Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the Rad. cap replaced @ 5700miles. The dealer said this was not uncommen.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Make sure to keep an eye on it, seems that the bypass tube leaks at the cap and not the cap itself from reports that I have seen.

Max

·
Registered
503 Posts
:plause: my coolent resevoir split down the middle at 100mph, what a mess,that stuff was all over my bike and my gear ,it took ages to clean. dealer said it was just one of those things.and replaced it. no problems since. :confused:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Suspected Leaking Radiator

I thought I had a split seam in my radiator due to coolant leaking from the lower side of the radiator shroud when on the side stand after a ride.
On checking today at the work shop, we found that the overflow line runs down into the radiator housing and empties into the shroud!, so it looked like the radiator was at fault.
In the end, no leak, and I just overfilled my coolant bottle too much after changing over to braided hoses. :hmm:
For your information every one.

Best wishes.

Ken.
:ride:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I had a small leak that I chased for a couple of weeks, took HER to the DEALERS to get a couple of items check before my warranty ran out.The tech spent 2 days trying to find the leak, ended up being a shrink clamp that would seep only when up to temp. This show up on the front motor mount and radiator so check it good.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I had a cracked cap,the line that goes into the tank broke on both ends,cracked ov. tank.All replaced under warranty.It took 4 times and me screaming lemon at the dealer,to finally replace what I told them was bad.

Since then no leaks,but the rear cam cover leaks.They had to place it for bad chrome so they are gonna fix it again,and I'm gonna have to show them how to use gasket sealer correctly.
Do I have to go to the same dealer to get the cover leak fixed? or can I go to another to fix someone else's mistake.I don't have faith in the mechanic that did the work at the old dealer.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I think that you should be able to go to any authorized Harley dealer for warranty work

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
The metal Radiator cap or the plastic cap with the tube for the overflow bottle? After Crash had his plastic overflow bottle cap break and spew coolant I bought the replacement plastic overflow bottle cap with the tube that fits into the white plastic overflow bottle at the top, right side of the bike just under the airbox cover has a plastic tab.

If the metal radiator caps are failing, I'll replace that also, what's the part number for an upgrade?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cap Thanks

danafwelch said:
The metal Radiator cap or the plastic cap with the tube for the overflow bottle? After Crash had his plastic overflow bottle cap break and spew coolant I bought the replacement plastic overflow bottle cap with the tube that fits into the white plastic overflow bottle at the top, right side of the bike just under the airbox cover has a plastic tab.

If the metal radiator caps are failing, I'll replace that also, what's the part number for an upgrade?
My cap broke for the overflow and I was told you had to purchase the bottle to get the cap I think it was $29.00, did you buy just the cap. do you have a part number for just the cap?? Thanks for any help. bob C

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
check out this thread:
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2800

Part number 61813-01 for just the cap assembly. It is approx $8.00 It used to be only available as a complete bottle/cap assembly, but they now offer just the cap. I imagine that they started doing this based on the number of broken caps. The new cap is made much better with a reinforced tube and a thumb tab to assist opening the lid.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
They just need to have their supplier make it from a more suited material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts