Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been watching BBC news and the full impact of the freak storms is astonishing. So much water came down yesterday and its still raining this morning.

It took me 4 hours to do a 1hr journey yesterday and my son was nearly stranded on the M5 leaving Devon at 1.30pm and eventually getting home at 10.00pm last night. He was one of the lucky ones as thousands are still stuck this morning having spent a night in their cars or shelters.

So after all the plans for Calne I thought it best to cancel, I cannot even get through to an organiser to see if the event is still on so if anyone does make it let me know how it goes.

Not to be beaten I am going to try and get another meet together in August and I would like to thank everyone I contacted for their support. If we had got a full house I reckon as many as 30 - 40 Rods could have got together, a real show of support for the Forum.

If anyone has any suggestions for a suitable venue/s please PM me and we will see what level of interest there is.

There is a custom show in North London 4th August put on by the West London Harley Riders that is a chilled out afternoon and we could combine it with a meet at the Ace Cafe. Let me know what you think.

I still do not know just how many Brits are hiding on the forum so I intend to ask Max for some advice on how we can organise ourselves a bit better for those interested in regular meets etc. Stefy and the guys from 1130cc Italia seem to be well organised so we should be able to do likewise.

For those of you who are getting better weather, enjoy. For me the only sunshine I am likely to see this weekend is watching Laguna Seca on the box!

Cheers

Skin:banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I don't think anywhere in the UK has escaped some flooding.

I was at a joint works leaving do last night and one of the guys never made it.
He had gone for an interview in Coventry (he lives near Bath). He left Coventry at 12:00 and on his way down to us he got stuck on the M40. He did not move for 3 hours. Eventually the Police sent everyone back to Birmingham.
He then had to deal with the M5. We spoke to him at 22:00 and he was stuck on the M5 and probably 2-3 hours still to go to get home.

Thanks a lot for all your efforts on getting this together.
I was all psyched up to coming this morning as the weather looks pretty OK with the occaisional shower. Calne seems to be right on the edge of the severe weather.

Still, I will be all up for another meet.
For September, there is always the "Old Wolf Charity Bike Show" 14/15-09, run by "Windsor and District Mag" in Slough.
I have never been, I just remember I had a flyer in my pocket from when I was at Dr B's at Wokingham the other week. Did the other V-Rod there belong to anyone here? It was red and won best paint.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mate, the Old Wolf sounds a possibility also there is a West London Harley Riders custom show on 4th August that is always a chilled out afternoon.

Down but not beaten - we will have our meet!

Cheers

Skin

·
Registered
206 Posts
We're pretty soggy here on the Monmouthshire/Herefordshire/Gloucestershire borders....the Rivers Wye and Monnow are looking suspect.

I'd love to meet some of the other V Rodders, however being a shopkeeper, Saturdays are no go for me.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
JollyJeweller said:
I'd love to meet some of the other V Rodders, however being a shopkeeper, Saturdays are no go for me.
Tea at your place then ;)

·
electric soup
747 Posts
nay luck bozos!, am sitting here in the south of france in clear blue 75+, unfortunately the V is stuck at home (family time, you know how it is!)

be back in blighty next friday and I will attempt to smuggle some of the med sun back with me.

dunno if any of you have ever been to cote d'azur or provence but if you are planning a bike trip this summer, the roads, food and weather here is awsome, just wish I had the bike!

·
Registered
429 Posts
:ride: Hi Jon, 4th August is Bisley and HOG rules OK for me so can't do that one.But still keen to get together.Bikesafe was good and picked up a few tips.Got complete set of A's on my assessment sheet so I guess riding for 40+ years has taught me something.Dave:ride:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I just saw some pics on the news, is it all over the country?

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
But Clive, you'll be the first to go when them sea levels rise :angeldev:
yeah, i know...thats why i am moving to the top of a hill.

actually, when you are on high ground like on the A299 heading coast bound, it is scary to observe the fragile area i live in.

1,501 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
I don't think anywhere in the UK has escaped some flooding.
We did :stilpoke: Was a bit worried about the water getting in the garage, took the drain cover off and all was ok!! One good thing about living high above London i suppose.

From what i hear it must be a Calne thing, wasn't it a tad moist last year??

If anyone is interested, Groovyknight is arranging through the Meridian chapter a curry night out in Westerham (Kent) (J5/6 M25) on September 2nd

Clive??

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
diverse said:
If anyone is interested, Groovyknight is arranging through the Meridian chapter a curry night out in Westerham (Kent) (J5/6 M25) on September 2nd

Clive??
that could be good for me but i a not a HOG member so they might kick my balls about a bit, i have got a bit of a reputation when it comes to HOG chapter meetings.
its an institutional thing that give me a nervous tick.

1,501 Posts
Anyone can join the Warr's chapters, they don't charge like most of the others. The guys are very down to earth, no snobbery about V's v Airheads.

It's more about things in common and being nice (like these forums).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Clive you don't have to be a HOG member to come to our "curry night".You may even change your mind about "chapters", if not you can always stick TWO FINGERS up to us, we won't hold it against you. Come.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
HOG UK are a bunch of winkers, IMHO.

I am a member of the largest Chapter in the UK though - Surrey Chapter UK - though they have nothing to do with HOG UK.

YET!..... are there not talks going on to re-unite with Surrey HOG when the new dealership opens. And Hey!!! some of are are alright!!!:moon:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
groovyknight said:
YET!..... are there not talks going on to re-unite with Surrey HOG when the new dealership opens. And Hey!!! some of are are alright!!!:moon:
There are plans to approach the new dealership to possibly arrange benefits, but these will strictly be from a group discount stand point.
There are no plans to re-unite with HOG UK. Nor are there any plans for Surrey HOG to join SCUK, or visa versa.

My statement about HOG UK was aimed at the upper echelons, not the members.

I still find it odd that Marjorie's Sporty won the HD English entry for the best Sporty a couple of years back.
I saw the bikes for the judging at Bisley, and there were a couple of others I thought more deserving, from both a paint and presentation point of view.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts