Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
05 VRSCSE Teal Blue
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What is it about the upside-down forks on the VRSCR that make it better .
I know they are larger and a different angle , but why is the new design that
important ?

Just a newbie asking questions - thanks .

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
They are supposed to be stiffer and on race bikes lighter as well.
You have 2 components, the tube and the slider.
On standard forks the tube, steel, heavy, is the largest component.
On inverteds the slider, aluminum, light, is the largest part.
What you have is a longer slider, light part, shorter tube, heavy part, inverted.

The bending stiffness of a tube is related to its material and it's size. For any material the larger the diameter the stiffer it is.
While aluminum does not have the bending stiffness of steel in a direct size-for-size comparison if you make the aluminum component incrementally larger you will eventually equal then surpass the stiffness of a smaller diameter steel part of the same length.
Beyond that the internals are roughly the same and act the same.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Been thinking and I would have to see actual weighed items before I could buy "less unsprung weight"
I doubt however that the new components weight more.
You still have the wheel/disc/axle assy, and calipers, which may be lighter.
The composite steel lower tubes/aluminum caliper brackets though may weigh as much or more then the aluminum sliders they replace.
Steel weighs .28 lb per cu/in, aluminum .10 lb per cu/in, about 1/3 the weight of steel.
The inverteds have that lower aluminum piece that is about the size of a stock slider cut in half, there's half your stock slider wieght. The coresponding steel tube would have to be much less than 1/3 the physical volume of the aluminum slider to get the weight below the stock slider alone.
For this bike though it's a non-issue. 620 lb "Sport-Bike" is kind of an contradiction in terms.
The stock tubes are 49mm diameter. Largest of any stock items I am aware of on any production machine, and thus PLENTY STIFF.
Accordingly the stock sliders that fit them are also pretty large, close to 60mm I imagine.
Any weakness in the stock forks is not related to the tube assemblies. We all know to look at the tree assy that connects them to the frame. Talk about "weeping willow".
As for the stock brakes I am likewise annoyed by the "drag" of the stock pads. I have read that after market pads cures this. I know though it is noticeable when pushing the bike around and hearing that rubbing and feeling the resistance to rolling as well.
But all the same the stock dual 4 piston calipers are pretty strong and I have to say that it is still the best stopping bike I've ever owned by far.

·
VRSC est -03
2,529 Posts
Found it!

Double check swingarms cross member does not touch the fuel tank. Includ a passenger.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Why would anyone do that to an R Model ? I mean the only reason it exists is to be an improvement on the standard V Rod with taller shocks, forks, rake pulled in, more like a race bike. To take it the other way just basically says you didn't buy the right V Rod to begin with. Just saying - the mid pegs say it all - get it up in the air for carving corners. If you don't want to do that just sell it or trade it to someone else for a slammed street ride city style V Rod with the kicked out front end. Save the R's !

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Why would anyone do that to an R Model ? I mean the only reason it exists is to be an improvement on the standard V Rod with taller shocks, forks, rake pulled in, more like a race bike. To take it the other way just basically says you didn't buy the right V Rod to begin with. Just saying - the mid pegs say it all - get it up in the air for carving corners. If you don't want to do that just sell it or trade it to someone else for a slammed street ride city style V Rod with the kicked out front end. Save the R's !
My thoughts exactly! The R was different for a very specific reason. I fail to understand why, if it's the conventional style/look they want then why not buy a conventional V Rod which there are more of and easier to find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts