Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ole capt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month took a trip to Arkansas from Kansas, rode about 5 hours in a driving rain, got to Arkansas, around Eureka Springs when my 06 vrod started showing a code on the speedo cluster and took it the HD dealer in Rogers AR where the computer showed it had a problem with the voltage regulator, well they said it should be ok, got 20 miles and she went bellyup..
they hauled it back to the dealer and it took out the speedo cluster, voltage regulator and battery!! Anyone had water problems with their vrods? OC

·
Registered
298 Posts
No problems yet (keeping my fingers crossed) and I do a lot of riding in the rain and have some moisture under the glass of the speedo. Weather here in Holland is just like England, only a day later.

·
ole capt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Toy, the HD dealer said they changed the connectors in 07 must have had problems with early one's... yea think they will recall or fix the problem... yea right... I will check these connectors and seal them with di-electric grease... and maybe some silicone around the incoming wire... if it does take ya down you can unplug the speedo cluster if it hasn't shorted the voltage regulator! to get you home.. doesn't rain here all the time but when it does it's like a cow pissing on a flat rock.... and smoking the electronics it not my ideal of motorcycle dependabilty.. the wife was on her 05 sporster along with me and she had no problems with water... thanks OC

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Ole Capt said:
Last month took a trip to Arkansas from Kansas, rode about 5 hours in a driving rain, got to Arkansas, around Eureka Springs when my 06 vrod started showing a code on the speedo cluster and took it the HD dealer in Rogers AR where the computer showed it had a problem with the voltage regulator, well they said it should be ok, got 20 miles and she went bellyup..
they hauled it back to the dealer and it took out the speedo cluster, voltage regulator and battery!! Anyone had water problems with their vrods? OC
Yep, for the first time I am having this exact same problem you describe. It figures, I have washed the bike a hundred times and ridden in the rain and never had a problem, but the second the dealership washes my bike like they did today, they get water in the cluster and cause this issue. Thank goodness for this forum, I am sure it will be back to normal tomorrow morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts