Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, as this is my first liquid cooled bike how long should I let it warm up before riding? Its getting a little cool up here in NE & the past few times I have gone off to work in the A.M the bike seems to run crappy when its cold & takes quite a while to warm up? With the old bike I could just leave the choke out for a while & it would run fine.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
I would think a couple minutes should suffice. Aren't you glad you don't have to mess with a choke?

·
Registered
164 Posts
just get on it and rev it to the red line when you first start it up when cold. that will warm it up real fast. nooo.... just joking. i would give it about 4-6 minutes personally.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
I like to start mine up prior to putting on my gloves and helmet. Routine is all I'm saying. Thanks and be safe...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Its hard to take the bike out in the early morn and start it up and let it idle for 4-5 mins, especially with the Vance & Hinds mumbling away quite deeply. I try to get on it and go right away so as to not wake my 10month old and neighbours.

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
I like to start mine up prior to putting on my gloves and helmet. Routine is all I'm saying. Thanks and be safe...
Mine as well, I feel as long as you're not rippin on it it will warm up fine before seeing some higher RPM's.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its hard to take the bike out in the early morn and start it up and let it idle for 4-5 mins, especially with the Vance & Hinds mumbling away quite deeply. I try to get on it and go right away so as to not wake my 10month old and neighbours.
i understand. i was not aware of the 10month old. i guess you just have to do the best you can. may sound crazy but maybe put the stock exhaust back on through winter. if your bike idling is that much of a factor to your neighbors.

·
Registered
821 Posts
30 to 60 seconds according to my manual. Less when the neighbors are asleep. Love my toxic!!

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I start it & go. I typically won't go over 3K rpms in 1st or 2nd for the first 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Then over the next few minutes (3-5 mins) I ride normally.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Same here.....watching my LCD screen bike needs to get to 140* F before it comes out of warmup mode and leans back the fuel to normal operation. Even with the PC V installed it runs fat till the bike goes over 140*.

As far as neighbors and the home front, try and keep the exhaust outlets pointed in a better direction, but if you live if close proximity good luck.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Check your manual. If memory serves, it is 30-60 seconds to allow oil to get to where it needs to.

Phatass
30 to 60 seconds according to my manual. Less when the neighbors are asleep. Love my toxic!!
:them: the fact that it is liquid cooled has ZERO to do with warm up time, unless you are not running any anti-freeze. The bike is fuel injected, give it the 3 to 5 seconds after ignition on before you start (wait for engine light to go out), start it up, wait 30 to 60 seconds, then hit the road. For the first 3 to 5 minutes the bike doesn't like the high rpms

·
Registered
40 Posts

Funny. As soon as I read the initial post I knew this would be my answer too. My exit out of my neighborhood is all uphill too, so it's under a load and loud as hell at 5:30am when I go to work.

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
No matter what the ambient temp:

•Turn ignition and power on, wait until pump stops to start.

•Allow min 30-60 seconds before departing.

•Keep RPM down below 4500 for the first few miles.

That's my routine with my bike and my cars, after sitting overnight/8 hours +/-

·
Registered
40 Posts
No matter what the ambient temp:

•Allow min 30-60 seconds before departing.

No way. That's like 1/2 a gallon of gas right there! :D

·
Muscle A4 HOG
59 Posts
Just be careful and don't get caught with the bike leaning too far over when it's cold cause if it stalls it hurts when it lands on your foot. I did that a while ago whilst trying to leave the car park early in the morning without waking the neighbours with the V&H rumble. I was cranked over and put my feet up and opened the throttle to go, it stalled and I ended up rolling about in the car park. It cost me a very sore foot, a new indicator stalk, oh and a huge amount of embarrassment.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I switch ignition to 'On', flick it to 'Run', get geared up, disconnect tender, jump on the bike, start it, and by the time I back down the 30' of my driveway I'm good to go. Generally keep it in 2nd gear until I get out of the neighborhood.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Same here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anytime I go it's about the same thing. Start the bike, put on gloves and helmet. Get on and go. Keep it mellow until I'm out of my neighborhood. But honestly if I have to go back inside because i forgot something I don't shut it off. Even with the unbaffled tabs. The neighbors will just have to deal with it...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure how important coolant temt is,its oil temp that will keep ur engine alive,rods/crank happy so that everything(metal) is stretched into go fast mode-lol we have alum rods and they need oil temp to stretch..with 0 weight oil if i remember right we like 40deg water temp and 300 oil temp before we run.i know coolant will lose temp alot faster then oil will...so its like any other engine, not goin to run its best till its warmed up_- tires/road too for those who have hi-sided on their first turn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts