Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy I’m having a string of bad luck I replaced my clutch pad on mike and took it for a ride and it rode fine then after bringing it to my door to prevent theft I find out the next morning I cracked my oil cooler so I replaced it and now it won’t start I just clicks I checked all fuses and relays and the starter solenoid and they’re fine I had a code for the cps and replaced it and still nothing help please

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Hi guy I’m having a string of bad luck I replaced my clutch pad on mike and took it for a ride and it rode fine then after bringing it to my door to prevent theft I find out the next morning I cracked my oil cooler so I replaced it and now it won’t start I just clicks I checked all fuses and relays and the starter solenoid and they’re fine I had a code for the cps and replaced it and still nothing help please
All of the above ok , then the battery is dead, cables loose or something preventing it from getting full power from battery. Generally solenoid clicking is either a bad solenoid or weak battery.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’ll check the grounds I had the battery tested at advanced auto they said it was good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i checked the ground s and they are clean and tight It still does nothing I checked for codes again b has no rsp pscb

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
What does b mean
B refers to battery , lighting and such areas. You say it clicks but don't start. Can you tell if the starter itself is turning when you hit the start button. If in fact it is, it could be the starter limiter not turning the engine over.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the limiter or is it built into the starter sorry I’m a noob at working on bikes

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Where is the limiter or is it built into the starter sorry I’m a noob at working on bikes
It's under the altenator cover. It connects between the starter and the sprague gear on the crank. Inside is a mini clutch pack that may or may not be slipping and not turning the engine over. Generally they will turn the engine but at a really slow rpm but not enough to start it. You need to verify the starter is actually turning before diving into that. When you hook up a VOM, do you get power at the starter terminal when you hit the start button? If so, it could be the starter itself , as in a dead spot or brushes pooched. Check for voltage at the starter terminal first and if possible and you own a test instrument, check amp draw with an induction clamp. Good middle point to work forward or backward from the starter itself.
Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem found out through Harley that it was the Factory Alarm. I had it disconnected and all was fine!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
did you remove and clean the copper mounting tab on front head that the earth cable connects to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts