Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07' VRSCAW and I am having a few electrical issues. First while riding my gauges and backlighting go completely dark and my head light becomes brighter. This resolves itself after approx 2-3 mins. Second after my bike is below 1/2 a tank of fuel the gauge drops to empty eventhouh I have plenty of fuel. Any advice will help.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I have an 07' VRSCAW and I am having a few electrical issues. First while riding my gauges and backlighting go completely dark and my head light becomes brighter. This resolves itself after approx 2-3 mins. Second after my bike is below 1/2 a tank of fuel the gauge drops to empty eventhouh I have plenty of fuel. Any advice will help.
You need to give more info on the electrical problem. For one thing, what work has been done on this bike?

Concerning the fuel gauge; do a search on "fuel gauge sonic" and start reading. Don't expect to find a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the bike used and it appears completely stock. I added a chrome baseplate and sissy bar. The bike was doing this prior to the addition of these things. I am on my second high beam due to the power spiking causing it to burn out.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I bought the bike used and it appears completely stock. I added a chrome baseplate and sissy bar. The bike was doing this prior to the addition of these things. I am on my second high beam due to the power spiking causing it to burn out.
Are there any trouble codes (this post explains how to read and clear DTCs)?

There are a number of high voltage DTCs that would set if the regulator is bad (e.g., B0563, B1007, P0563). Loose grounds can also cause voltage problems.

If you plan on working on the bike yourself you need three books; the Service Manual (99501-07), Electrical Diagnostic Manual (99499-07), and a parts catalog (99457-07A).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar issue and it ended up being the battery terminals not being tightened all the way. Tightened them up and the problem went away.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Can't help you on the headlight problem but as far as the fuel gauge........

It is a joke. It is not reliable. Use the search function on this site and it will tell you just how unreliable. You are better off using the Solunar Tables to predict fuel needs than the stupid fuel gauge that is installed on this bike. HD has not offered a fix. It will work sometimes and when you really need it, it will go off and do it's own thing.

Use the trip odometer. You have the 5 gallon tank ('07 and later). Depending on how hard you hit the throttle, 150 miles and you need to fill up (30 MPG X 5 Gallons=150 miles). Yes, conservative, don't want to run out of gas on a fuel injected engine.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Start with checking all the ground connections. There are several places so take them loose scrape clean, put some anti corrosive on the mating surface and off to the next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts