Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks - Newbie HD guy and , newbie VRSCR as well. Got a V-Rod/Street Rod last year and did not ride much, the bike was in the garage for winter. However last month during the extreme cold spell in IL, I saw oil dripping near the side stand. Could not get it to then, but decided to take a look today and found that the oil is leaking from the pipe near the gear box I guess. The battery was also dead, even while connected to the battery tender. The bike has about 9300 miles. and I bought with about 9250 miles from a dealer in NC.

Please see the pics and provide your opinions that will help me. Is that the gearbox oil leak? What could have caused it? There was a lot more oil that is showing in the pics as I had wiped it off before.

I guess my battery is dead as due to some reason. Can I ride to the HD dealership 13 miles away after replacing the battery ? Or is it better to simply get it towed?

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine developed a leak there, turned out to be the stator wire. It is under the oil level. The grommet that seals it shrank over the years. It’s not leaking that much, you should be ok to ride it in.
I used o-rings and ultra black silicone to repair it and so far so good.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,554 Posts
The dreaded stator seal leak. It's a common malady and it's repairable, just a nuisance. Drain the oil, remove the stator cover, carefully clean the metal and rubber as best you can, seal around with some good oil resistant sealer, reassemble and let it cure before refilling with oil.
The cover can be a bugger to remove because of the magnets but there's a clever trick some have used to help. As I recall once you remove the cover screws, go to hardware store and buy longer bolts with the same thread, cut off the heads and thread the bolts through the holes into the case. These act as a guide rods to keep the cover pulling off straight without being pulled aside by the magnets of the rotor.
Or you can take it to the dealer.
And while it's open get them to check the torque on the triple sprocket bolt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advise. Will do that. Thanks much. Will just have to get the battery first to be able to ride to the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or I am thinking since it lost about a coffee mug's worth of oil (250 ml) I guess its not a good idea to ride it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Oil loss drops on ground are very deceiving. They look like the engine lost a lot more than actually was lost. Oil spots spread, especially over time. Check the oil level. If the level is between the minimum mark and halfway cold, your good to ride. Do not top off cold. Oil level should be properly checked when at operating temperature (the oil not the engine) running the bike for 10 minutes does not bring the oil up to temp. Oil level raises as the oil temp increases. I personally tried just silicon and 24hr setup 3 times and always leaked, until I used O rings with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts