Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a paper to write for my Technical writing class. I have to write a product review for something that I want to buy. I chose the V-Rod Muscle. I've had sport bikes and dirt bikes but never a Harley (yet). I'm riding a Honda superhawk now and my last bike was a Ducati SS. I love the V-twin! I am hopefully going to pick up a vrod this year.

I am trying to get some feedback about customer satisfaction. If you own a VRSCF would you please answer a few questions and tell me about your bike? I would appreciate the help.

Are you happy with the bike?

Have you had any problems or recalls?

Have you taken it on long trips and how did it perform?

Have you taken it to a drap strip and how did it perform?

How have other Harley owners received the bike?

What made you choose the VRod over other models?

Is there anything else you can tell me about the bike?

My paper requires that I have permission to use any photo that I include. Would you share a photo and give me permission to use it in my paper?

Thanks!! It is almost riding season!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
i can give few answers but it's better than nothing ;) i have had a v-rod vrsca, a fat boy and a suzuki hayabusa,i belive that v-rod has the better compromise between power and comfort.i changed the v-rod for the fat boy...but i don't know why, it was not a good idea anyway, infact i'll buy soon a muscle.for the long trips, the wind even under the feet is a little bit tiring.i'm thinking to change the footpegs.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
Probably one of the few topics I could actually bring myself to write passionately about, so I'll give you something that might help.

Are you happy with the bike? Overall yes, very. The things I don't like about it are minor for the most part as I'm a picky person, but the thing I don't like the most is the choice to go with polished aluminum for the engine covers/wheels VS chrome. Polished Aluminum is a bloody NIGHTMARE to clean, and I've even recently discovered hard water stains on my wheels that I simply can not remove (I've tried everything, something about the combination of my mr.clean auto-dry water dripping to the bottom of the rim and drying there was really not good though, probably somehow permanently damaged the finish even though I don't understand how), this to me is the biggest flaw for the Muscle. The bike has a lot of real estate to clean and it would be so much better if you could simply just wipe it away instead of polishing it constantly and even when you're finished the imperfections in the finish it's self show still, drives me nuts.

Have you had any problems or recalls? No, but you'll find most complains about V-Rods in general have to do with the fuel gauge, as over time if often fails to accurately read fuel levels. HD has known of the issue for years but has yet to develop a solution.

Have you taken it on long trips and how did it perform? I've taken the bike for 5-6 hours in a day before, other than some lower back pain on my end due to my poor posture in general, it performed beautifully. Being as this bike is liquid cooled, you can go all day every day and have great performance because it never overheats like a traditional air cooled might in extreme conditions.

Have you taken it to a drag strip and how did it perform? I haven't, but many riders here do race and can provide lots of insight into the numbers performance of their either sock or modified v-rods.

How have other Harley owners received the bike? Don't listen to what people on this forum will tell you as most of it is hyperbole as they believe what they want to hear, that what they have is different because they don't want to be associated with the fanboyism. I have been all over the place in the last few years with my bike, and not once has anyone ever said they simply didn't like the bike. Most die hard HD fans do critique it, say what they like and what they don't, but in the end the response is always "nice machine though!" Overall I think I get more positive comments riding the F than if I rode around in a rolls royce phantom with Brooklyn Decker in the passenger seat because people simply don't know what it is most of the time and they want to talk to me about it, and the more I tell them the more impressed they are.

What made you choose the VRod over other models? As I hinted above, the Vrod is the epitome of different. Often times people who are attracted to the Vrod are those who want to go against the grain and don't want to ride around on a cookie cut copy, and that's how it is for me. I didn't want a crotch rocket, didn't want a traditional cruiser...I wanted performance and style bottled into one package and the Vrod provides that and it's why it was my first choice.

Is there anything else you can tell me about the bike? Don't buy it unless you're prepared to be overwhelmed by the sensation to tinker and modify your ride. The F is an expensive bike and lots of the parts/mods aren't cheap either, so don't assume the sticker price is actually what you'll be spending on the bike.:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Response from Western Australia

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a paper to write for my Technical writing class. I have to write a product review for something that I want to buy. I chose the V-Rod Muscle. I've had sport bikes and dirt bikes but never a Harley (yet). I'm riding a Honda superhawk now and my last bike was a Ducati SS. I love the V-twin! I am hopefully going to pick up a vrod this year.

I am trying to get some feedback about customer satisfaction. If you own a VRSCF would you please answer a few questions and tell me about your bike? I would appreciate the help.

Are you happy with the bike?
I am from Western Australia and I am more than happy with my VRSCF. I dislike the name - whoever thought up "muscle" ought to be hung up by their thumbs for while to contemplate their sins. I sold a Triumph Thruxton to buy it, completely different motorcycle.

Have you had any problems or recalls?
Yes - I had problems with the ABS system not working - this was resolved by the local dealer over a 3 week period (under the warranty) and now works as advertised.

I usually take it for a 100km (60 miles) or so run on weekends. The exhausts get particularly hot - especially the cats (Aussie model - US models don't have them) Runs like a dream but it uses a lot of fuel. I am not a fan of the feet forward riding position. I get backaches after 50km or so - mainly due to my poor posture I think. I am going to purchase a mid-mount control set.

Have you taken it to a drap strip and how did it perform?
Not yet - need to get my leather suit altered to fit my beer gut. I will be interested to find out if I can still do a half decent launch, the last time I tried sprinting was 25 years ago.

How have other Harley owners received the bike?
Most like it - but I have found Harleys are like dogs - they attract fleas. I have had some negative comments from the ignorant. My brother and his friends - all professional engineer types who ride Harleys all like my bike.

What made you choose the VRod over other models?
I didn't want an air cooled model, and my son liked the VRSCF

Is there anything else you can tell me about the bike?
Unlike your other respondent - I dont mind polishing bare alloy. I have had several older English bikes over the years. I use a metal called 'Autosol' - that removes water stains from the cases and wheels. I don't know if you can get it in the US

My paper requires that I have permission to use any photo that I include. Would you share a photo and give me permission to use it in my paper?
You may use the attached photo - taken the day I bought the bike

We can ride all year round here in Western Australia - no snow!

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here's my feedback. Hope it helps....

Are you happy with the bike? Yes love it! I have 2009 VRSCF.

Have you had any problems or recalls? Yes I had stator go bad in the first 3 months I had the bike. Left me stranded on the side of the road, had to get a hook. Funny thing was I was headed to the dealer to look at some parts for mods. I bought it in March 2009.

Longest was about 200 miles in 5 hours. Stopped some and did some sight seeing. I was a lot more comfortable than I was on 1200 Sporty.

Have you taken it to a drap strip and how did it perform? never did that.

How have other Harley owners received the bike? Everyone I talked to really likes the bike. Harley and non-Harley owners.

What made you choose the VRod over other models? Performance & Styling. Loved the look and feel of a big solid bike that performed well. I did a 50 mile test ride before I bought and smiled the whole time. I was worried about the riding position but I am not sore at all and a lot easier on my body.

Is there anything else you can tell me about the bike? I agree with cleaning comments in the post above. Not real happy how much H-D lowered the price for the recent model years but still love the bike and feel it was worth the $$$.

My paper requires that I have permission to use any photo that I include. Would you share a photo and give me permission to use it in my paper? What types of photos do you want?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts