Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While detailing my bike on a lift I noticed a significant amount of resistance while spinning the front wheel. In an effort to deduce which rotor was sticking I removed the left, then right caliper and found the right (passenger side) rotor is causing about 90% of the problem. I have never noticed any of the brake pulse most people experience when a rotor gets warped. The only thing I've ever noticed is an ever so slight hissing sound of a dragging rotor at parking lot speeds (where I can hear it over the sound of the engine). Now that I am aware of the problem I can also feel a slight pulse of the brakes when applying brake pressure at less than 5 mph.

I also felt the rotors after a decent ride and one was definitely hotter than the other. I am not happy about this. Like many others, I have less than 4K on my bike and I do not expect rotors to go bad this fast. My question is how much is too warped to safely ride? My fear is that the rotor could overheat, boil the brake fluid, and/or cause a sudden lock of the front wheel resulting in an instantaneous catapulting of my ass over the handlebars.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
lelandeod said:
I also felt the rotors after a decent ride and one was definitely hotter than the other. I am not happy about this. Like many others, I have less than 4K on my bike and I do not expect rotors to go bad this fast. My question is how much is too warped to safely ride? My fear is that the rotor could overheat, boil the brake fluid, and/or cause a sudden lock of the front wheel resulting in an instantaneous catapulting of my ass over the handlebars.
While a warped rotor may not be fun to ride with I have never seen a rotor cause the brakes to boil the fluid and lock up the brakes. For that to happen you would have to have a bad master cylinder or a blocked line so that pressure could not escape and to hold pressure on the brakes.

You really should go to your dealer and see if they will cover it, also I have found that some wheels and rotors are better in different positions. So if you clock the wheel and rotor you might find that you can reduce the amount a great deal and you may be dealing with a combonation of wheel and rotor out in the same spot. That is the reason all manufactures on cars now want the rotors machined on the cars because of these type of variations.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Perhaps the problem is one of the pistons sticking in the caliper, rather than a warped rotor (a warped rotor would definitely give you a pulsing sensation under brakes). Try pulling the right side caliper off again and pushing each of the pistons back into the bores in turn to ensure they all slide freely (you can push them in with something like a G clamp or vice grips - make sure the opposite pair don't pop out of the bores). You'll find this exrecise will change the feel of your lever as well ... probably take up a little earlier than at the moment.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I took mine in to the dealership and they can measure the runout of the rotor and wheel and let you know if it is in or out of spec. If it is out of spec and under warranty they will replace it for you. I noticed the same thing on mine and found that one rotor was out of spec, but just barely out. I had it replaced and it works great now. My rotors were aftermarket, so it can happen to not only HD rotors. The dealership said he replaces HD rotors all the time for this problem.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've already had my front rotors replaced twice under warranty for warping. I am scheduled for the third time now. I'm under extended warranty now so it will cost me the $50 deductable this time. Do I have to keep doing this throughout the life of the bike? It's got to be a problem other than just the rotors.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
HD05VRodSE said:
I've already had my front rotors replaced twice under warranty for warping. I am scheduled for the third time now. I'm under extended warranty now so it will cost me the $50 deductable this time. Do I have to keep doing this throughout the life of the bike? It's got to be a problem other than just the rotors.
Your calipers may be binding or mis Aligned. Check the rotors after a long ride (5 miles). You should be able to grab them without burning skin. They may be hot but not so hot they will cause injury.
If one or both rotors are to hot to touch check on the pads and calipers for problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts