Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be a good idea for any of us with DX's especially to have a candid conversation with the service manager at the harley dealer before they swap your rear tire. I got my wheel totally worked over monday when I went to replace my rear rubber. Needless to say they are replacing the wheel but what a pain in the ass to have to go back and wait another hour and a half two weeks from now and pray they don't screw it up again. I can't even look at my wheel. Seems like this would be a routine thing but they had every excuse known to man pulled out when they showed it to me. everything from the sensitive black finish to the odd shape of my rim. my brother n law's brother n law (i think that's right) is a tech at an import shop and said that is all total Bullshit. Anyhow, It would be worth asking your service rider to make sure he puts a tech on your bike that has swapped a 240 on a dx wheel more than once. They better get good at it because that new 08 rocker softtail has a 240 on the back of it as well.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
240's can be a bitch to change. Ask JSC.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Is there a special way to do it so it does not get scratched to hell???

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
I haven't changed a DX wheel, but I have changed a couple 240's. The sidewall is narrow, so it's really important to make sure your square when breaking the bead.

I use a no mar tire changer, and so far, so good!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
rjrivero said:
I haven't changed a DX wheel, but I have changed a couple 240's. The sidewall is narrow, so it's really important to make sure your square when breaking the bead.

I use a no mar tire changer, and so far, so good!

Does this mean us guys & gals that have the 180 have nothing really to worry about with our wheel changes???

·
Registered
479 Posts
the other issue with the dx is that stripe around the wheel scratches off real easy. mines missing in quite a few spots in back from when i took it off

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I picked up a nail on my 240 and had a new one put on at a independent shop. They charged me $50 extra to mount the 240 saying that it was much more difficult to install.

·
using the baby revo
1,318 Posts
kinda what i'd figure. i had similar problems with independent tire dealer, when i pimped my truck with 275/35 20" tires. scratched up the chrome rim a little, but tore up the bead on two of the tires...

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Is it the removal and replacement of the rubber that is difficult, or the removal and replacement of the wheel assembly in the swingarm?

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
I never take my wheels to H-D to change. Even if off the bike, they want $70 to swap the rubber. I take it to a local Suzuki dealer. They're used to working on wide rubber, never had any problems with my Buell 180 rubber, or my 240 SE2 rubber. No scratches, well balanced, and only $30.

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, that $30 was for both the front & rear.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I took mine to an independent a while back at like 500 miles and had them put a tube in it and a new tire.... bastards boogered my wheel in a spot...

My bike is in right now with the same problem and I'm putting a new tire on.... so help me God if my shit comes back even more screwed up I will flip out.

Spent too much on this bike to have people OTHER THAN ME messing it up.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Yep, take it to you local well established independent tire guy like I do!! :angeldev:

·
Kerby
28 Posts
I swapped a 260 with my existing 240 and they sctrached the hell out of the rim. I hear you on this. Dealer told me they would have the rim re-painted. We'll see what happens. The bike should be back in my hands by early next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was told taday wheel is on backorder until the 8th of august. we'll see. They have an 07 on the showroom i thought about pressing them for that wheel and let them wait on the replacement but didn't want to be an ass. They are my local dealer and I am trying to establish a relationship with them. Anyhow, probably will take it to an import shop next time. Sucks you can't trust your harley dealer to do routine styuff on your harley. They told me today they will probably not use machine when replacement wheel comes in but rather do it by hand with teflon liners around the lip? Curious to see how they do Kemah Nightrod..same dealer. Good luck jonathan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts