Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rotors pulsing pretty bad. Just got back from the stealer. They replaced my rotors once last year and were great about it. It's still under warranty but it doesn't look like I'm getting another set, unless I camp out there. They said one was out .007 and the other .008. Then they wanted to pull the tire off and turn it 180, check the calipers and so on. The service manager told me that I was the ONLY one with this brake problem. Well while they were checking my rotors and pondering the perplexing pulsating problem another Rod came in for service. Got to talking and sure enough (go figure) he had his rotors replaced at that very same squealership. The service manager said oh...a..he..a..yea he did but only once.
I left with my rotors still (and now my butt) warped.
I'll probably just buy a set and put them on myself.
Don't have time for their bull$hit and they know it.
 

·
Bike is for sale!
Joined
·
5,075 Posts
yup been there, but they will not replace mine, pulse and still in spec. Went to two dealer, same at both. I am just going to replace them myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
yup been there, but they will not replace mine, pulse and still in spec. Went to two dealer, same at both. I am just going to replace them myself.
That kinda sucks. They can have as little as .007" or .008" run-out and pulse to the point that the front brake is useless. I really think the spec in the book is a carry over before the Brembo brakes came out and it is wrong. The dealer should replace your pads and the rotors under warranty. I would call Chris Wieand in customer service at the MoCo and tell him about your problem. He is well aware of the problem and can probably get it taken care of for you.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
Dale "R" said:
That kinda sucks. They can have as little as .007" or .008" run-out and pulse to the point that the front brake is useless. I really think the spec in the book is a carry over before the Brembo brakes came out and it is wrong. The dealer should replace your pads and the rotors under warranty. I would call Chris Wieand in customer service at the MoCo and tell him about your problem. He is well aware of the problem and can probably get it taken care of for you.
It is not the Brembo brakes. The old brakes will pulse with the discs still being within spec also. I am on my thrid set and each time the old discs were supposedly within spec and the Dealer claimed they were not warped and seemed stumpted as to the problem. Both times, I replaced them myself and each time the pulsating immediately went away. The spec is meaningless. It is just HD's justification for not replacing them under warranty.

The only meaningful test seems to be whether, or not, the front brakes pulse. If they do, most of the time replacing the discs (and pads at the same time- dealers neglect to do this for some reason) will correct it. It may not be the cause of the warping, but it is the cause of the pulsing. As for why some rotors warp and others do not, who knows. It could be riding style, heating and rapid cooling, brake cylinders sticking, lateral run-out of the wheel, the wheel's seats out of spec in the casting, etc.

The only reason that I see that HD would not authorize replacement under warranty as the parts at retail (Hales) are approximately $200 for discs and pads, and the change out is a simple procedure, is that there are simply so many of us with the problem that the cost would be too high to warranty all complaints, so they make you live with it until it either gets so bad they cannot deny it, or you just go away and change them out yourself.

HD seems to feel minor pulsating is not a safety issue, but it is. If you front brake pulses you tend not to use it and it contributes to incorrect braking muscle memory. In a panic situation you tend to go for the back brake because you have been ignoring the front due to the pulsing, which can result in a low side. When the pulsing gets really bad, it can be scary unsafe to use the front brakes at all as it makes stopping a real adventure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,853 Posts
High Performance Rotors Coming...

I've been working closely with Lyndall Racing, and we are coming out with a Carbon Composite Rotor for the V-Rod late next month! I will have them available at the KC Reunion in September!
What is Carbon Composite?
It's the high tech material that is being used on Race Cars and Sport Bikes! All the race teams are using them because of all the advantages, no brake dust, no warping, almost half the weight as your stock rotor and you'll have at least 20% more braking performance!
And Lyndall has designed a great looking Rotor that will be announced on the Forums site as soon as it's available!! You'll see it first!
You can read more here http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/product_reviews.htm#bn

See the styles here www.GRcustoms.com

GR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
When I first started riding the R, the front brakes were dicey at best. Then I started watching what I was doing, how I was using them. I am really old and remember when friction materials needed breaking in before using them daily.
So, I did that. I seated the pads, cured them and let them set. I also stopped riding the fronts. The only time I use the front brakes, they are to stop, which means serious application.
Most of the time, that means short hard applications. It stops on a dime, no noise, no pulse, no bad behavior. Most of the time, riding casually around town, the engine braking is most of the speed control I need until it comes to a full stop. When I get on the road and play racer, it is only smooth hard brake application, then get off the brakes and back on the throttle. No muss no fuss and man these things stop, right now. Then only lockup I experienced was rear hard braking on bumpy pavement and it was momentary. So life was good.
When my boy starts riding the R, he is having problems. Then he locks up the fronts in traffice and scared both of us. We talked. He complained of pulsing, vagueness, and lack of stopping. I was momentarily mystified. Then I remembered. I told him don't ride the fronts, when you want to stop, just squeeze progressively and put your foot down because it will stop fast. He hasn't had pulsing since, he says that my talk made a huge difference in the performance of the braking system. I am happy again.
What I suggest is looking at the situation a differenct way. This ain't your fathers oldsmobile. These are high performance brakes and need to be used like an instrument with attention to technique. Get on a large empty parking lot and learn how your brakes behave. Like I said, I had the pulse and it went away when I used the brakes differently. The rotors are not warped because the mechanical evidence says so. Give it a try.:hidesbeh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HawkStang said:
When I first started riding the R, the front brakes were dicey at best. Then I started watching what I was doing, how I was using them. I am really old and remember when friction materials needed breaking in before using them daily.
So, I did that. I seated the pads, cured them and let them set. I also stopped riding the fronts. The only time I use the front brakes, they are to stop, which means serious application.
Most of the time, that means short hard applications. It stops on a dime, no noise, no pulse, no bad behavior. Most of the time, riding casually around town, the engine braking is most of the speed control I need until it comes to a full stop. When I get on the road and play racer, it is only smooth hard brake application, then get off the brakes and back on the throttle. No muss no fuss and man these things stop, right now. Then only lockup I experienced was rear hard braking on bumpy pavement and it was momentary. So life was good.
When my boy starts riding the R, he is having problems. Then he locks up the fronts in traffice and scared both of us. We talked. He complained of pulsing, vagueness, and lack of stopping. I was momentarily mystified. Then I remembered. I told him don't ride the fronts, when you want to stop, just squeeze progressively and put your foot down because it will stop fast. He hasn't had pulsing since, he says that my talk made a huge difference in the performance of the braking system. I am happy again.
What I suggest is looking at the situation a differenct way. This ain't your fathers oldsmobile. These are high performance brakes and need to be used like an instrument with attention to technique. Get on a large empty parking lot and learn how your brakes behave. Like I said, I had the pulse and it went away when I used the brakes differently. The rotors are not warped because the mechanical evidence says so. Give it a try.:hidesbeh:
Your kiddin me right.
Do you work for Harley?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
The rotors are not warped because the mechanical evidence says so. Give it a try.
My dial indicator said different and the pulsing went away when the new rotors and pads were installed. The earlier R rotors were stamped. The newer ones are laser cut and the pad compound is different. I quess after 42yrs of riding on the street and more bikes than I can count I should take some braking lessons in a parking lot. Gimme a break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
SteveR said:
Your kiddin me right.
Do you work for Harley?
No kidding, I take this very seriously. As for the question about my employment, I don't see what I said that deserves that. I was not singing the praises of HD. Brembo, yes but I think that is deserved. I haven't encountered one negative comment about Brembo.
If this were a HD manufacturing issue I would expect that it would show up on all bikes with the same configuration. They did make changes to how the rotors are maded and warranteed your rotors that were out of spec. I am not calling you a liar, I just wonder how come it isn't happening on other bikes. I think we need to consider that when we approach situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HawkStang said:
No kidding, I take this very seriously. As for the question about my employment, I don't see what I said that deserves that. I was not singing the praises of HD. Brembo, yes but I think that is deserved. I haven't encountered one negative comment about Brembo.
If this were a HD manufacturing issue I would expect that it would show up on all bikes with the same configuration. They did make changes to how the rotors are maded and warranteed your rotors that were out of spec. I am not calling you a liar, I just wonder how come it isn't happening on other bikes. I think we need to consider that when we approach situation.
It is happening to many bikes and this is starting to sound a lot like the conversation I had with the service manager at the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Dale "R" said:
My dial indicator said different and the pulsing went away when the new rotors and pads were installed. The earlier R rotors were stamped. The newer ones are laser cut and the pad compound is different. I quess after 42yrs of riding on the street and more bikes than I can count I should take some braking lessons in a parking lot. Gimme a break.
Your previous post expressed that you thought .007 and .008 out of flat is a small amount. If I remember correctly HD's spec is > .015 is warped.
The threads on this subject often say that after replacing rotors and/or pads, the pulse comes back. In a situation like this, where the symptoms return after mechanical replacement, it is a real possibility that it is environmental/use caused.

I am surprised by your reaction to my suggestion of spending a little time getting familiar with your equipment, considering your extensive experience as you have stated. I do that with each different bike or when I change equipment on a familiar one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,048 Posts
I had a pulsing moment which was cured by having the rotors being properly mounted on the wheel.

Of course, because of the pulsing, I didn't grind them so hard that I'd heat them up and warp them.

I have been pulse-free for over 1500 miles now.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
Captain GRMC said:
I had a pulsing moment which was cured by having the rotors being properly mounted on the wheel.

Of course, because of the pulsing, I didn't grind them so hard that I'd heat them up and warp them.

I have been pulse-free for over 1500 miles now.
What did the "properly mounted on the wheel" entail, and who did it for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,048 Posts
Proper torque, sequence and loctite.

My dealership in York, Laugermans, did it for me. They've been real good about the bike but please don't call them on the phone for specifics - they're trying to run a business and they don't like how I've put the word out that they're good at fixing R's because they end up on the phone when they want to be fixing other people's bikes (and making money).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I had the same "pulsating" feel in the front wheel under braking. Dealership confirmed that rotors were warped. They were replaced under warranty. Bike had about 10,000 miles at the time. Bike now has 14,000 and so far all is well with the new rotors. I don't believe this is just one or two bikes that have had this problem. I've read enough similar posts to think it justifies being addressed by H-D. For the record, I've owned 16 bikes before this one and have never had this issue with any of them. That said, I still love this bike.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top