Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02, that I have put 8k miles on since August. I have also been documenting the high levels of gasoline in my oil since day 1. My dealer, The zone rep and the factory have all been no help, except to say "change the oil more often" The bike was a consignment sale from the stealer, and part of the deal was the transfer of it's warranty til 2007. Now the service manger tells me that this warranty is only for catastrophic failures, and it doesn't cover diagnosis of the problem.

So this is just a little of the aggravation I have had w/ the dealer/MFG and Zone rep since moving to the almighty HD from the reliable JAP lines.

Last week I took it in for my monthly fleecing for it's 7,500 mile check, that without having it done the dealer tells me warranty issues would be hard to claim. And yes I know that is against the law. But in this case I also needed the head bearing tightened, and i didn't have a tool to fit it. Knowing it was basically only inspection of items according to the HD manual, and the service board says it cost $85. I figured it was worth it.

I pick the bike up and the bill has $26 in oil change parts on it. I ask the service writer what the HELL IS THIS. I didn't ask for an oil change, he says the mfg calls for it now, and went on and on about how the oil breaks down... I said I KNOW what oil does, and that I do my own oil changes so that it can be checked by the lab for the gas in the oil. He says well that what WE do here. I pulled out my manual and point to the line for Oil and point out the big "I" for inspect. The factory says Inspect it not change it. Knowing once again the stealership is trying to F-me I demand they remove the charge. After 20 min of backroom talks w/ management they take the charge off. or as he say "We'll eat the oil" I said you should also refund me the additional $30 for the Mobil 1 you flushed down the drain with only 600 miles on it. They said not a chance that was gonna happen.

I really want to love this bike, but I am disliking it more every time I take it into the dealership because of the horrible treatment I receive.

Thanks for listening

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
hey, Greenham, you must be so PISSED OFF!!! My dealer changes my oil, too, every time I take it in for service at the 2500-mile intervals, but I don't do my own.

So, is there any other dealership close to you that might be more reasonable? Have you shopped around down there? Maybe some of the other members down that way would have a better suggestion.

8k miles since this past August? You've been RIDING that bike!

Val

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
greenham I understand exactly what your saying. Many of the dealers have a unique mind set to say the very least. I always go over exactly what is to be done when I drop my bike off. Keep in mind that I have a dealer that tags me $260 for a 1k oil change, needles to say they get almost non of my business anymore.

I moved this to the problem area

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Agree, Max. One thing I've learned this past year from y'all here on the forums is just how much I need to COMMUNICATE with the guys at the dealership. There are 2 guys on the service desk and 1 or 2 techs who work on my bike (only 1 now that it's winter), so there's alot of room for misunderstandings.

After some very frustrating experiences, these days, I tell the person at the service desk what I want them to do, WATCH him write it down, and then go and talk it over directly with the tech, too. I don't have a choice of dealerships, which means I've had to figure out how to work with the local folks. Seems to be helping.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
No, you aren't wrong and I feel very lucky that I don't have to deal with your Stealer! Maybe another lesson learned, make sure you tell them what NOT to do the next time you need service.

As for the extended warranty, definition of catastrophic failure is subjective at best. Sure, it doesn't cover cosmetics but it does cover the drive train and most other major components. As for diagnostics, the warranty states that you must approve the diagnostics but you are only liable for their cost if they determine that the failure does not constitute a "breakdown" as described in Part II of your extended warranty literature. Basically, if you say it's broken but they disagree then you have to pay for the diagnosis. If it is broken then they pay the diagnostics. One thing it does state is that they must get approval before doing any work.

BTW, you can always cancel the extended warranty and get 90% of the unused premium back!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mjw930

I appreciate your clarifying the diagnosis issue. When I got the bike w/ 700 miles on it, I didn't get the warranty documentation from the dealership/previous owner. I did sign the transfer, and i got confirmation from the MFG that it was transferred, but no paperwork on what is and isn't covered.

There are 3 stealers in the area (NoVA). Whitts HD are the bandits I have been dealing with. East Coast HD, didn't have a trained Vrod tech yet, and Patriot HD has as much bad press at Whitts does. I will be trying Ft Washington HD for the 10k service. 4 stealerships within an hr of me in a major metropolitan area and none of them give a rats ass.

HD should be assumed of themselves for giving anyone w/ $10,000,000 and experience in running a business a franchise, without also requiring them to be motorcycle enthusiast.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Experience we have had at least once...

In WI we have a form you sign when you leave ANY motor vehicle
to get serviced. It protects the owner as well as the servicing individual.It states requested repair(if known) and the max $$$
to allow to be spent without a personal approval by owner(aka phone call). That way your front end alignment does not turn into
tie rods,struts,or ball joints, shocks, brakes, ect,ect,
If you did not approve and they do it , It is on them........ I know this first hand.
I had a 1995 F-150 that I had the front end aligned at my local Ford dealer. Then took my truck to SuperShops for a set of Hoosier 31" tires and they did a new alignment and said that they do not put 600 dollars worth of tires on and not do an alignment. And tried to charge me 67 bucks for it. I showed them the reciept and said I was not paying and they had no choice. It was not on my authorization for work performed sheet either. :2cents
BobT

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
There are good dealers and bad ones. I'm betting there are just as many bad Jap bike dealers around, although you implied the contrary. We had one really bad one here in Plano, and he went out of business, as he should have. Go here and post your concerns: http://stealer-dealer.com/

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
The owner of all the jap bike dealers in town bought our Harley dealership. Actually, I think the service got a bit better, but the prices went up.

They actually have the nerve to charge more than MSRP for some MoCo parts. -Like there isn't enough profit margin built in to begin with.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Danii

Don't get me wrong, I had only marginally better service from the Jap dealers. The difference is the (mfg) don;t have you brining the bike in EVERY 2,500 miles for some BS inspection. I also found the Jap bikes I owned far more reliable. I bought the Vrod cause I really liked it. I felt that this was the first REAL attempt by a 100 yo mfg to break out of the box and win over the guys just like me that always viewed HD as a money pit with little regard for the customer. So far that's been the correct assumption. I am hoping to find a reputable dealer that can change that, cause I do like the Rod.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I'm guessing the 2500 inspection is probably recommended by the Porsche engineers, as well as the HD guys. This is a new motor design, and they want to see whats happening. Note they doubled the service interval on the '04's.
But they are on new ground here. New customers, new expectations, etc. Lets hope that one of Willy G's minions is smart enough to look over these forums.
I just don't think the MoCo is smart enough to have an organized money pit conspiracy.

They may be stupid enough, though.:slap2:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
If I could tell you about all the probs I've had with me old dealer,Max would run out of room.
I found a good dealer now.They are into dragraceing the v-rod,and the owner is good friends with the Tilley's.I gotten some tips from them and also from the people here.
GREEN,
You'll find out that just about everyone here has had some sort of problem.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
mjw930 said:
BTW, you can always cancel the extended warranty and get 90% of the unused premium back!
Is this true? I've got a friend who had a deal similar to that on his Road King and was able to cancel anytime as long as the Ext. Warranty was never used. Is this in the fine print of the contract? Guess I need to read it a little closer...

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Davidn said:
Max,

my bike is up for a oil change..who do you use?
I'm not Max, but I would bet that he would say go synthetic...
AMSOIL has some good product, but I personally went with the H/D stuff because it was readily available. This will be be good decision to go to syn with the high RPMs that the V-Rod is capable of.

Mike

·
AMF
423 Posts
greenham said:

There are 3 stealers in the area (NoVA)
greenham,

You should give Waugh a call. (800-889-2844) I purchased my bike there and have had excellent service so far. If your in Manassas they are about an hour south in Orange, VA without having to cross the river.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
greenham said:
But in this case I also needed the head bearing tightened, and i didn't have a tool to fit it. Knowing it was basically only inspection of items according to the HD manual, and the service board says it cost $85. I figured it was worth it.
I guess I'd look at it this way - for $85 you bought yourself some peace of mind. The dealership ended up "eating" the cost of an oil change that they probably didn't need to do. Expecting the dealership to compensate you for the difference in value between the used Mobil 1 you had in there and the fresh HD-360 is, frankly, somewhat unrealistic.

Since you do your own oil changes, in the future you probably are only going to have to take the bike back for "major" services - i.e. the 10K and possibly the 5K intervals. When you do that, just have a little discussion with them ahead of time as to what they will and will not do - and tell them that if they need (want) to do anything more, you expect to be contacted first.

There is no doubt about it - there are good H-D dealers, and some not-so-good ones. And unless you are an experienced mechanic, you probably are going to need an H-D dealer to service your V-Rod. Establishing a good, businesslike rapport with the service writers at a local dealership is the best way to enjoy owning your bike. On at least two occasions I've had minor "problems" with my V-Rod that the service department fixed right away, and for no charge; even though the bike is no longer under warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts