Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Beck
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you HD for all of us who paid $17900 for a nice 2008 vrscdx, we really thank you for selling 2011 models for $14900 brand new.:soapbox:
Next time HD please use lube before sticking it up our a$$es. All of our bikes are worth $3000 less just because you do not know marketing and anyone who owes money on one is now upside down and stuck with it unless you put a huge down payment. Anyone else agree?
:chainsaw:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I feel your frustration! But from where I stand, its not Milwaukee's lack of marketing, but this lousy economy that has most people by the financial throat.

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Not to dig it in deeper.

But when i returned in the mid-end of 08, I bought mine an hour away from FT. Bragg for 12.4k brand new with no miles. I then wrecked it 500 miles later in FL, and went back to buy the other one they had for 12.2k a month later.

This is when Cape Fear HD in Fayetteville was still pushing the 17.9k price tag.

So yeah it was nearing the end of 08, but still an awesome price. So this new price tag on 2011 isn't really a big deal for me for two reasons.

1. I got mine at an awesome price.
2. I don't ever plan on selling mine, even if I buy/build another bike. So not a big deal if you ask me.

I know it can suck, seeing how if you waited you would have paid less. But ask yourself this. How many good times have you had on it from when you bought it till now with the new 2011 prices? Is all them good times worth the difference? If so then don't stress over it, just take it as it comes, and understand your not a mind reader so you never could have known about the price drop. So don't be so hard on yourself or Harley.

Just roll with it, and if these words don't give you a better outlook about it. Then take your bad ass 08 out for a spin and just enjoy yourself. It's what I do to relax when feeling pissed.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
the 02 model was the most expensive and since then the vrod line has been getting less expensive.the line is now into it 9th year and for most manufactuers thats just plain old.they have to drop the price just to sell them.

·
Tragic Pessimist?
2,205 Posts
+1

thank you hd for all of us who paid $17900 for a nice 2008 vrscdx, we really thank you for selling 2011 models for $14900 brand new.:soapbox:
Next time hd please use lube before sticking it up our a$$es. All of our bikes are worth $3000 less just because you do not know marketing and anyone who owes money on one is now upside down and stuck with it unless you put a huge down payment. Anyone else agree?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It's just money. It's a luxury purchase, not a good deal at any price. Hell I paid $19,900 for my my 07 X, a year later all the V-Rods had basically the same features standard. Who cares, anybody that buys something like new motorcycle and is worried about future value probably shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

I'm going to drive mine till it's worthless and then bury it in a deep hole. I'm never selling it.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
... So this new price tag on 2011 isn't really a big deal for me for two reasons.

1. I got mine at an awesome price.
2. I don't ever plan on selling mine, even if I buy/build another bike. So not a big deal if you ask me.

I know it can suck, seeing how if you waited you would have paid less. But ask yourself this. How many good times have you had on it from when you bought it till now with the new 2011 prices? Is all them good times worth the difference? If so then don't stress over it, just take it as it comes, and understand your not a mind reader so you never could have known about the price drop. So don't be so hard on yourself or Harley.

Just roll with it, and if these words don't give you a better outlook about it. Then take your bad ass 08 out for a spin and just enjoy yourself. It's what I do to relax when feeling pissed.
:them:
This totally equates with the "Housing Crisis" that supposedly took down our economy. Why do I care if the selling price of the items that I own drop in value to someone else? I'm not selling!

I bought my bike to enjoy. You did too.

You paid the price because you wanted it more than the money you had. They sold it because they wanted your money more than the bike. It sounds like a good deal to me. :deal:

If you're having buyer's remorse now, it's because you are mad at yourself for not anticipating a price drop when you should have. It's not Harley-Davidson's fault that you can't read the market.

Forget about it and enjoy life.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Thank you HD for all of us who paid $17900 for a nice 2008 vrscdx, we really thank you for selling 2011 models for $14900 brand new.:soapbox:
Next time HD please use lube before sticking it up our a$$es. All of our bikes are worth $3000 less just because you do not know marketing and anyone who owes money on one is now upside down and stuck with it unless you put a huge down payment. Anyone else agree?
It is telling when the MoCo all but says they don’t think their product is even worth what they sold it for last year. Dealing with a downturn in the economy is holding the price constant from one year to the next. This is something else – possibly even the beginnings of deflation, which is definitely a bad sign.

The glory days of buying a Harley, riding it for a few years and selling it for what you paid for it are gone. HD’s are acting just like any other vehicle these days – i.e. losing $2k in value as soon as you drive it off the lot. V-Rods may be the worst of all the models for depreciation. This possibly is one explanation why they lowered the price of the 2011. Why spend the money on a new 2011 if the 2008 is selling for $10k to $12K and essentially the same bike. This of course should be sending signals that it is time to freshen up the design a little to make the 2011 worth paying $18k for.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well guys, I paid $31,000 Aust ($27,800.00US) for my 2010 NRS,so don't feel too bad. Basically, it costs an extra $11,000+ to get one to Australia!!!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bikes are toys not mutual fund investments. I don't see car owners bitching because a three year newer model is cheaper. Did you think you were going to make money?

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
If you're having buyer's remorse now, it's because you are mad at yourself for not anticipating a price drop when you should have. It's not Harley-Davidson's fault that you can't read the market.

:banghead:.........and do you watch Kramer nightly???

Are you serious?? Hell, if we all waited for "anticipated price drops" we might never buy - anything.

In a few years it won't even have a bearing on re-sale so forget about it.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
I don’t think the point of mbeack23’s post was to gripe about normal depreciation. He’s not happy with the fact that the MoCo is helping it along with a little under 17 percent reduction of their own from one year to the next. That is messed up – actually, that is very messed up.

I certainly agree that motorcycles as most of us on this forum would own them are not investments. Motorcycles tend to get bought and sold frequently. That being said, no one wants to lose more than they must so the MoCo’s antics are a valid compliant.

·
Beck
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought an 08 Honda Accord V6 EXL with nave for 34k. The 2010 Model is 36K, they did not drop their price 17%. That is why we by Honda car, they last and Honda protects the resale value. That is my point HD used to be the same way....... Well maybe not quality

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought an 09 DX two months before the 2011 Model Year price drop. I got it for $1500 off, which gets me within about $500 of the 2011 MY price, so I'm not upset about it.

If I had paid MSRP, I guess I'd be hot, too. I was already more than a little miffed that I missed the 1% financing by just a couple days.

But trying to look at it subjectively, hopefully it will make them more popular, with both non-Harley people and with the traditional "airhead" Harley people. And maybe that would in the long term mean the support of it by the MoCo. (they didn't even put the V-Rod on their 2010 MY bikes front page http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/home/NB)

Also, as the point was made earlier, that's two months and 3000 miles of riding I've got on it which has been a blast. Especially as it is my first V-Rod.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I bought my latest F-250 pickup, Ford was giving something like $1000 bucks off for having bought an F-250 within the last 10 years, which I had. And that was from the company, not the dealer. Be cool if the MoCo did something like that for customer loyalty.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Speaking of Fords. I bought an 09 F250 diesel. A year later the 11s are out with 50 more horsepower, 80 more ft lbs, air conditioned seats and 50%!!!!! better fuel economy.

It'll always be a woulda, coulda, shoulda but didn't.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Speaking of Fords. I bought an 09 F250 diesel. A year later the 11s are out with 50 more horsepower, 80 more ft lbs, air conditioned seats and 50%!!!!! better fuel economy.

It'll always be a woulda, coulda, shoulda but didn't.
Wow! Didn't know that. Mines a gasser, and I haven't kept up with the diesels. Anyone put it in a bike frame yet? hahaha

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Yeah about every 3 years it seems they completely reinvent the diesel engines. Ford's new one flows backwards and uses exhaust fluid.

At least the V-Rod has been the same old same old for basically 10 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This totally equates with the "Housing Crisis" that supposedly took down our economy.

I always considered the price of fuel to be the cause of the current economic "crisis". The cost of fuel effects the cost of EVERYTHING else and for those who didn't know it was the banks who actually bought fuel low and resold it extremely high causing this current economy. I can chart the 2006 increasing price of fuel with the decreasing product sales in my company.....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts