Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am new here and have already read through quite a few threads. Awesome forum, congratulations.

I would like to consider converting a VRSCX with a road glide fairing, hard cases and a new handle bar. Long story short, I have been riding a Honda Goldwing from 1981 for the last years and would like to have a similar comfort level for both, seating and wind protection. I want to go on long trips (thousands of miles in one go).

What type of handle bar do you suggest here? I am confused with respect to which handle bar I could mount.

Also, where can I get floor boards from?

Would love to read what your thoughts are.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Plant

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Folks,

I am new here and have already read through quite a few threads. Awesome forum, congratulations.

I would like to consider converting a VRSCX with a road glide fairing, hard cases and a new handle bar. Long story short, I have been riding a Honda Goldwing from 1981 for the last years and would like to have a similar comfort level for both, seating and wind protection. I want to go on long trips (thousands of miles in one go).

What type of handle bar do you suggest here? I am confused with respect to which handle bar I could mount.

View attachment 609551
Replied in another thread

Lots of pics/ the conversion kit on my website.

Feel free to email me / pm me

[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
As someone who's been riding Wings for decades and VRODs since their inception. And still has both in the garage. For long haul touring. I would suggest a set of Handle bars that are attached to a newer Goldwing. It is impossible to make a VROD anywhere near the comfort level of a newer Goldwing. Actually, any Goldwing. And the Wing will out perform the VROD in EVERY way other than straight line acceleration. But with a Road Glide faring on it. The Wing will be right there with it in that race as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the most unfortunate circumstance for me is the seat height - which is about 100mm lower on the Vrod as compared to my old Goldwing.

As for the handle bars - I have found these handlebars:

Font Wood Rectangle Parallel Slope

They are available in the following sizes:

16"
14"
12"
10"

What size gets me closest to what I am looking for? I am tall and the Goldwing could have an even larger handle bar to make me most comfortable.

SB

·
Registered
459 Posts
It would be a good idea to check the laws where you are at. Many states here in the US. It is illegal to have bars that put your hands higher than shoulders. I have 16 inch apes on my Deuce. Puts them a couple of inches below my shoulder. They work better than I thought they would. Typically. A 14 inch bar is what most choose for comfort.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - we have the same rules over here - apparently your hands get numb if they are elevated above shoulder height this is why this rule exists.

·
ride 'em hard & wet!
41 Posts
Hi Folks,

View attachment 609551
My NRS is my most comfortable bike thanks to Rich’s seats. I can ride all day/night comfortably.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Road Glide and a V Rod NRS that I got a couple months ago. . I'm contemplating putting a fairing on the NRS. . One thing that I've got concerns with is the range per tank on the NRS. Even with the 5 gallon tank, I think I'm looking at about 150+/- miles( I need to check that on full tank at "normal" cruising speed) ..... way less that the Road Glide.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a Road Glide and a V Rod NRS that I got a couple months ago. . I'm contemplating putting a fairing on the NRS. . One thing that I've got concerns with is the range per tank on the NRS. Even with the 5 gallon tank, I think I'm looking at about 150+/- miles( I need to check that on full tank at "normal" cruising speed) ..... way less that the Road Glide.
Yes my range is about that

Short day trips I just stop more

For any ride that would be significant I would grab a 1 gallon can and put it in the bag - increase range up to 180.

I have a RG 103 too - it gets between 180-200 before I fill it although I have pushed it to 220 once.

(Helps that I am road captain too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ride 'em hard & wet!
41 Posts
i honestly had never heard of them. have you heard of mean city cycles? they do some impressive work. take a gander at their website.
I will look at Mean City cycles, always nice to see what’s out there. Rich’s was a no brainier for me as I can see thier shop from my home in the USA. They checked my body position, added some padding here and there, had me ride it for an hour, then made adjustments. The seat looks original but oh so comfortable!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts