Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a hold of a set of midcontrols, and I just have a few things that may be of help to anyone else looking to install the kit themselves.

1. Removing the swingarm pivot bolt is a pain in the :moon: because it is just this side of impossible to get everything lined back up by yourself. At LEAST one extra set hands is strongly advised.
2. The new engine mount bracket that comes with the kit, runs into the factory welded support mount for the forward control brake line. (I've yet to figure out how to mount that without cutting off the mount, therefore my bike is still on the lift in my garage)
3. I'm not a stranger to turning a wrench by any means, but this particular project is a frustration meltdown waiting to happen. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but from where I am, I really wish I had just took it to a dealership.

After reading about the dozens of people who put them on, then took them right back off; I've decided to go the safe route, and run mid-pegs, to see if I like it before I move the actual controls back. The Harley Instructions pretty much suck, so if anyones got personal experience, I'm certainly listening.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,575 Posts
Ugh, I see, the arm on the peg bracket that holds the rear set master cylinder contacts that lug on the frame. Other models don't have that lug. You're like me, sometimes I'll not install a mod if I have to bugger something up or cut something off that I may want later.

Don't know what to suggest, but trying the relocated pegs first is a good idea. You may decide they're too far back and want to change back. If you like the pegs as alternate foot locations and still keep the forward controls you could cut that arm off the peg mount.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Btflash, any progress with this? I have mid controls and still waiting for the rear brake assembly and some hose I needed to get for the install. Luckily I have my brothers help, but he's not to sure about removing the wheels. I also purchased a service manual so that will help us.

I have a feeling you went to HD and paid them to install it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm kind of new to this whole thing and still figuring it out. I got a 2003 VRSCA, I'm not sure what differentiates that from a VRSCAW but I would really love to find a set of mid controls to use instead of the forward controls

·
Registered
22 Posts
I added midcontrols to my 2008 VRSCDX. I wasn't about to pull the swingarm off, so I cut the mount, and used a grade 12 allen bolt (which I had to buy 25 as a minimum purchase), thru the foot pedal mount on the brake pedal side, and bolted in the existing mounting bolt hole. I've had no problem with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mid control swingarm advice...

So I literally just helped my buddy convert his muscle to mid controls 2 weeks ago. It honestly went pretty smooth. He ordered all stock parts from stealership for a VRSCR (which is what I have) but searched the web to find a HD shop that had the parts he needed at a discount. Anyway... the one thing I can't stress enough is the need for swingarm support throughout the exchange of the engine support bracket. We had a square jack under the rear tire, a scissor jack under the frame and 2 sections of 2x4 positioned vertically supporting the swingarm as well. When we pulled the swingarm pivot bolt out, nothing moved. We quickly replaced the stock bracket with the new one in the kit from HD (used a pry bar on the R side to make it easier to remove old bracket and install new) and slid the pivot bolt back through the frame. We then just stood there for a moment looking at each other in disbelief, kind of surprised that for once in our lives modifying a Harley didn't come with 3 or 4 unanticipated headaches. The rest of the install was simply a matter of removing old hardware and brake lines and installing the new. Then he took it to stealership to have them bleed the lines and set up the ABS. His muscle now rides like my VRSCR and he couldn't be happier. Sadly, neither of us knuckleheads took pics, but if my post helps even one rider then great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm kind of new to this whole thing and still figuring it out. I got a 2003 VRSCA, I'm not sure what differentiates that from a VRSCAW but I would really love to find a set of mid controls to use instead of the forward controls
I also have a 07 VRSCAW, and im think the mids i got is not compatible unless im missing parts? i swapped my forwards for mids with another Vrod owner.. FML .. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts