Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
HD is a big company with high dollar lawyers. Would i testify, hell yeah. Would I expect to win the lawsuit? I wouldnt hold my breath. Yes I dealt with HD for the first couple years after I bought the bike, I talked to them about all of my problems. I finally gave up and started working on it myself. Even the people that seem to care and know what they are talking about really dont. It'll take a lawsuit before they issue recalls, but with todays economy that lawsuit might just mean no more H-D, you think it is hard to find parts now??

·
Registered
6 Posts
This rear brake failure happened to my Rod last year. I had it fixed at a friends shop. Not Harley dealer. Since then, Harley has thousands of bikes that will be recalled because of this stupid design flaw. They have not recalled yet, still tooling a new design. Dumb ass design to begin with. Just put that little rubber and brass brake fluid dealy on this exhaust pipe. I use engine brakeing and front brakes, more than rear now.

·
Registered
546 Posts
An alternative to this ongoing problem is to upgrade the system between the rear MC and the caliper. By using a banjo bolt/brake light switch combination at the MC, and then running a stainless steel braided line along the inside of the frame, and up to the caliper, should solve this problem. The line would follow the stock path and use stock mounting clips. Not only is this a cleaner design, but firmer brakes/feel, and less chance of leaks because fluid connection is only at the MC and at the caliper. Check with Sharkey, I belive he can custom make this kit for each bike. Just an option.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This has been brought to the Attention of TMR Queensland by the police vehicle inspection unit as a design fault.
here is some of the email that was sent and thanks to this site and all who have posted as the site will be used in reference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Issue also

Gentlemen,
I had a similar issue (2007 VRC NRS). Going back to work, was backing out of the driveway. Had pressure on the back break while drifting back and a plume of smoke rose (on my way home I could tell my back break was acting up, not as much pressure as usual). When I inspected the issue, there is only what I can describe as a cylinder with 2 little leads coming out of it (maybe for the break light?) a little further down the line but near the exhaust. When I applied pressure a bit of break fluid would drip out on the exhaust causing the smoke. I am currently deployed and about to return, the bike is in the shop as we speak. Harley said they couldn't find any issues with it...Someone here told me it may be a factory recall? Any help finding out if it is? Thank you all for your support.

-SFC B

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had same issue when I got my 2008. The banjo fitting when it was installed at the factory rolled up and was just a fraction away from the exhaust. I took it to the local dealer and they replaced the line all the way back to the break light switch. I caught it before it burnt thru.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts