Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Seeing as this problem has happened to multiple people there is obviously an issue. "..
Yes, it has happened to a "few" others here. And most all have admitted guilt in that they moved it or modded the area, rerouted/changed it's direction somehow from "stock" orientation.

Bringing it to attention and keeping it a sticky is a good thing for the next group of backyard mechanics to learn fron member mistakes.

The rear switch light can have a heat issue, catch fire, leak and loose rear brakes. Now, that one is definitely a precarious design or location, but even still, it didn't fail until I switched out exhausts, the CFR absolutely puts more heat to that area. I now wrap it with exhaust cloth and have gone 30someK without failure, I also switched to a Chevy switch. Never had an issue with the front line. 2nd V-Rod and closing in on 6 figure mileage without a "rub". (no pun intended)

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Yes, it has happened to a "few" others here. And most all have admitted guilt in that they moved it or modded the area, rerouted/changed it's direction somehow from "stock" orientation.

Bringing it to attention and keeping it a sticky is a good thing for the next group of backyard mechanics to learn fron member mistakes.
I replaced mine and put it back to stock.Now its doing it again.
Thunderdemon suggests strapping the brake line to the frame because it vibrates.I dont agree,mine is hard against the frame already and is difficult to move at that point.
The oil line is soft and flexible moreso when stinking hot so that is the culprit for sure.
A revised oil line is needed so us ''backyard mechanics'' with zero miles under our belts dont make HD look stupid when we bite the dust.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

The rear switch light can have a heat issue, catch fire, leak and loose rear brakes. Now, that one is definitely a precarious design or location, but even still, it didn't fail until I switched out exhausts, the CFR absolutely puts more heat to that area. I now wrap it with exhaust cloth and have gone 30someK without failure, I also switched to a Chevy switch. Never had an issue with the front line. 2nd V-Rod and closing in on 6 figure mileage without a "rub". (no pun intended)
The three bike mentioned are stock location, from the factory. Forget the exhaust part as this damage has pounded right through the metal line. It's hot there, sure but mechanical impacting is the main cause of failure. On ABS models the brake light switch is at the module so at least that is a non issue now. Tying the line to the frame rail won't make any difference since it's just about touching now. Rad is rubber mounted an it's movement is the main cause of the oil line crimp digging into the brake line. Best I've come up with is a second rubber sleeve around the brake line to protect it. The beaded area of the oil line crimp will embed into the rubber but once the rubber contacts the main part of the crimp, that's as far as it should go. The brake line should remain untouched then. Sure, I agree, a factory fix should be a revised oil line with a slight jog to give it more clearance. Don't think that's happening any time soon so for now it's best to inspect and come up with whatever solution that will work for a fix. After the OP's post I assumed I never had an issue. Boy was I wrong. I've made no alterations to the bike in this area from the day I got it.
Ron

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,196 Posts
Had the same happen on my DX.
My fault I tightened the oil cooler hose away from the exhaust because it is ridiculously close and the flange gradually rubbed through the brake line.
Talk about late braking!!!
DX is that what Ducati is now calling the Daivel X? Ya would figure foir that kind of money Ducati would not have those issues. Guess Porsche help them too.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
DX is that what Ducati is now calling the Daivel X? Ya would figure foir that kind of money Ducati would not have those issues. Guess Porsche help them too.
Short for DiavelX. :angeldev:

And hell no, no such issues with Ducati because those RUB's can't, won't and never wrench anything, so everything is left as is, stock, factory, and original. Don't even have a manly tool-box with cool stickers all over it, if they wanted to wrench.

For some reason, every HD owner, even the anti-pirates, anti-chrome, anti-HD, feel an urge to wrench their bike and be one of the boys. This forum is littered with screw-ups.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts