·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the video of the process enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWav4Ea05M

This is an update to the following post

New sound for my VRSCDX without breaking the bank
I have owned my Vivid Black VRSCDX for about 4 months now and have grown tired of the lack of depth in its sound. After I did much research I found that many people have increased the exhaust tone on their VRS models by drilling holes in the exhaust end caps.

So I bought a used VRSCDX exhaust on EBAY and did some experimenting on them. It resulted in a 6 5/16th holes in each exhaust and 3 slits in the end caps.

I posted a video on youtube for your viewing and listening pleasure.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Wow, great job on doing a "how to" video!!!! :notworth:

I will be watching for more to come from you :D

I drilled my DX pipes, but just popped the caps off and drilled away :)

I put four holes in each, 1/2" drill, starting with a smaller size drill. Here are some pics of what mine looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
great job. simple, but precise and well detailed. sounds good too. thanks for the vid and the play by play

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
wow , great vid , thanks for your work on it

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
MAN!!! that is an awesome video you got there! one of the mods should move this to the "how-to" section for people looking to do this mod. You've made it very easy for somebody to do this them self :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are looking to deepen the sound with as little cost as possible, that sounds like a great deal. However, if you can spare $525, you can make a dramatic improvement to the sound, look and performance of your bike. I love my NRS, but the factory exhaust doesn't match the bike and is way too quite. After much research, I purchased the TAB slash cut, baffled pipe, Fuel manager and K&N filter for about $525, which I thought was cheap compared to the alternatives. The pipes are painted flat black to match the scheme of the bike and really look like they belong. My only worry was what the sound would be like and if it really was as easy to install as promised. Let me just say that I am very pleased. The sound is very "throaty" and deep. I got the baffled pipe so that I wouldn't have any trouble with the local law enforcement. I was told the unbaffled pipe was pretty loud on 1130's, so I didn't chance it. The pipes took about 15 minutes to switch out. VERY QUICK AND EASY! The fuel manager involves taking off some parts in order to get to the fuel injection, but it really wasn't as hard as it sounds. The instructions are detailed and illustrated. They are very manageble unless you have never opened a tool box. Even though the unit is preset for the products and bike you purchase, it still took some tweeking. However, I was able to install and tune in less than an hour, which saved me an expensive trip to the HD dealer to have it Dyno'd. The filter, fuel manager and pipes were easy to install, sound and look awesome and the bike runs better than ever. Trust me, if you can part with the money, you will never look back. I LOVE THE LOOK AND SOUND OF MY BIKE NOW, and I got a small performance boost to boot. I purchsed the package online at "tabperformance.com".

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
lonewolfe said:
If you are looking to deepen the sound with as little cost as possible, that sounds like a great deal. However, if you can spare $525, you can make a dramatic improvement to the sound, look and performance of your bike. I love my NRS, but the factory exhaust doesn't match the bike and is way too quite. After much research, I purchased the TAB slash cut, baffled pipe, Fuel manager and K&N filter for about $525, which I thought was cheap compared to the alternatives. The pipes are painted flat black to match the scheme of the bike and really look like they belong. My only worry was what the sound would be like and if it really was as easy to install as promised. Let me just say that I am very pleased. The sound is very "throaty" and deep. I got the baffled pipe so that I wouldn't have any trouble with the local law enforcement. I was told the unbaffled pipe was pretty loud on 1130's, so I didn't chance it. The pipes took about 15 minutes to switch out. VERY QUICK AND EASY! The fuel manager involves taking off some parts in order to get to the fuel injection, but it really wasn't as hard as it sounds. The instructions are detailed and illustrated. They are very manageble unless you have never opened a tool box. Even though the unit is preset for the products and bike you purchase, it still took some tweeking. However, I was able to install and tune in less than an hour, which saved me an expensive trip to the HD dealer to have it Dyno'd. The filter, fuel manager and pipes were easy to install, sound and look awesome and the bike runs better than ever. Trust me, if you can part with the money, you will never look back. I LOVE THE LOOK AND SOUND OF MY BIKE NOW, and I got a small performance boost to boot. I purchsed the package online at "tabperformance.com".
"I am not only the president but I am also a member"
:vrodforu: :vrodforu:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great video. I'm planning on doing mine this weekend. Thanks for the help.

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
vanslam: Great Vid!! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

lonewolfe said:
Even though the unit is preset for the products and bike you purchase, it still took some tweeking. However, I was able to install and tune in less than an hour, which saved me an expensive trip to the HD dealer to have it Dyno'd.
lonewolfe: As you stated you had to tweak the fueler. How did you do that and know it's right without a trp to the dyno? Did you have your own wide band?? I'm thinking the is the same route I want to go but with the PCIII as I've heard some negative stuff about the Tabs fueler. Still gotta wait for the '08 version to come out though. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
lonewolfe: As you stated you had to tweak the fueler. How did you do that and know it's right without a trp to the dyno? Did you have your own wide band?? I'm thinking the is the same route I want to go but with the PCIII as I've heard some negative stuff about the Tabs fueler. Still gotta wait for the '08 version to come out though. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Paul: I can't speak to what you should do, but this is what I did and it worked very well. The Tab fueler has 10 presets based on what you buy and your bike. That is set up for you by the seller. Then you have an adjustment dialer for all three of the rpm ranges: 0-3000, 3000-6000 & 6000 to 9000. Each has + or - 20% screws that you can adjust to make the fuel mixture richer or thinner. I used the same type of concept I use on my '67 Chevelle SS when trying to dial in the distributer. I hold the motor constant at each 1000 rpm lvl ( 1k, 2k, 3k, etc...) and turn until I sounds and feels right. On my particular set up, the preset was rich on all 3 levels. I had to reduce the 1st stage almost the entire 20%, but the final 2 stages were decreased about 7%. One word to the wise, start by increasing the fuel so that you don't starve the engine and possibly do damage. I realize that my bike may not be tuned perfectly, but I have solid/smooth performance from idle to redline. No pauses, studders or weak points. And I did this myself without dropping another $500 for someone else to install it. That $500 I'll spend to replace that 240 monster truck tire on back :)

As far as problems with the Tab Fueler, I have had none and I'm pleased. If given the option, I'd do the same. However, I'm sure that there are many alternatives, so whatever works for you is all that matters. Gratz on deciding to install yourself. Doing it yourself (when practical) gives you a sense of "pride in your ride" that you don't get from buying it.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You can save alot of time, by just leaving the pipes on the bike. If you must have a spare pair, just buy them off Ebay and leave them in the box. :2cents:

Removing the baffle would probably be faster, and easier, but you are correct, that you will need a fueler for that chop job.

Nicely done video. Must have taken some time to do.

:plause:

·
Average V-rod guy
580 Posts
balius said:

I put four holes in each, 1/2" drill, starting with a smaller size drill. Here are some pics of what mine looks like.
Balius, looks awesome. Do you have an audio or video on how they sound? I own a VRSCDX and want to improve the factory sound. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
brohiki said:
Balius, looks awesome. Do you have an audio or video on how they sound? I own a VRSCDX and want to improve the factory sound. Thanks

I did the same as Balius with mine....check my gallery for a video of my first day with the bike....i have the sound clip of the stock VS the drilled.

Dan

·
Average V-rod guy
580 Posts
balius said:

Do you have a sound bite of this? I'm looking to mod my stocks on the cheap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just finished my first exhaust mod. I followed the youtube instructions ALMOST to the letter. The only thing I didn't do was to make the 3 rectangular cuts into the exhaust caps. What I did was to make 3 holes between each cap screw hole starting from 5/32 to 3/16.

I have not had a chance to ride my bike and really listen to the difference, but of course I started my baby and sounds...tougher...bolder.

More to follow.

Bryan

·
Registered
184 Posts
mighty fine how to video vanslam, mighty fine. question, how does this mod not affect back pressure /fuel management? i'm confused

1 - 20 of 23 Posts