Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rotor Trash
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I have a couple of wax spots burnt into my stock exhaust covers. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how do you remedy the unsightly white marks on your exhaust?

Does flat BBQ paint work?

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Easy

A sleeve you cut off a t-shirt (washed a few times, preferably), a dab of MAAS Metal Polishing Creme, a little elbow grease, and Bob's Your Uncle (as our compadres across the pond might say).

·
Rotor Trash
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will that work on the black powder coat?

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Heck, I don't know; mine are chrome but MAAS Creme is 'bout the next thing to Jeweler's Rouge.
(And non-gel toothpaste is a cheap stand-in.)

BBQ paint will work but you must make sure there is absolutely no trace of oil/grease on the heat shield or it won't adhere properly. Brake Cleaner or lighter fluid (it melts all sorts of road goop, including tar), followed by soap & water oughtta do it.

·
Rotor Trash
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brother. I'll get to it this afternoon. Gotta look good for Bike Week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '08 Night Rod Spec. had various marks on the exhaust shields...
While in the States I I got some Rustoleum Flat Black paint at Walmart (just regular stuff)...used it to repair and "Voila" it looked good and never lifted or broke down in any way....

They have "Shiney, Semi-Gloss, and Flat Black" Rustoleum...I think it was the Flat I used ????
I bought all 3 kinds and even used the "Shiney" to touchup those areas (only with a paper match tip of-course)

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Thanks Brother. I'll get to it this afternoon. Gotta look good for Bike Week.
And when you get your skills all sharpened up, maybe you'd like to do some polishing on mine, maybe right after the Meet 'n' Greet Wednesday morning @8A. :rofl2::rofl:

·
Rotor Trash
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gator,

I'm a Navy Mustang. I've perfected my "polishing" skills. And no, I'm not for hire.:D

I'm heading down to DBW tomorrow and I plan to return next Thursday and possibly Saturday.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Gator,

I'm a Navy Mustang. ...
Hey, me too (of the retirded variety), and I have Brasso under the sink and Nevr-Dull in the laundry room. Hmmm - wonder if all the early experience has anything to do with the way I now hate polishing stuff? See ya Wednesday morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts