Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Harley-Davidson VRSCR Street Rod
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading here about the need to replace rear brake switches on V-Rods, used the info I found to order an Accell part to replace the OE on my (new to me) 06. Looking at the installation, there's a very limited amount of space. I've read many have moved/ removed exhaust, among other means.

Is there some reason I'm missing that I should NOT remove the right side frame bar? It looks like that would make plenty of room to do the job, but it's never mentioned in any of the posts.

Something I should know about not messing with the removable frame bar?

Thanks!
-mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doing more research here (seems to be a very common question), I discovered the Accell part does NOT fit the VRSCR Brembos- glad I haven't yanked things apart yet! ordering the Goodridge part...

Still can't find any answers about the frame rail as an access point to replace the switch

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Mike - I replaced mine & never touched the frame rail - just pull the brake lever, remove M/C bolts & swing the rear M/C around, and swap out the switch. Found pieces of rubber from my back brake hose plugged the switch ( and the rear caliper ) resulting in intermittent rear brake action and brake light operation. Always support the rear caliper when the rear wheel is removed or it hangs and cracks the I.D. of the brittle hose, putting pieces of rubber into the brake fluid to fk things up. Took a switch and hose to fix mine on the R. No problems since. (y):cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doing more research here (seems to be a very common question), I discovered the Accell part does NOT fit the VRSCR Brembos- glad I haven't yanked things apart yet! ordering the Goodridge part...

Still can't find any answers about the frame rail as an access point to replace the switch
From 10 years ago:

Photo of VRSCR Rear Brake Switch

I came across this photo of part number 72025-06 to make sure you are getting the right switch and to indicate the difference from most other Harley Brake Switches.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been reading here about the need to replace rear brake switches on V-Rods, used the info I found to order an Accell part to replace the OE on my (new to me) 06. Looking at the installation, there's a very limited amount of space. I've read many have moved/ removed exhaust, among other means.

Is there some reason I'm missing that I should NOT remove the right side frame bar? It looks like that would make plenty of room to do the job, but it's never mentioned in any of the posts.

Thanks!
-mike
10 years ago:
Brake switch

I have taken mine out and it is fairly easy. Pull the plug and rubber boots off first. I then used a 17mm(I think) straight ring spanner to loosen switch and then undid by hand. It is a little tight with the exhaust. I have Samson Calibers so I don't know if that makes a difference. There are two copper washers either side of the banjo that should be put back in their original positions or better yet brand new ones used. Fitting is just the reverse. You will lose brake fluid once you undo and your back brake needs to be bled and the reservoir topped up once you install the new switch and re-install the boot/plugs.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Thanks!
-mike
If you are actually replacing the rear brake switch it sets back by the rear of the engine on the right side. No need to remove the frame bar. It sets really close to the exhaust and it actually melted and I lost rear brakes on a ride a few years ago. I moved it away from the exause with some common brass pipe fittings 1/8 inch I think. and then put some heat shielding on it.
Ben

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
As any R owner already knows, this switch is not the common version on other models. I might add, while there is a generic aftermarket VRSCR replacement, some cannot stand up to the amperage draw for too long. One package I read warned about this and suggested using a relay in the circuit. Read the specs before ordering this aftermarket part. Recently worked on an R and this (gold colored) replacement wasn't working. Got a new one from HD (silver colored) and it's been fine since. Yup, I pulled the V&H collector to add room for the task.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Just checked my replacement switch Ron and it's the silver H-D one I installed - but yea I found the switch I replaced was working after I cleaned all the rubber pieces out of it. 😕 Rarebird13 If there is evidence of any black particles in the brake fluid when you bleed it into a clean container don't delay - replace the rear brake hose asap or you'll just revisit the problem when the new switch gets plugged up with particles, I believe the hose gets baked by the exhaust system on some bikes, I used a 2002 exhaust mounting ( slider ) bracket on my BuB7 2-1 install and it's got a tall piece that helps protect the brake hose from the radiant exhaust heat, but the baked brake hose was done by the OEM exhaust. LED stop lights are easier on the amperage being pulled thru the switch as well, expensive but well worth it, and much brighter for safety. (y):cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From 10 years ago:

Photo of VRSCR Rear Brake Switch

I came across this photo of part number 72025-06 to make sure you are getting the right switch and to indicate the difference from most other Harley Brake Switches.

Attachments

Yep, the R is the banjo bolt style. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the input!
Managed to break a finger working on a Miata, so this project is on hold for a couple days at least... 🤬
-mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Incidentally, the H-D OE part is obsolete, near impossible to find. Fortunately the banjo style is fairly common on other bikes, and Goodridge makes a dependable replacement piece- just requires modifying connector

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Incidentally, the H-D OE part is obsolete, near impossible to find. Fortunately the banjo style is fairly common on other bikes, and Goodridge makes a dependable replacement piece- just requires modifying connector
Got an OEM swithc from a dealer about 2 months ago. Mind you , it took two weeks to get it.
Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My parts guy (I'm a Riding Academy Instructor for dealer, so I've got a solid relationship with staff) told me it's an obsolete part, no supercession- so it would be a matter of luck finding one by calling around. So I went with Goodridge- good past experience with brand and too lazy to do a bunch of searching

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Google 72025-06B. Several to be had and even Ronnies still list it.
Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2006 Harley Davidson Street Bike VRSCR STREET ROD® (HC) Sections. Failing that, this one should work with a wire change and possible thread length reduction if needed on some.
A search for Brembo single banjo M1X1.0 will bring up others as well. Tusk, even makes a Brembo replacement based on the Amazon link.
Be aware of some of them. I believe this is a Goodridge, maybe, maybe not. Look at the specs for any of them to be sure. Most however can handle the amperage.
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Again - make sure the switch isn't plugged up with chunks of rubber like mine was - remove it, inspect it, clean it, see if it works - you may not even need a difficult to find switch - just sayin' - I found out the hard way (y):cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
several dealers listed it, but a call equaled empty shelf. Also, not the easiest job- didn't seem worth it to replace a known weak point with the same part even if I did find one

Goodridge part installed, along with a flush and fresh fluid- and I now have a working brake light again!

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts