Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2006 CVO Vrod last year... After 3 months of that god awful stock seat, it's time to upgrade. I am not looking for 500 mile comfort since this bike is my local ride bike ( I have an Ultra classic for long rides), but I'd like something I do can 250 miles in a day and not be sore as hell at the end.

There seems to be limited options for upgrade.
I see a couple from Corbin....
The touring seat - that looks comfortable but seems to kill the lines of the bike.
The Hollywood solo - It looks good but I wonder how much of a comfort upgrade it is from the stock seat?

The HD Sundowner - Certainly the cheapest option, but it says it requires the unobtainable '06 seat base, which I do not have. Is it possible to just use the Sundowner rider seat with the stock pillion?
Is there a way to get the Sundowner pillion to fit without the seat base?

Any comments and experiences would be appreciated.

Jeff

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Seat Options

I have an '02 A model and am not specifically familiar with the SE2. Given that, I have all three of those options. The Sundowner is the best bang for the buck; I've done many 400 - 500 mile days on it. Then I tried a Corbin Dual Tour which is very comfortable but looks a bit like a 5 gallon bucket on the bike. I now have what I believe is a Hollywood solo (but does have a pad and back rest) which is very nearly as comfortable as the dual tour and looks decent on the bike. I can't answer your questions about fitment of the Sundowner pillion on the SE2. On my bike the Pillion is a bolt-on affair with a base. My wife even got along with the Sundowner pillion pretty well.

All that said, I'd recommend the Corbin Hollywood. I like the look and it's pretty comfortable. If money is an issue, the Sundowner is the way to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The HD Sundowner - Certainly the cheapest option, but it says it requires the unobtainable '06 seat base, which I do not have. Is it possible to just use the Sundowner rider seat with the stock pillion?
Sundowner is incredibly comfortable and locks you in to place. No experience with the stock seat, but judging visually I don't think there is any contest.

I have the uber-rare baseplate on my SE2. It appears that you can fit the sundowner without the baseplate but really can't say for sure since I bought my bike with the seat already installed. Good luck.

·
Brush
107 Posts
Hi Yes the sundowner will fit with the stock pillion no problem however there is a different finish to the seat cover (snake skin)

·
Registered
52 Posts
So the 2006 has the 240 rear tire, does that mean that the CVO stock seat will fit on a 2007 AW? On the HD site the Sundowner seat for the 2006 CVO is the same part number as the smaller tire 02-06 VRods.

·
119WHP/88lbsTQ
135 Posts
I bought the Sundowner and the earlier year base plate with backrest/luggage rack. I made the bracket and installed the spacers to make the base plate fit perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2006 CVO Vrod last year... After 3 months of that god awful stock seat, it's time to upgrade. I am not looking for 500 mile comfort since this bike is my local ride bike ( I have an Ultra classic for long rides), but I'd like something I do can 250 miles in a day and not be sore as hell at the end.

There seems to be limited options for upgrade.
I see a couple from Corbin....
The touring seat - that looks comfortable but seems to kill the lines of the bike.
The Hollywood solo - It looks good but I wonder how much of a comfort upgrade it is from the stock seat?

Is there a way to get the Sundowner pillion to fit without the seat base?

Any comments and experiences would be appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realize it's been awhile since your post, but when you took off the stock seat, did you keep the pillion, and if so, would you consider selling the stock pillion? Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts