Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thru everything(ecm,TSSM) into the air-box on my X, and now I wanted to cut all the access wire thats there to clean it up a bit, but i was warned not too.
Some electrical genius explained to me that shortening the wires is a very bad idea explaining things like ohms, and current draw will be enough to mess up the ecm.
I think its crap, so i ask,
Have any members done the above? I read that a few of you have relocated the electronics but have you also shortened the wires?
Any insight would be appreciated

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
never done it with the vrod but i've been an auto tech for 20+ years and seen it cause the very issues you speak of particularly ohms and resistance, most or all the sensors are on a 5 volt reference and when cut and spliced can cause false signals creating trouble codes and most likely trouble with drive ability.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I also think that it is possible to cause problem. Possible is the key word here. Now for a 12v line or system you have a big difference between the High and Low signals so but cutting into a line won't cause an issue.

However as stated above most sensors run off 5v so the difference between H&L is much more tight and less room for variance.

On the Electronic systems I work on and think the ECMs run about the same the Data transfer is 1.5V but it's also timed . so they have that built into the Harness as well. The know it will take so many milliseconds from signal turn on to signal read. So not only would that signal be getting there quicker it could be read higher as well from the Ohms issue (even though I think that's small and the Timing is more of the issue)

One of my Machines have 2 different lengths of cables and we have to go in and change NVM settings and I would think that is a timing adjustment more then Ohms

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
:popcorn

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so then, all who have relocated their electronics, just rammed all the wiring under the airbox as i did,
got a tell you there is one hellofa mess in their.
I could probably save a couple pounds of weight cutting the excess wire away and maybe make a couple bucks with the copper

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
You might get better insight from the Drag racing folks in the Hi Performance section. They jump through serious hoops to save weight where ever they can. I'm betting one if not all of them have done some wire trimming and impulse signal tampering.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
With the power traveling at 186,000 miles per second massive lengthing of the wires might give you a problem! as long as you keep the wires connected correctly, you should be ok.

Having said that you might get an issue with some of the alarm parts interacting.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
I thru everything(ecm,TSSM) into the air-box on my X, and now I wanted to cut all the access wire thats there to clean it up a bit, but i was warned not too.
Some electrical genius explained to me that shortening the wires is a very bad idea explaining things like ohms, and current draw will be enough to mess up the ecm.
I think its crap, so i ask,
Have any members done the above? I read that a few of you have relocated the electronics but have you also shortened the wires?
Any insight would be appreciated
The so-called electronics genius is an idiot. I have not relocated any electronics on my bike but can tell you, (from over 30 years experience in electronics) that shortening the harness wires will NOT cause any trouble. If anything by shortening the wires, the harness will have LESS resistance and stray capacitance which can mess up the signal on HIGH frequency data buses. The ECM on motor vehicles is not even really considered high speed. Ever wonder why you could not get DSL if you are located to far away from the phone company central office? Shorter copper runs are for the most part considered ideal. As long as you make proper connections; hopefully you will have the proper crimpers to do a factory job, and you will be fine.

The only caveats I could think of would be heat related issues or cross talk between the black boxes or proper positioning of the TSSM which is a whole other issue from the wiring harness.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for what i wanted to hear,
now to clean it up a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts