Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new seat for my '06 R. What do I look for model wise when trying to buy a seat? I know the R's have the wider frame so do I look at the 07 and up seats or the 02-06 seats? Thanks

·
Asatruar
2,939 Posts
None of the above.
We are the true ''red headed step-children'' of the V-Rod family.

The only seats that fit the VRSCR are those specifically made for it. It leaves you with basically three options:
1. Keep your stock seat.
2. Buy Corbin.
3. Have your stock seat reworked by one of the firms offering that service. Day-Long, or Americana Soft Seats are just two off the top of my head.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for letting know my options. What is it about our seat that is so different? Thanks

·
Asatruar
2,939 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for letting know my options. What is it about our seat that is so different? Thanks
The rear portion of our frame is unique,note the triangular section under the seat,it's different from the other frames,plus our rear fender is also different. This accounts for our seat's difference.

When I first bought my "R" ,I thought I could just change seat, put on shorter shocks , etc., like the other Harleys I'd owned since 1974. Soon enough I found out that wasn't going to be the case with this bike.

Not being a killjoy,I just don't want you to buy something that won't fit.

Viking 1958 may have a sundowner seat for an R for sale on here

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sadly, I looked,that seat isn't for a Street Rod.

Here's a couple pictures of an earlier incarnation of my bike when it still had the proper Sundowner seat & Touring pillion mounted. Both of which I sold quite a while ago to another forum member.

·
Asatruar
2,939 Posts
Yeah I mentioned them earlier.

Question about the seat they show on their webpage. It's on a Street Rod obviously but was the original seat a Sundowner that they modified or is that a reworked stock seat?

I've got Corbins on my bike but also have the stockers set aside.
And truth be told,on a long run I'm missing the extra "leg room" the Sundowner provides.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
I'm not sure it matters which seat they started with.

What I noticed with the early, 180 tire, V-Rods is while the seat foam is different, if you closely examine the seat base pans you notice that the bare pan has the same part number molded in regardless of the foam they put on it later. I noticed this with both the rider and pillion seats for both standard and Sundowner seats.

I would suspect the same with Street Rod items.

·
Asatruar
2,939 Posts
Thanks. Oddly that does make a bit of sense. I'm not certain either.

I did notice that all Day-Long's H-D seats have the same shape & the V Rod seat on the Street Rod at their web site resembles the Sundowner quite a bit.

Which is a good thing since the Sundowner for "R"s is, for all intents & purposes, unavailable.

And their leather seats are priced nearly the same as a set of Corbins (which you have to buy since Corbin's rider's seat isn't compatible with the H-D stock pillion.)

·
Asatruar
2,939 Posts
I've the "Hollywood Solo" version in leather for the base plate & rack. IIRC, it moved me back about an inch. Just the difference between the "Hollywood Solo" and the "Hollywood Close Solo" seats by Corbin.

·
ASE Master Tech
35 Posts
Ive got a Hollywood Solo Seat Set as well as a set of Highway Bars for the VRSCR for sale in the classifieds if your interested.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Better yet, ride to Corbin's shop in Hollister California and get them to make you the seat you want. They customize the seat to your butt and install a seat lock. I am happy with mine still....and I just finished a 4000 mile ride in 7 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts