Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an 07' Vrod VRSCAW for about a year and just wasn't comfortable on long rides. The forward controls and slow speed handling were not what I wanted so I traded up to a Street Glide. Now I am again missing my V Rod again, but what I really think I'd like to try is the VRSCR:Street Rod.

What I'm wondering is why it was discontinued? It seems to me it was a great bike with mid set controls and a less raked front end for better handling. While I try to find one to test ride, I was wondering how others feel about it? What' was wrong with it that HD decided to kill it?

Thanks.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
it was hard enough for the salesman to sell vrods then they really had a hard time trying to figure out how to ride much less sell the Street Rod. Like any HD you have to fine tune the seat and the bars and then you can ride like you want.

I personally have a hard time riding an A or DX, forward controls. But the more upright of the R is fun in the corners of Central TX.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
IMHO, The street rod is the only VROD to have !!
Fast, Fun, But still a Harley (even though it is the red headed stepchild)

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The R is great. Don't worry what someone else thinks of the bike. If it works foryou, then that is the bike to own. Like Jethro says, tune it to your liking with a seat and bars, it is a very adaptable bike.
In my mind, this is the way some of the HD engineers wanted the V-Rod to be, but it was too far ahead of Harley's customer base. But, it and the XR-1200 show what HD could be building right now if the hankie heads didn't scare off potential new customers like they do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, found the thread all about this issue. When I got my first V-Rod, I had no knowledge of the R model. The guys at the dealership, as nice as they are, just don't have the customer base to waste their time on anything other than the traditional model bikes. I just don't understand how HD thinks. I think there is a huge market out there for more modern HD's, but I guess the big thinkers at the MoCo, don't see it that way.

If anyone hears about any new V-Rod R's left in showrooms - please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Yup, found the thread all about this issue. When I got my first V-Rod, I had no knowledge of the R model. The guys at the dealership, as nice as they are, just don't have the customer base to waste their time on anything other than the traditional model bikes. I just don't understand how HD thinks. I think there is a huge market out there for more modern HD's, but I guess the big thinkers at the MoCo, don't see it that way.

If anyone hears about any new V-Rod R's left in showrooms - please let me know.

Thanks.
Eh, there are people inside Harley who matter that really do get it. If you go to the International Motorcycle Show near your hometown and find someone with a Motor Company shirt and engage them in a long conversation you might find there is some disappointment in the dealer network among the HD brass regarding the V-Rod in general and the R in particular. Most of the people on the HD display will be from nearby dealerships, but a few with the Motor Company shirts will be from Milwaukee and they are uniformly interesting people to talk to. HD had big expectations of the V-Rod and is stymied how to overcome their own most loyal customers aversion to change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts