Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
661 - 680 of 686 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Thanks dimebag ! it was cold out that day and with the shadows her Mirage Orange was retreating to a version of Red - 😄 it's an older photo now she's got the Carbon Fiber look round headlight, Bub 7 pipe with Cf resonator and leave on brackets for the nylon sport bags. Big Fun she rips and hauls the Wifey at stupid speeds pretty comphy - even steers in the mountains - she's one of H-D's better mistakes in motorcycle design (y):cool:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here she is -
Nice I like the smiles.
Question I see you had fog lights mounted on the crash bars. I'm thinking about doing the same, how well did that work? I have a hard time seeing in the corners in the mountain passes. All the assholes 4x4 around here drive with there fog lights on and I feel they are trying to kill me!

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Thanks guys I gotta get more recent pics on here that's over a couple years old and no, I don't have a huge beer belly under that black leather jacket it's just the 85 + wind ( slowing down from 110 ) - but there is a small beer belly under there though - 😄 Summerjim yes those 50 Watt equivalent LED driving lights are the best addition I've made at this stage I hadn't put the LED headlight on there yet so it's still got the Vagina shaped " Candle in the Wind " headlight that H-D gave us. 😫 Also those lights give the sport engine guard something to do and reduces the visual size of the upper bar - I absolutely recommend them people see the bike much better during day or night and I see the road 100% better. Better lighting and brakes should always come before more engine power.
Deltaflash yes Pan America is getting great reviews but I'm really excited about the engine showing up in a cruiser. I used to race a 250 # YZ WR 400F off road and that was a tank or " ground magnet " as I called it ( even though it would jump 85+ feet with the torque on a track, it was heavy on it's feet off road. So a 300 # heavier 550 # high seat street bike that can be ridden off road is great until you try to haul ass, it just won't do it. And if you drop it in the dirt have fun picking it back up. It'll be a fad until folks figure out what it's not. Price wise it's between the BMW & KTM so best of luck to H-D with it as they have a great shot at selling many of them, but there's already whispers of a new cruiser with that engine, which is the follow on to the Revolution in our V Rods. I'm waiting for that. (y):cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks guys I gotta get more recent pics on here that's over a couple years old and no, I don't have a huge beer belly under that black leather jacket it's just the 85 + wind ( slowing down from 110 ) - but there is a small beer belly under there though - 😄 Summerjim yes those 50 Watt equivalent LED driving lights are the best addition I've made at this stage I hadn't put the LED headlight on there yet so it's still got the Vagina shaped " Candle in the Wind " headlight that H-D gave us. 😫 Also those lights give the sport engine guard something to do and reduces the visual size of the upper bar - I absolutely recommend them people see the bike much better during day or night and I see the road 100% better. Better lighting and brakes should always come before more engine power.
Deltaflash yes Pan America is getting great reviews but I'm really excited about the engine showing up in a cruiser. I used to race a 250 # YZ WR 400F off road and that was a tank or " ground magnet " as I called it ( even though it would jump 85+ feet with the torque on a track, it was heavy on it's feet off road. So a 300 # heavier 550 # high seat street bike that can be ridden off road is great until you try to haul ass, it just won't do it. And if you drop it in the dirt have fun picking it back up. It'll be a fad until folks figure out what it's not. Price wise it's between the BMW & KTM so best of luck to H-D with it as they have a great shot at selling many of them, but there's already whispers of a new cruiser with that engine, which is the follow on to the Revolution in our V Rods. I'm waiting for that. (y):cool:

The adventure bikes are really just for heading down a gravel or logging road. There are a couple that can handle a little more than that but like you say, just too heavy. I had a VSTROM for a while and it was a great bike but would bottom out really quick.

The adventure bikes are great for what they are. If you are out on a trip and decide to head up a gravel road just to see what is up that road , you can.

My buddy and I took a trip to Colorado just before COVID and probably crossed a thousand bikes. I would guess 990 of those bike were adventure bikes and the rest were street. My buddy was on a Goldwing and I was on my Vision. (Old Guys) The adventure bikes are selling like hotcakes out here in the west. I hope HD sells a pot load of them because we need those jobs here. Indian and Buell are suppose to get into the hunt also from what I hear.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
deltaflash - If I lived out West I'd have one ! I rented a GS1200 out in Denver and rode it two up to 11,300 ft on an old railroad bed/ jeep trail in the back way to Breckenridge thru rain, then sleet, then snow then sunshine - then back to dry Denver on snowy roads and thru the Eisenhower tunnel at 70+ mph - I was very impressed with that bike overall but still high and heavy bouncing off rocks off road - my nephews KTM 1290 was a bit better overall up there. Here in Florida lots of trails are sugar sand, a workout on my 250# WR400F to keep power and speed up, front end from tucking - let alone a 300 # heavier bike two up ? No way. But out West or other places on gravel or packed trails ? yea, it would be real fun. I hope they sell a lot of them too to give H-D some working capital to create the new replacement V Rod Power Cruiser that we all need and the new Revo Max engine is screaming to be installed in - Hey H-D don't forget a nice mid controls version to replace my R Model ! I'm sitting here with CASH $$ Money ready to buy ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a small enduro so I can leave the house and go from pavement to dirt in my local area. I don't plan on any cross-country trips where I would be doing that. I might change my mind if I fall in to the wrong crowd. LOL I have been spoiled with the comforts of the big touring bikes and don't think I could return to the other.
((Don't ever buy your wife a Cadillac cause she will never go back to the Buick.)) 😁

This is how I travel now. On the street and off.
Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle
Horse Cloud Sky Water Mountain

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Awesome photos deltaflash ! Yea, I bought my WR 400 back in 2000 just for riding from my home to some local dirt trails ( within a hour and a half radius or so ) - did a couple dual sport rides during bike weeks to Ocala National forest, Tomoka St. Park etc. and had a lot of fun with a B/S tag but it was difficult to get it registered & licensed in FL. with my added on lights, turn signals stop light etc. as they cancelled the highway trooper approval process. In any event now Honda, Yamaha, KTM etc. builds great off road bikes that are roadworthy and turn key registrable. I might just revisit this, the Key is 350 - 450cc four stroke max to keep it light and fun off road, we don't need on road performance, it's just for transferring to the trails W/O a trailer. In that light these size single cylinder bikes make great sense and deliver off road. 80% Off road 20% on road performance vs 80% On road 20% off road like the Pan Am. The right tool for the job. The Pan Am will deliver no doubt on the road but not in serious, soft dirt, wooped out or muddy, rocky incline off road conditions. Kinda like the guy with a waxed up big tire jeep driving around town - he's got the street cred of an off roader but never takes it off road so basically it's a just shitty, loud tire uncomfortable jeep never used in it's intended duty, and he's just a poser. Could happen with a Pan Am. I just want that Revo Max engine in a power cruiser. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 06 I picked up last month with 3600 miles on her. I've put 1500 miles on her in under a month of riding on mostly on weekends. I'm loving everything but the lead ass. A different seat will be my first upgrade. Though, I've noticed having a cool and rare bike. That makes aftermarket parts also rare. Which is not so cool. Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

661 - 680 of 686 Posts