Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Riding the Rev
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably depends on dealers, but I just found out that adding a Harley Racing tuner to the bike voids the entire warranty, at least at my dealer.
The reason specifically is that you are adding a specified racing part to a street bike, which now makes it an illegal street bike. That is also why the SERT registers the bike and can only be used on one bike.

PCIII right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Your dealer is a joke, They do not make the warranty call ,H-D Wisconsin does..
 

·
Riding the Rev
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer was saying that the MOCO will void the warranty. I thought this was odd since it would be a Harley part added by a Harley dealer.
 

·
Ms. Subtle
Joined
·
12,179 Posts
i cant say for sure.. but would think something sold and installed by your dealer couldnt void your warranty..

especially when HD is where you have to get the tuner.. i wouldnt go with a pciii.. that is my personal preference .. i would do some research before taking your dealers word for it..

funny.. it wasnt mentioned to me while my dealer was trying to sell it to me .. and i would think that would be something they would have to tell me if in fact it would void anything ..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,727 Posts
NightStar said:
I know this probably depends on dealers, but I just found out that adding a Harley Racing tuner to the bike voids the entire warranty, at least at my dealer.
The reason specifically is that you are adding a specified racing part to a street bike, which now makes it an illegal street bike. That is also why the SERT registers the bike and can only be used on one bike.

PCIII right.
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

Tell them to put it in writing because you are going to present it to the HD legal department and see if their BS story changes. It is illegal to void any part of a warranty because something was changed. The only time a mod will have warranty implications is if it can be proved that the particular mod caused said problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
the truth of the matter is if you change the exhaust, air cleaner or use a tuner to change the tuning calibration you have voided the warranty. most dealers will warranty the bike even if the warranty is theoretically void. even a trailer hitch installed on a touring bike voids the warranty. i have only seen harley not warranty a bike one time because of modifications. the customer was wanting something unreasonable and actually called a harley rep to check out his bike. the harley rep denied the warranty because of the trailer hitch installed on his bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
what ken said. thats like saying adding a sert was teh reason teh wheel bearing failed. (unless it made it go so fast it smoked the bearing lol)
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
NightStar said:
I know this probably depends on dealers, but I just found out that adding a Harley Racing tuner to the bike voids the entire warranty, at least at my dealer.
The reason specifically is that you are adding a specified racing part to a street bike, which now makes it an illegal street bike. That is also why the SERT registers the bike and can only be used on one bike.

PCIII right.
Been ther and done that, had an engine fail and moco voided my warranty because I had the dealer install screamin eagle heads. I called the warranty dept and moco reps and moco and they all denied my warranty. They will all tell you that the parts are for off road use only and that it states that on the box that it will void your warranty.
 

·
Ms. Subtle
Joined
·
12,179 Posts
The only time a mod will have warranty implications is if it can be proved that the particular mod caused said problem.
this is how it works on ANY vehicle..

i had to fight once for that very thing.. they were trying to tell me because i changed something on my car my warranty didnt apply .. and i called BS on them and took it to the top..i won..

knowledge is power my friend....and it doesnt hurt to be a tenacious bitch either LOL..
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
Programming the ECM with a Race tuner will void the warranty on the ECM, period. It may void a warranty claim on the motor if they can prove that the motor failure was caused by the modified ECM or the program you loaded on the ECM. Aside from that everything else must be covered BY LAW!

Now, changing the exhaust has exactly the same effect, the exhaust is no longer warrantied and if anything it connects to fails that part is also not covered IF and ONLY IF it can be proven that the modified exhaust caused the failure.

It's all part of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and that supersedes anything your dealer might say.

This is a REALLY GOOD link: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Of course your dealer is your conduit to all warranty claims. If they aren't willing to submit a warranty claim then you're screwed unless you hire a lawyer and that could cost more than the part being replaced.
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
In my case they stated that because of the SE heads and SE cams that were installed being off road/racing use only made extra torque and HP that was more than the bottom end was capable of handling in stock form and was not designed for that kind of stress causing my rod bearing to fail. So repairs were all out of my pocket.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
It's a moot point for me. I've been out of warranty for a couple years now. :rofl:
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Damn and I was counting on my warranty still. :)

Spaz I have a box of SE heads here and no place does it say off road racing on it anyplace. They are the same heads that came stock on the cvo from my understanding.
 

·
durata membro
Joined
·
17,603 Posts
All of the 1250's have the same heads exept the 06 SE2.The SE2's were CNCed and the production 1250's are cast in the same configuration as the CNCed heads.

I have the RT on my 07 and my warranty is still in effect.I just had master cylinders replaced and tires before that.I have new sliders on the way because mine are pitting.
You need to have a talk w someone in upper management in this dealer that's lieing to you.



Elrod on the V-Rod
 

·
"A" model citizen
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
HEY MAX.... A BOX OF SE HEADS....must be nice lol
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
CTMorgan111 said:
HEY MAX.... A BOX OF SE HEADS....must be nice lol
They are dirt cheap or were. I fear they will become rare like the 1250 kits did very soon though. I picked up two sets while I could find them. One set is on my turbo motor sitting here by my desk and one set is still in the box.
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
Max said:
Damn and I was counting on my warranty still. :)

Spaz I have a box of SE heads here and no place does it say off road racing on it anyplace. They are the same heads that came stock on the cvo from my understanding.
The heads and cams in question were for a 99 sportster and it did say for off road use only on the box and they were not available installed from the factory on any sportster model.
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
All of the 1250's have the same heads exept the 06 SE2.The SE2's were CNCed and the production 1250's are cast in the same configuration as the CNCed heads.

I have the RT on my 07 and my warranty is still in effect.I just had master cylinders replaced and tires before that.I have new sliders on the way because mine are pitting.
You need to have a talk w someone in upper management in this dealer that's lieing to you.



Elrod on the V-Rod
Beleive me I talked my guts out with the service manager and the dealership owner and Harley Davidson themself and they all said the same thing. The part that really pissed me off was when I had the parts installed at the dealer I asked the tech if the parts would void my warranty and he stated that only the heads and cams would not be covered by the warranty but the rest of the motor should still be under warranty and of course by the time the motor failed that tech no longer worked at the dealer. So my suggestion is when in doubt have a dealer put in writing that adding off road use only parts will not void your warranty (which will never happen)
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Spaz said:
Beleive me I talked my guts out with the service manager and the dealership owner and Harley Davidson themself and they all said the same thing. The part that really pissed me off was when I had the parts installed at the dealer I asked the tech if the parts would void my warranty and he stated that only the heads and cams would not be covered by the warranty but the rest of the motor should still be under warranty and of course by the time the motor failed that tech no longer worked at the dealer. So my suggestion is when in doubt have a dealer put in writing that adding off road use only parts will not void your warranty (which will never happen)
I'm sorry I just read you used SE on a sportster and this isn't something with the cnc heads on a v-rod.
 

·
Dilligaf
Joined
·
5,393 Posts
Max said:
What cams did you run and what failed exactly on your motor?
Rod bearings and it was the bolt in SE cams. I didn't even go with the bigger lift SE cam that was available.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top