Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time to most of you allow for the bike to warm up before you take off when the motor hasn't been run at all in the last 12 hours?
(During average morning summer temperatures in NE Pennsylvania, from 55 to 75 degrees)
I have an 04B model and the previous owner told me that warm up of the bike was critical and for the life of me, I can't understand why it would be any more critical than it would be with any other water cooled bike. Not that I would, but if someone were to start up an 1130 V Rod and only allow 15 seconds of warm up time, as long as you weren't pounding on it at first is there any chance of hurting the motor? I know, I should read the manual but it's at work and I want to read what the majority of you guys do. I don't want to hurt my bike but there are some times because of the noise I would rather take off instead of sitting in my driveway at 5:00 AM waking up the entire neighborhood. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Registered
186 Posts
From the 09 owners manual:
"The engine should be allowed to run slowly for 30-60 seconds. This will allow the engine to warm up and let oil reach all surfaces needing lubrication. Failure to comply can result in engine damage."

And that's what I give it. About enough time to put in earplugs, put on goggles and helmet, and back the bike out and turn it around.

I've noticed it is hot-blooded. If I don't warm it up, some slight hesitation, sputter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I used a V-Gauge in the past and now I use Portable Dashboard to check the engine temp. I wait till it hits 120 degrees to take off. I hope this is a good temp but I'd like to hear from others as well. You posted a good question and I admire you not wanting to hack off the neighborhood at 5 am.

·
Registered
172 Posts
From the 09 owners manual:
"The engine should be allowed to run slowly for 30-60 seconds. This will allow the engine to warm up and let oil reach all surfaces needing lubrication. Failure to comply can result in engine damage."

And that's what I give it. About enough time to put in earplugs, put on goggles and helmet, and back the bike out and turn it around.

I've noticed it is hot-blooded. If I don't warm it up, some slight hesitation, sputter.
I have pretty much the same ritual and have found the same hesitation without proper warm up.:moped:

·
boredom kills
2,326 Posts
honestly I think that if it is warm out (65°F) that 15 seconds is enough

it is when it is cold out that you want to warm the engine and the oil before taking off

you don't want to put any load on the engine before the oil is flowing - it really is just common sense here. 30 to 60 seconds is not a lot of time to wait.

Start the bike first and then put you helmet and sunglasses on, by the time you are done it is time to go.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmmm, maybe I should start it before backing down the driveway.

I give it it a few seconds then roll. I short shift and run it at about 2 - 2.5K rpm to the first light (3 blocks and 3 stop signs later) were it gets time to idle.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Warm up? I thought that was what the garage did... :hidesbeh:

start it as you roll backwards out of the garage, pull down the door, get on helmet and leave. Get 2 blocks from house before you hit 4K rpm... :D

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
In Summer as long as it takes to put on my lid and gloves. In Winter 60 seconds or so (and we have Florida type weather). My driveway is amazingly steep (cars can't get up it), so the bike is under load for fifteen seconds or so right from the off. Also very noisy pipe and all elderly, rich, grumpy neighbours. It is a fine balance between my bike and their peace of mind. However, we do have a burglar problem round here, and I think most of them quite like having a large dog-owning biker as a neighbour, so I get less grief than you would think.

·
HD black & orange
57 Posts
warm up

i installed the oil dip stick temp guage from h.d... Know what your high temp (during riding) is and your cold start temp,, you would like the oil to warm up a bit.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I have pretty much the same ritual and have found the same hesitation without proper warm up.:moped:
These bikes are tuned on the "lean" side from the factory to deal with EPA crap, hence the hesitation if not properly warmed up.

Warm it up good, the longer the better. You can not warm it up to much. People don't realize the long term damage from cold running or rather the benefits of a good warm up. I don't care if it's 100 degrees outside, give the oil a chance to circulate and warm up, op temp is around 200.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Push/roll out of the shed, start the engine, close the roll down shed door, pull on gloves , swing leg over and go!
Modern day motor, no temp gauge, don't beat on it for a mile or two, then get to getting!
My Buell 1125 has a temp gauge and its warming up in seconds. Flashes "cold" till the end of my street (1/2 mile) then good to go. I suppect the Vrod warms just as quick.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.