Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys n gals,first post so just saying thanks for all the tips,how to's ,advice and just generally learning about this great bike, gleaned plenty since owning the rod 馃憤.Been searching for this new problem I have with the clutch but to no avail,past few days riding to work the clutch lever stiffened up shifting down to first and becomes hard to depress for a few seconds before taking off again and engages higher than usual on the lever ,all other gears change up and down fine and the lever action is nice and clean ,ive seen posts on slipping ,chatter and alike but not this specific symptom ,bike is 2010 ,4000 miles ,bit early for clutch change, I do ride let's say on the spirited side as you should with the rod ,so maybe just a bleed and fluid change ?? Any feedback appreciated......

Registered
Hi Guys n gals,first post so just saying thanks for all the tips,how to's ,advice and just generally learning about this great bike, gleaned plenty since owning the rod 馃憤.Been searching for this new problem I have with the clutch but to no avail,past few days riding to work the clutch lever stiffened up shifting down to first and becomes hard to depress for a few seconds before taking off again and engages higher than usual on the lever ,all other gears change up and down fine and the lever action is nice and clean ,ive seen posts on slipping ,chatter and alike but not this specific symptom ,bike is 2010 ,4000 miles ,bit early for clutch change, I do ride let's say on the spirited side as you should with the rod ,so maybe just a bleed and fluid change ?? Any feedback appreciated......
When was the last time the fluid was changed? If it hasn't been done for a while I would definitely start there. If you see a lot of sludge in the reservoir I would recommend a good flush through with denatured alcohol before putting fresh fluid in. Do the brakes while you are at it. These bikes are notorious for having horrible looking fluid in them if not changed regularly. Max 2 years between changes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Coastrider ,yea will do ....with the low mileage for the year on the bike a dare say it's never been done and the fluids gone bad,I hope anyway 馃,I'm sure theres are flush how to on here somewhere ,thanks for the feedback CR 馃憤

Registered
Cheers Coastrider ,yea will do ....with the low mileage for the year on the bike a dare say it's never been done and the fluids gone bad,I hope anyway 馃,I'm sure theres are flush how to on here somewhere ,thanks for the feedback CR 馃憤
Here or youtube for sure. Just bear in mind if your bike has abs, to do the brakes you will need to take it to a dealer or somebody that has one of the 2 aftermarket systems for activating the abs unit. The abs unit must be activated as the brakes are bled to move the fluid from the unit. This is important as the abs unit is very prone to failure from moisture in the fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Here or youtube for sure. Just bear in mind if your bike has abs, to do the brakes you will need to take it to a dealer or somebody that has one of the 2 aftermarket systems for activating the abs unit. The abs unit must be activated as the brakes are bled to move the fluid from the unit. This is important as the abs unit is very prone to failure from moisture in the fluid.
Yea its abs itll be a garage for sure ,I know a few harley guys,cheers馃憤

Registered
There's no connection to gears and the clutch. I suspect some form of blockage, either in master valving area or elsewhere in the system. I do know my brand new bike, I checked all the fluids when I first got it. Brakes were fine but the clutch was disgusting. Dirty, with even chunks of black matter in the master. A disaster waiting to happen. I do both at 2 year intervals and have never seen that since. Just a sight tinge of darkening over two years now. Some of your HD buds might have software to cycle the ABS so you can do the brake flush correctly. I bought TwinScan2 ABS just for that. There are others as well for the task.
Ron

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Right... clutch fluid now done ,black in the master cylinder,flushed till clear and no air in line,and still having same issue,initially lever pulls in as normal, into first and off I go ,through the gears all working fine ,down in gears to a junction ,unable to pull lever in for a few seconds ,manage to pull in ,engage first and its as if I'm riding the clutch ,takes a few seconds for gear to engage properly,more revs and it finally slots in ,never had a slipping clutch before ,seems I've just experienced my first ??? Only happens in first,suggestions anyone ,preferably not the expensive kind ...
Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Slave piston ,bad plate/ring ??,when draining master fluid was above fill line,overfilled by previous owner or a sign of clutch ware ?? Ports in master looked clear ,lever feels soft after bleed and refill

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Running motul 4t synthetic,brembo brake fluid,will recheck master intake port ,refill port ok squirting through nicely

Registered
Slave piston ,bad plate/ring ??,when draining master fluid was above fill line,overfilled by previous owner or a sign of clutch ware ?? Ports in master looked clear ,lever feels soft after bleed and refill
I'm at a complete loss for solutions. Clutch is just that , a clutch and no connection to what gear it's in. Only thing that would make sense is some form of thrust action from the gear set from the helical second gear forcing the mainshaft and clutch hub toward the slave cyl on decels placing more then normal pressure on the clutch lever at that point. Not sure that's even possible, so only theoretical at this point. Only test I can think of is try shifting into second on a down shift but only let the lever half way back out. Roll the throttle back to make the decel harder. Does it force the lever out from your fingers? Second test is just rolling along in second at lower speeds, place light pressure on the clutch lever and give it a good bit of throttle. Does the clutch lever move toward the grip?
Ron

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ron i guess when you said you were at a loss for solutions it became a catalyst for a change of direction,.Decided to do a complete rethink on this issue and forget about the clutch,so I retraced my changes I've made to the bike since taking it,in the back of my mind was always the stiff lever ,...long story short first mod I did was putting on a set of drag bars and with dropping the height I obviously had play in the cableling and lines,not too bad I thought,tidied up with a few zip ties here and there,....and so the problem presented itself after checking the lines ,a pinch in the clutch line had gradually got worse causing the stiff lever while turning the bars before setting off ,pinched it out with pliers pulled the bend out down the frame,zip tied away from down pipe ,went for a ride and Bob's your auntie its sorted,always the way,if you change things up be prepared for potential issues and it's usually the simplest thing that's the problem ,thanks for the input gents

Registered
Thanks ron i guess when you said you were at a loss for solutions it became a catalyst for a change of direction,.Decided to do a complete rethink on this issue and forget about the clutch,so I retraced my changes I've made to the bike since taking it,in the back of my mind was always the stiff lever ,...long story short first mod I did was putting on a set of drag bars and with dropping the height I obviously had play in the cableling and lines,not too bad I thought,tidied up with a few zip ties here and there,....and so the problem presented itself after checking the lines ,a pinch in the clutch line had gradually got worse causing the stiff lever while turning the bars before setting off ,pinched it out with pliers pulled the bend out down the frame,zip tied away from down pipe ,went for a ride and Bob's your auntie its sorted,always the way,if you change things up be prepared for potential issues and it's usually the simplest thing that's the problem ,thanks for the input gents
There ya go. It's always the simple things that get you. Now I can sleep at night. LOL
Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts