Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A liitle bird has told me that Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada is no longer honoring warranty on bikes bought in the US and brought to Canada.

Has anybody else heard anything regarding this?

I know some of the car companies are already refusing to repair cars bought in the US that are under warranty.

Ask around at your local HD dealership and post what you hear.

Note to Canadian dealerships, for both car and bikes.

Stop screwing us so badly and we won't have to go elsewhere!

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What a money grabbing crock!

HARLEY-DAVIDSON WARRANTY POSITION ON IMPORTED MOTORCYCLES

The purpose of this letter is to clarify the Harley-Davidson warranty position on motorcycles that are brought into a country where they are not intended to be sold or registered. The Harley-Davidson limited warranty statement specifies that the warranty will not apply to motorcycles not manufactured to comply with the laws of the market in which it is registered.

To ensure that Canadian specific safety standards are met, it is important that this policy be adhered to and enforced. Therefore going forward, the Harley-Davidson policy will be to suspend the warranty on any vehicle not in compliance with the market into which it was imported. In the interest of Customer satisfaction and to encourage vehicle compliance, this policy will allow Customers with a non-compliant vehicle to reinstate the warranty when the vehicle is brought into compliance.

Canada has specific regulatory requirements pertaining to vehicle specifications, and it is our collective obligation to enforce compliance for the vehicles brought into Canada. This policy is in effect immediately and applies to any and all non Canadian built motorcycles in the field, now and in the future.

To summarize what this means:

Vehicles bought in the U.S.A. will have their warranty suspended in Canada, until they are made compliant with Canadian DOT standards.

Examples are but not limited to: km/h speedometers, rear lighting as required, etc.

All motorcycles seeking to become compliant will need to be inspected at an authorized H-D Dealer, the appropriate safety forms will be completed, when repairs are done, and forwarded to Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada, to have the warranty reinstated.

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
typical weasel corporate accountant and corporate attorney snake moves.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pathetic thing about all of this is they'll take your money with no questions asked if it's a US bike and not a warranty claim. :deal:

No qualifier required then. :bs:

·
Banned
837 Posts
Got the letter from Deeley a couple of months ago, read it and ditched it as it didn't apply to my situation. Didn't think about it till a couple of weeks ago when I found out a few HD dealers won't even take US Harleys in trade on new ones. Go figure!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds like a pile of crap. HD is an international company and should back up a warranty claim where ever the bike is.

The basic warranty that comes with the bike is only 12 months anyway, it's not a long term deal.

What happens if I ride from California up into Canada and my bike breaks down on a item that should be covered under the warranty? I would expect a HD dealer up there to take care of it.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
i'm going to ask my dealer about this...if my bike is not covered on a trip to canada, i might cash in the rest of my warranty.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
No question it's bull$hit...... but this topic was discussed months ago
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134244 and I had commented that it was likely they won't cover at some point...and what the hell is the difference between a Canadian bike versus a US bike? certainly nothing that should void a damn warranty! rip off mf'ers!!!...this is simply their attempt to stop all the importing due to the great deals in the US compared to Canada...bottom line is it won't stop anything! I wonder what kind of fight a person would have if a US resident actually moved to Canada...would his also be warrantied? ...from what I remember the car dealers said this was allowed...who knows...again rip off mf'ers!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Another reason not to go to HD dealers .They should put the arm on the distributor .I had warranty work done a few months ago .I would go back for certain things at the dealer .But now that is unlikely .

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not enough that one agency holds the import rights for the entire country, read monoply, now they go and pull a stunt like this!

" Yes we are so arrogant / ignorant we still think we can decide whose money to take and whose not to! "

UNBELIEVABLE.

Pull your heads out of your behinds and start thinking about ways to bring paying customers to your dealers and not ways to alienate them, especially in this economy. :paper:

It's been my experience in the last few years that more than a few Canadians are now Harley owners because they could go to the US and be able to afford a bike.

OK I'm done, not really.......

·
Registered
976 Posts
Most people I know with HD products go across the border for service .The Canadian businesses need to learn how to compete .HD is pricing themselves out of the market .

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
DEELEY can kiss my ass !!!!
Deeley is KISSING MY ASS :paper: it's my 2nd v-rod in the state i don't like to get f__k, by inflated prices here, never went to a dealer for a major issue on my bike thank's god, and everytime i went the f_k something up.

HD is doing everything to cut expences.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I didn't extend my warranty for the above reasons. With business so bad, HD is looking at way to cut expenses. Making sure they don't honor a warranty for a petty or irrelvant reason would be one way.

This is short term thinking though.

There are Dealers out there though that manage to work the system and make sure they do the right thing for the customer. I'm sure they experience better sales because of it.

As we know, word gets around.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So basicly if I would to be going in the states to buy a bike then bring it back I would loose all the warranty... That sucks... I was looking to go buy a muscle down in the states causse I would be saving so much money... But if there is so much trouble involved and loose the warranty what's the point... :( To bad though

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So basicly if I would to be going in the states to buy a bike then bring it back I would loose all the warranty... That sucks... I was looking to go buy a muscle down in the states cause I would be saving so much money... But if there is so much trouble involved and lose the warranty what's the point... :( To bad though
Just think.....in the future you'll be able to go to the US and buy a Harley that was built in India and import it to Canada and not have warranty on it.

How's that for an International company allowing Deeley Canada to screw it's Canadian customers, yet again?

Don't think HD is the only one doing this. The car manufacturers are now denying warranty on vehicles purchased in the US and brought to Canada.

I took my SSR in for service recently and a newer Corvette was leaving on a flat bed. It was heading back to the US for a transmission because the GM dealer wouldn't honour the warranty on it up here.

Gee I wonder why things are slow and dealers are closing? Labour rate here at the local dealer is now up to $ 105.00. The busiest guy at the dealership is the service writer calling customers asking them to bring their bikes in for work. November and the techs have nothing to do. Go figure!

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
The car manufacturers are now denying warranty on vehicles purchased in the US and brought to Canada.
Yeah but the car stuff happened 3 - 4 years ago when the dollar hit par......first trick they started was to not allow a Canuck to go into the USA and buy a new vehicle from a dealer....so everyone said fock it and bought really good used or had another person buy a new vehicle and immediately re-sell it to them.....then the dealer pricks here started with the dishonoring of the warranty bullshit....the absolute worst offenders in all of this is Can Am motor products {Bombardier}....they reused to drop their price when most company's did with the dollar parity,, but these MF'ers continued to rape and pillage $4,000 on a $10,000 item......just look again today,, dollar at par and some things are similar price but there still is a big price difference on allot of stuff........all one can do is just eat the warranty and tell them they are cheating MF'ers and if they don't change this scam then don't support the scamming pricks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
so everybody should just swallow their pill basecly and just buy from canada and keep the warranty then... I hate that though, why give us so much trouble when we just want to save some bucks.. Why not help us instead of making things worst.. What a bunch of %&$ er's....

·
Registered
480 Posts
So basicly if I would to be going in the states to buy a bike then bring it back I would loose all the warranty... That sucks... I was looking to go buy a muscle down in the states causse I would be saving so much money... But if there is so much trouble involved and loose the warranty what's the point... :( To bad though
Well I guess you can do a cost analysis. Look at how much you would save by buying the new bike in the U.S. and is it so much as to be worth not having the warranty?

If you do that though, there is a good argument as to why spend the money on a new bike with no warranty. Let someone else take the 1-2 year depreciation and purchase a used bike from the U.S. Then you save even more money. That sounds like the way to go. Either way you get no warranty. Just have your bike inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Juls

I bought a 2007 vrscaw with 960 miles on it down in Texas. I saved huge. I bought when our dollar was near par. I believe I paid $35 exchange. Anyways, I wouldn't be worried too much about loosing your warranty. As many of the members on this site can agree with. These bikes are pretty much bullet proof. Besides, the money you will be saving is more than enough to cover even a couple major problems if they were to arise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts