Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know everything that anyone is willing to share with me about the Trask turbo system. It looks great and I am sure that it performs just as well. Mainly I want to know what kind of boost it makes, if it will boost without the engine being in a load situation(basically will it make boost when I am at the staging line reving up for the 1/4 mile run), how has it affected your fuel economy, how is it when you start getting into some twisty roads, how easy is it to install, are you happy with it, what do I need for fuel tuner(I currently have a Terminal Velocity 2). Things of that nature and anything else that you can share with me. THANKS

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I am no expert (emphasis on that). If you have not snooped around thier site, you should, alot of info on there. I believe they also recomend a race tuner for thier application. I also think I have heard they use 8# of boost standard? I am sure everyone will speak up and we will all learn something new.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is what I am hopping for, but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still looking for some input from the guys who have the turbo. I wanna know all about them from people who have them.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I don't run drags so I can't help you with your no-load questions. What I can tell you is that, under load, the turbo lag is about one half a heartbeat. It's very predictable and very easy to modulate. About two runs through the twisties and you'll have re-educated your right hand to the very slight amount of lead it needs to feed in. When the boost comes on it's very smooth and responds precisely to throttle inputs.

Fuel economy effect; negligible to none. My buddy's Sportster gets about 4 MPG MORE with the turbo than without. Why? I dunno.

A Race Tuner is mandatory. You have to alter just about every table in the computer, not just three ranges of fuel flow.

Good luck.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,172 Posts
I too get better MPG with the turbo.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I am starting to lean more towards getting the turbo rather than the nitrous. Now, if only someone who drag races with one would let me know about building boost at the stagging line.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Not only do turbos blow........................They SUCK TOO! :rofl:

Don't mind me, I'm just entertainin' myself!:hidesbeh: I'm just jealous of those turbo basturds!:sad:

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
vrscd_special said:
Thanks for the info guys, I am starting to lean more towards getting the turbo rather than the nitrous. Now, if only someone who drag races with one would let me know about building boost at the stagging line.
You gonna be street riding or drag racing this bike?

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
They don't load on the stage line. Turbos only load on the increase and only at WOT.

Don't take this the wrong way....please...but this question has been asked and answered so many times this summer that I think everyone is tired of answering it and is hoping someone else will have the energy to do it again.

I don't wanna be the guy to say search...but if you go to the "turbo/big bore" section you will find loads of answers there.

Bottom line...the Trask turbo is not going to really change anything other than make you accelerate quicker. It is not going to lag, then kick in in a corner and send you into the trees, nor melt your motor at a stop light, nor suck your fuel tank out like a flushing toilet...it just makes the bike more fun...

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
It's smooth power coming on- at the end of a quarter mile it feels like it's just getting started and as you have to shut it down is when it feels like it wants to just pull your arms out.

There are a few guys on here that have raced with and without the turbo- Greg from Hawaii comes to mind-. Coming off the line the turbo is probably like a stock bike performance wise. About half way down the track is when you really feel it pulling- and in my case when I start to catch whoever just schooled me at the line.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe, I will be doing both with this bike. Mostly it will be a street bike and then I do go to the strip at least once a month or so during the summer. Why, do you think that something else would be better suited for me, like the nitrous? I am still open to any suggestions because I have not bought anything just yey so if there is something that will work better for me let me know. Here's what I want out of my bike. I want something that I can have a lot of fun on the street with and play around some(I don't want crazy amounts of speed, I had a 2005 Ninja ZX-10R, that was crazy speed), but, I still want something that I can go to the strip and, bear in mind here I am at altitude here, run in the mid to high 10's. That is what I want from my vrod.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
The Vrod is plenty capable of breaking speed limits in stock trim. If you want additional power in the mid to higher rpms that comes on with smooth controllability. For the majority of your riding with the bike on the street. The turbo would be a good choice.
If you want a low cost poweradder that you can use at the track to to get instant acceleration. A nitrous system could be a option. There is some changing/ filling of bottles, etc. That is needed with NOS. There is some kits now that are simple and easy to use and install. It also can be used for short bursts on the street.
Please keep in mind they are both great systems that are proven safe. Each has there pros and cons. This is just my very humble opinion.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was looking at getting the Boss Noss system, a friend of mine has it on his "B" and he let me ride it and wow, that is fun. I know how it will perform at the strip, but how will the turbo perform? I would love to hear from people that drag race a turbo VROD and see what their feelings are on the turbo on the strip. Would really love to ride one if anyone in/around Denver would let me(although I doubt it). What are your feelings on grad racing the turbo Joe, be honest please.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
vrscd_special said:
I was looking at getting the Boss Noss system, a friend of mine has it on his "B" and he let me ride it and wow, that is fun. I know how it will perform at the strip, but how will the turbo perform? I would love to hear from people that drag race a turbo VROD and see what their feelings are on the turbo on the strip. Would really love to ride one if anyone in/around Denver would let me(although I doubt it). What are your feelings on grad racing the turbo Joe, be honest please.
A turbo has to build boost. Nitrous is instant. There is one turbo Vrod that I know of that has run high nines. Its an employee of Trask turbo. Most turbos Vrods that I am aware of are running mid 10's.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Matt, just spit it out...he wants to know if a Turbo will beat a Noss system in the 1/4 mile!!! (So do I, we both want to beat our buddy!)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK OK OK, yes I want to beat him in the quarter. Will and turbo bike run with a nitrous bike?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He has Rinehart 2-2 staggereds, SERT, SE air filter and 50hp shot of Boss Noss. He runs on the screamin eagle slick in the rear with a Pingel Wheelie bar. His best run so far was an 11.4 @118 mph. He is still getting used to racing at the strip and with the slick. I really just want to run in the 10's and beat him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts