Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am inquiring buying new Extended Reach handlebars for my 06 Street rod but can't really find anything besides these for the night rod (http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/reduced-reach-handlebar)
I just wanted to know if they were going to fit.

Long story short, my buddy laid down my bike. the previous owner had reduced reach bars on it already and i enjoy them a lot. He is paying for everything so i'm just trying to find the parts i need. I am also looking for the stock exhaust slip ons for top and bottom, Rear view mirror (right side), Turn Signal for the forks (Right Side) and the left VRSCR Saddle Bag. If anyone has these or looking to sell them im am very interested to restore my bike and getting it back on the street asap. Thanks!
-Kurtis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am inquiring buying new Extended Reach handlebars for my 06 Street rod but can't really find anything besides these for the night rod (Search | Harley-Davidson United States)
I just wanted to know if they were going to fit.

Long story short, my buddy laid down my bike. the previous owner had reduced reach bars on it already and i enjoy them a lot. He is paying for everything so i'm just trying to find the parts i need. I am also looking for the stock exhaust slip ons for top and bottom, Rear view mirror (right side), Turn Signal for the forks (Right Side) and the left VRSCR Saddle Bag. If anyone has these or looking to sell them im am very interested to restore my bike and getting it back on the street asap. Thanks!
-Kurtis.
Hello there! I'm considering the exact option for my street rod, how did that worked for you after the change? besides the handlebar itself, what else did you had to change? (clutch and brake lines? cables for the controls?)

thanks in advance for any help on this

Happy riding!

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
You can change to '07 R Model black bars and just install a new fwd brake line from a '07 R model, I did it's much better - as I get older I'm going to the Nightrod P/N 55800027 bars which may require a longer clutch cable, my end riding play if I need even more upright seating is to use the Nightrod riser, same handlebars ( I also have a set of Nightrod reduced reach bars ) but that will require a different instrument cluster to bolt into the riser and longer throttle, clutch cables and wiring so that will be an involved and expensive mod. I think the 55800027 bars by themselves is probably the least expensive best fit mod overall - (y) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Yea, gonna be a while yet but the '07 bars are P/N 56953-07 and I believe still available - check Ronnies Syrdyke etc. and/or have a H-D dealer do a dealer net search for you big expense is that double front brake line from the '07 like twice the cost of the bars. :oops::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Yea, I think there is aftermarket Goodridge lines available for less $ but still isn't cheap bars & double brake brake line still over a couple hundred bucks - let's see 2 items for a H-D ( Hundred Dollars each ) = over $ 200 - so yea, that's the ticket ! :( If you have long arms like me the '07 bars are really totally acceptable, but if not if I were you I'd go directly to the NightRod bars using the existing R risers - best of both worlds, higher and more pullback than '07 bars and no N?R riser needed ( although clutch hose and possible wiring lengthening may be necessary ) lighter as well by a few pounds without the N/R riser, plus R inst. cluster need not be replaced to fit the N/R riser. My next move.(y)

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can change to '07 R Model black bars and just install a new fwd brake line from a '07 R model, I did it's much better - as I get older I'm going to the Nightrod P/N 55800027 bars which may require a longer clutch cable, my end riding play if I need even more upright seating is to use the Nightrod riser, same handlebars ( I also have a set of Nightrod reduced reach bars ) but that will require a different instrument cluster to bolt into the riser and longer throttle, clutch cables and wiring so that will be an involved and expensive mod. I think the 55800027 bars by themselves is probably the least expensive best fit mod overall - (y) ;)
Well, thanks a million for the detailed explanation. I went for the reach handlebar for the nightrod but polished (P/N 55988-04) keeping my R 06's look. I got it for some $66 CAD (nice surprise from the dealer BTW) and after some research, apparently with some rerouting everything stock except the brake lines would do the trick. (the brake line is for the VRSCD P/N 44736-06B $126 CAD) and they're expected to arrive anytime soon, so hopefully that would make my streetrod more confortable. I'm also planning to put a 1" lowering kit on the back. ($25 CAD on ebay), I'll post the results as soon as I get everything installed. Regards!

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Sounds good, the reach bar has a bit too much pullback for me ( I like a straighter bar ) so I wrapped them up for when I get really old and can't lean forward at all - I personally would not lower the back of the bike unless you've got really short legs. The R is the best steering V Rod by far but that will make it more of a difficult turner especially at high speed. You can always back off the rear shock preload and achieve the same general effect, and even put 5 wt fork oil in to loosen the forks up some and settle the bike down lower in the suspension stroke. If you lower the rear you can raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps by 10-20MM to help reset the front to rear balance so the bike still steers like an R should - ( a trick many here have done without lowering the rear to improve steering.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks again for your evident wisdom and great advice! I'll consider the options you're suggesting once I got the handlebar and see how I fit into the bike as I'm not a fan of changing the geometry of any machine too far beyond its original design and the lowering kit is just a couple of bucks anyway. Stay tuned and ride safe!!

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Roger that ! We had a great ride this evening finally no rain for about 4 hours the R we got her out, hauled A$$ nice long roads, smooth long curves - got her to stretch her legs and wound her out man she rocks ! Enjoy the bike but yea, don't get too crazy off the OEM setup it'll satisfy one aspect like lower seat height in the city but come back to bite you in the A$$ later when you're hauling A$$ in the country and the lower seat height is only a factor when you're stopped, but at high speed the bike won't turn, so really not good. The R should be set up for the element she runs in, and around town deal with that setup, not the other way around. Just sayin' - you gotta think ahead. (y):)

·
Registered
40 Posts
welll... again you nailed it with that!!! I'll put the new bar for now and will wait to see the result before considering the lowering kit. Again, thanks a million for your advice!. Will post some pics when the handlebar is installed. 🤘😎

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Our local HEL performance dealer made me custom length braided stainless steel clutch and front brake lines about 100 euros. Including new t-piece under triple tree. Must be cheaper in the US. Many colors available. To me black is always haute couture. I had to squeeze every bit of movement from the clutch with Barnett 11 discs. I thought that non rubber steel braided line would expand less but there were not so much difference. Nice and tech looking they are.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts