Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Dark Destroyer
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my VRSCD second hand and the previous owner had cut the springs that make the pegs flip back. I got 'Peed' off with them staying up if I caught them with my boot, so I ordered a new set and can't for the life of me work out how they should be mounted.

Does anyone have a photo or can send me a link on how to fit them?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Honestly, I haven't heard of springs that make pegs "flip back" on their own (at least not OEM stock on a VRSC).

The pegs DO have a "spring washer" between the peg & the mount that is "supposed to" hold the peg in position (either up or down). A common complaint with OEM passenger pegs is that they don't stay UP (my Rizoma's are a little thicker in the mount, so they don't suffer from this problem, though my HD OEM pegs DID).

If this "spring washer" is missing, or loses it's "spring-i-ness", the peg won't stay in position.

HD p/n: 50912-72, which means (-72 suffix) it's been around for awhile, and is the standard part on pretty much every bike.

You stuff them in between the peg and mount, flat side facing in.

Rick

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Honestly, I haven't heard of springs that make pegs "flip back" on their own (at least not OEM stock on a VRSC).

The pegs DO have a "spring washer" between the peg & the mount that is "supposed to" hold the peg in position (either up or down). A common complaint with OEM passenger pegs is that they don't stay UP (my Rizoma's are a little thicker in the mount, so they don't suffer from this problem, though my HD OEM pegs DID).

If this "spring washer" is missing, or loses it's "spring-i-ness", the peg won't stay in position.

HD p/n: 50912-72, which means (-72 suffix) it's been around for awhile, and is the standard part on pretty much every bike.

You stuff them in between the peg and mount, flat side facing in.

Rick
On my 08 D the "spring washer" is a rusted piece of bent steel. I pulled it out and re-bent it, but I expect it won't last long.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
On the front pegs?

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Never heard of this in 35 years!:D
They (all) do have a crowned steel washer that keeps tension on them so they do not flop around while riding, it's right at the clevis.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts

This is one of the little bastards, used on peg clevis's since the dawn of time (or this -72 version). Made of spring steel, they can't be stainless (or they lose their "spring"). You can paint them with a "rustoleum type" paint, which will just scrape off when you jam them into the clevis between the peg and the mount. You might be able to find an aftermarket one that doesn't rust.

Far as the OP's comments, there may even be an aftermarket devices that "spring loads" the pegs so they flip up automatically, but, if the passenger moves their foot off the peg, it will likely come to rest on your pipe or beltguard when they go to put their foot back down on the peg.

Rick

·
"That just happened"
331 Posts
TC, the spring fits on the rear of the peg. Think of it as the point of the V faces the front of the bike.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
TC, it's more likely that the previous owner simply replace the pin with a bolt & nut combo and tightened them down to keep them deployed (acting as crash bars), I did the same to the passenger pegs to keep them up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts