Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever had the bolt come loose on the top gear of this photo

When i brought it the the shop they told me the bolt was down in the oil pan.

in the photo attached it's the small gear - the bolt is out.

any comments ? is it possible to drive this bike without the bolt ?

yes this is a repost - looking for some help/advise

Attachments

·
Registered
5,818 Posts

No you can't drive it with bolt out as I've already explained in the other post. Which is stripped, the bolt or the shaft hole. Seldom both strip at the same time. If bolt only, get a new one and chase the shaft threads. This requires some skill because you don't want shavings entering the shaft hole. If the threads in the shaft are stripped, and insert or helicoil can be installed for new thread. Again best left for a machinist bud if you have one. Don't even think of the dealer for either tasks as most are too stooopid for machine shop related tasks that require knowledge for the best method of the above tasks.
I would not buy a new shaft in my case but then again I spent most of my life in fab and machine tasks.
Ron

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

I am not even sure if it is possible for the bolt to come all the way out and drop in the sump when the cover is on. Something smells fishy with this story. have you looked at the inside of the cover for marks where the head of the bolt has been touching? If the bolt came outwards when the motor was running there will be marks for sure. Definitely sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. I would investigate a little further before I laid any cash out. As Ron said the motor would have lost oil pressure if the bolt had come out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No you can't drive it with bolt out as I've already explained in the other post. Which is stripped, the bolt or the shaft hole. Seldom both strip at the same time. If bolt only, get a new one and chase the shaft threads. This requires some skill because you don't want shavings entering the shaft hole. If the threads in the shaft are stripped, and insert or helicoil can be installed for new thread. Again best left for a machinist bud if you have one. Don't even think of the dealer for either tasks as most are too stooopid for machine shop related tasks that require knowledge for the best method of the above tasks.
I would not buy a new shaft in my case but then again I spent most of my life in fab and machine tasks.
Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron,

i wasn't thinking about riding it. The shop order the new parts and now it's going to cost me 1100.00 for them to fix it. I just wanted to know if this ever happen to anyone else, if your statement is true then I would not have been able to ride it around and drive it to the shop to get the stator cable leak fix. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ron,

i wasn't thinking about riding it. The shop order the new parts and now it's going to cost me 1100.00 for them to fix it. I just wanted to know if this ever happen to anyone else, if your statement is true then I would not have been able to ride it around and drive it to the shop to get the stator cable leak fix. Thanks again
This is exactly the point! That is why we are saying be wary of what the dealer is telling you. Look for the witness marks on the inside of the cover or more evidence that it was like that when you rode it in. If that bolt was in the sump, which I really doubt, you would not have been riding it around. Like I said I am not sure it can come all the way out with the cover in place. It was said before that the more likely cause is that the mechanic has tried to tighten the bolt and caused this. Without clear proof I would be very reluctant to shell out 1100 for what could be their fault. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Ron,

Correct, in that condition you would not have made it to the dealer, as in bolt completely out of the hole. This needs to be pointed out to HD customer service because that dealer if fkg you over big time. That bolt cannot strip on it's own either. Nature direction of the engine tends to loosen it , not tighten it, which is why we have a recommendation on this forum to loctite that bolt. It's also fairly long and as mentioned, I don't think it can come completely out of the hole with the cover in place. Not 100% but I've never heard of one ending up in the pan before. Way before that the owner is bitching about the oil light coming on at idle or it runs hotter then it should for no obvious reason. Both clear symptoms of a loose bolt. Hope it all works out in the end.
Ron

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,668 Posts
You are getting some good advice here.

Yes, this used to be a common issue, but stripped threads are not common. If your shop isn't familiar with this issue they have no significant VRSC knowledge.

Running without this bolt will cause the water pump to not spin, which causes overheating. It will also cause loss of oil pressure to the top end.

If they found the bolt in the cover I'd urge you to do an oil analysis on the remaining oil so that they can inform you of internal damage.

·
Autobanmod
9,943 Posts
It will not cause just lack of oil pressure to the top end but also the bottom end.
If the engine ran for more than a minute without oil pressure then the running parts (cams, crankshaft, piston, conrods, journal bearings) are likely damaged and need to be renewed. As coastrider suggested already, the bolt cannot slip out while the side cover is on, maybe the bolt broke off and the end is still stuck inside the water pump shaft? That would have prevented loss of oil pressure but could result in damaged valves.
Post some good photos of the bolt if you can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.