Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Team, where can I get some black shock absorbers? Is there a range of qualities? What are your suggestions?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi there, I am not super happy with the lean angles and the ride height. I would love for the bike to be a little bit higher.

The street rod VRSCR has a ground clearance of 142mm - and the VRSCX that I have only has 115mm. That is a difference of about 1 inch / 27mm and I am wondering if there are fork extensions and different rear shocks to attain a bit more ground clearance?

Please let me know.

Anyone here who used these?

I am not happy with my ride height. These are only 15mm so I guess ride height will only increase by like 10mm or something?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi there, I am not super happy with the lean angles and the ride height. I would love for the bike to be a little bit higher.

The street rod VRSCR has a ground clearance of 142mm - and the VRSCX that I have only has 115mm. That is a difference of about 1 inch / 27mm and I am wondering if there are fork extensions and different rear shocks to attain a bit more ground clearance?

Please let me know.

Anyone here who used these?

I am not happy with my ride height. These are only 15mm so I guess ride height will only increase by like 10mm or something?
Front you can lift by loosing the triple trees and sliding forks down a bit- maybe get 1/2” - I also swapped my fork oil to heavy duty oil.

Back I used drag specialties dyna shocks and lifted mine a 1/2” but you can lift it a full inch w/ these shocks

Love mine - firm sporty ride - better in every way

Still won’t lean like a sports bike , but it is improved. With the conversion the only way people will know it’s lifted is when it sits on the kickstand it sits a bit more leaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the comments. Here is actually the table of the HD manual

Font Temperature Number Rectangle Pattern

The street rod had 170mm and the other bikes had 127mm which is 43mm lower.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Found these shocks which are 364mm in length. That is 24mm longer than stock

Font Terrestrial plant Art Screenshot Event

They will do roughly 20mm more ride height which is right in between the street rod and the standard models - exactly what I am after. They require about 1" front extensions - I just bought some from Ricks that are 30mm so I have some adjustability.

Awesome, got exactly what I was after!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just dropped the original shocks today, the swingarm all the way down to the stopper (sheet metal stopper protecting tank) allows for a maximum extension of about 360mm. So I went ahead and ordered those 360mm long shocks today...

Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
487 Posts
On a note about the front extensions: If you are looking for better road course/mountain handling, consider going with less then a 1" extension. Having the rear raised over the front just a bit I read increases handling characteristics in corners. You might even get away with setting your forks on the trees with about a 1/2" tall gap and not have to buy an extension kit.

Here's what I did, and I like it: 2003 VRSCA. 180 Rear set at 42psi, 120 Front set at 38psi. Stock rear shocks, set at 4. 26T front pulley and 149 T drive belt (sets rear wheel back slightly farther). 2006 VRSCSE2 Triple Tree (-2 degrees under stock, brings the front wheel in towards the radiator), Patriot Genesis front suspension -1" lowering kit. Red Line 30wt fork oil. Forks set at maximum possible safe extension in the trees.

The result nearly compensates for the change in degrees front angle but still keeps the level adjusted j-u-s-t slightly forward. Also my weight distribution in the saddle is more forward. This is on CTHULHU. When I bought EVIL TWIN (stocker) this summer and went back and forth between the two I couldn't believe how much better CTHULHU handled. I drag some in the turns, but that's aboot the ride height, which I personally didn't want to change because I'm stubby. EVIL TWIN just seems sluggish (but not the a power way) and slow responding in the corners. It was in used stock condition with rear shocks set to 5. Same tires pressures. I am most definitely going to change the rear shocks, change the motor mounts out, and change out the fork oil.

-Sean

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Interesting, thanks for the reply. When you say change the motor mounts, can you elaborate? The front motor mount is just a linkage that is fully rigid. Are you referring to the rear engine mounts? I thought that is rigid through the swingarm axle as well?

The VRSCE2 tripple tree - I assume you changed both, the bottom and the top one?

What is your rider weight? Are you driving alone or sometimes taking a passenger?

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
487 Posts
Motor mounts you probably already saw the links I posted on your other thread. I mean the rubber ones by which the motor attaches to the frame.

Yes top and bottom clamps and stem and bearings and making the whole triple tree.

I'm heavy. 225. Never take a passenger. I have a truck for that. Fat Bottomed girls make the rockin' boy go down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OK, I am not far off with 210. Have a girl friend with me lots of time. I also have a truck but crazy green government doesnt let me drive it. They are OK with China building 110 nuclear power plants and close to 200 coal fired power stations but I cannot drive my Chevy truck because of emissions. Makes total sense you know these people are super smart.

Are the solid mounts doing much for vibrations? Do you have experience here?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts