Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to go with reverse shifting on the VRSCDX? When I used to race superbikes, on my CBR F3 all you had to do was flip the shift linkage clamp and instead of pulling up to shift from 2nd to third you push down on the foot shifter. To down shift you pull up instead of push down. I know with the VRSCDX its not possible to flip the linkage so if anyone else knows of how to do this...

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
Just a newbie question, what shall you benefit from this? Is it easier to shift this way other from the regular one?

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
I don't think there is enough room on the top of shifter shaft, unless you want to fabricate a shorter clamp.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a newbie question, what shall you benefit from this? Is it easier to shift this way other from the regular one?
The reasons we used reverse shifting for racing was: when your draging your knee out of turn 5 at Road America (left turn), instead of having to have your toe under the shifter, all you have to do is just tap down to get that gear as your coming out...so you have way better balance and ergonomics. Same for right turns, when your leaned way off to the right of the bike with knee on ground all you have to do is tap down when powering out and grabing next gear.

Other reason is when your in a left turn coming out on power you dont want your foot under the shifter if you crash.

Now, I know Im not gonna be draging my knee on the KRS but, as shity as these things shift, I thought being able to tap down for upshifting under heavy RPM might be fun and or a lil easier. To be honest with you Im realy not sure what the gain would be with forward controls but, nothing ventured, blah blah blah :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think there is enough room on the top of shifter shaft, unless you want to fabricate a shorter clamp.
Agreed...the only thing Im thinking you could do with the linkage is maybee a custom hack job that lowers the linkage so you could get under that part of the case but no idea what to do about the clamp.

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
The reasons we used reverse shifting for racing was: when your draging your knee out of turn 5 at Road America (left turn), instead of having to have your toe under the shifter, all you have to do is just tap down to get that gear as your coming out...so you have way better balance and ergonomics. Same for right turns, when your leaned way off to the right of the bike with knee on ground all you have to do is tap down when powering out and grabing next gear.

Other reason is when your in a left turn coming out on power you dont want your foot under the shifter if you crash.

Now, I know Im not gonna be draging my knee on the KRS but, as shity as these things shift, I thought being able to tap down for upshifting under heavy RPM might be fun and or a lil easier. To be honest with you Im realy not sure what the gain would be with forward controls but, nothing ventured, blah blah blah :)
At least I have a nice info about racing , balance & ergonomics :moon:

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Try this: Buy a 6mm x 1.5 coupling nut, and a hardened engine stud about 3 inches long. Disconnect the shifter shaft below the pedal, and see how long you need to move the heim joint to above the pivot. Drill and heilicoil a threaded insert in the shift pedal. Move the forward heim joint to above the pivot. this will reverse the shift. I had to do most of this to use forward controls with FL floorboards. I was able to bend the shift rod enough to not have to drill the pedal. Try it! Joe

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try this: Buy a 6mm x 1.5 coupling nut, and a hardened engine stud about 3 inches long. Disconnect the shifter shaft below the pedal, and see how long you need to move the heim joint to above the pivot. Drill and heilicoil a threaded insert in the shift pedal. Move the forward heim joint to above the pivot. this will reverse the shift. I had to do most of this to use forward controls with FL floorboards. I was able to bend the shift rod enough to not have to drill the pedal. Try it! Joe
Yeah Joe, I think thats the best option, Im gonna give this a try and see how it works. Thanks!

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Bryansvrod;2047334[B said:
]The reasons we used reverse shifting for racing was: when your draging your knee out of turn 5 at Road America (left turn), instead of having to have your toe under the shifter, all you have to do is just tap down to get that gear as your coming out...so you have way better balance and ergonomics.[/B] Same for right turns, when your leaned way off to the right of the bike with knee on ground all you have to do is tap down when powering out and grabing next gear.

Nice comeback...."newbie"!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This may not be what you want but here's the "prototype" shifter pedal I made. I couldn't get the feel I wanted with my toe under the shifter peg so I added another peg. I've since made a nicer looking set up out aluminum and used chrome HD pegs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts