriend doesn't see it that way though.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
justin the saddle bags are 12"H x 15"W x 7"D and they do expand.. the tail bag is ..8.5"H x 15"W x 13"L and it expands a little on the sides as well.. i used these last year to go to MWT.. i packed for 4 days easily with rain gear and had room for my travel humidor and a 5th of grey goose.. and i still had a little room for more things .. because i used space bags for my clothing.. oh i had a clutch in there too LOL..

i do have a larger set i will use next year for KC.. they are the motopak 90's and i got the rear duffle that attaches.. simply because i will need stuff for 7 days .. i havent mounted nor used those yet though

1 - 20 of 39 Posts