Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Thank you guys for being there. I've been learning a lot about my 2009-VRSCAW here. I got it recently with 20K and love it. I've been fixing a few things, flushed coolant, K&N filter oil, new plugs...

Brake lever pressed without Rotor
I was trying to replace front brake pads. I had the right caliper out and my son eagerly pressed the brake lever!
I'm trying to 'push' the pistons in. Tried all options, looked at videos, threads..
All sources say its a no-no. Now, that its done, what are my options! :rolleyes:
I cannot insert the caliper back on the rotor, as there is no clearance

Current state
1. RH front Caliper is no longer hooked to hydraulic line
2. Removed pads - Pads show even wear, no pits or groves
3. Cleaned the caliper without the pads
3. Out of the 4 pistons, 2 Pistons on one side of caliper are snug, and flush (all the way in)
4. 2nd Pair of pistons are about 1/4" out
5. Cannot push this pair of pistons in

I read my service manual. I read here that there are no rebuild kits. From the threads here I found.
Option-1
45109-961-006 Dust shield (the skinny one, need four per caliper) Honda
45209-961-006 Oil seal (the thick one, need four per caliper) Honda
I found the Honda seals online and am ordering them
Option-2
Search ebay for Harley Brembo, touring bikes have same Brembo
I checked ebay, I found rebuild kits, but they are for other touring HDs.

My Questions
Did anyone try the Honda seals, or are there new seal kits?
What HD touring model will match 09-VRSCSAW
How do I get the pistons to come out ( I have a tire pressure pump, I can go to my Car mechanic) and can try blowing air through the banjo-bolt hole
What grease did you use to lubricate the pistons
Would you advice I just buy an old caliper from ebay?

Thank you all for helping me out.

·
VRSC est -03
2,973 Posts
I had a pair of calipers apart few days ago. All Touring and V-rods shares the same brake caliper. No worries, just pull the caliper apart, do not lose the small o-ring between caliper halves. To get the 2 pistons out you have to blow air thru the banjo bolt hole, the get the other 2 pistons out you have to blow air where the small o-ring is seated. Do not use pliers to remove the pistons, compressed air only! The fit is too snug/tight. I did not try the grease gun trick but it sounds ok. Of course you can try to free all pistons when caliper is still in one unit. An extra pair of hands is recommended regardless. Once pistons is out just use your fingers to seat the o-rings inside the halves. Use DOT4 brake fluid to lube o-rings and pistons during installation. If everything goes smooth there is no need for new parts (eBay). And you will feel as a pro... (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Knut J. I'm going to tackle it right now.
Iwas getting disheartened. All of past 2 weeks I was trying to fix a leaking front fork. I followed instructions here. The fork bolt in the slider was my undoing. I soaked, WD40, PB-blaster, Impact-Wrench. No go. Took it to my Indy-car guy. He could not budge it. Finally paid $$$ to HD-shop. Felt very foolish as I'd done all the work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got the pistons out. Phew! I had to take it to Indy for compressed air to push out the pistons. I cleaned the calipers, pistons and removed the seals to clean them.
Question - Do the old seals go back in? I've been trying to reseat them. Youtube video magicians do it in 10 secs. I haven't been able to get even 1 seal back in place.
Is it better to buy new seals from HDealer?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Finally got the pistons out. Phew! I had to take it to Indy for compressed air to push out the pistons. I cleaned the calipers, pistons and removed the seals to clean them.
Question - Do the old seals go back in? I've been trying to reseat them. Youtube video magicians do it in 10 secs. I haven't been able to get even 1 seal back in place.
Is it better to buy new seals from HDealer?
Thanks
Dealer won't have them . You can get them from Honda.
Brembo caliper seals.
Brembo parts = Honda part # 45209-961-006 seals the brake fluid
Honda part # 45109-961-006 seals the dust out
Cycle Pro 19257 Caliper Seal & Piston Kit
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Ron (rbabos). I will look for the Honda seals, got a Honda dealer close by. The old seals look perfect, do they stretch? Is that why I'm not able to reinstall them? Or don't I have opposable thumbs :rolleyes: ?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Thank you Ron (rbabos). I will look for the Honda seals, got a Honda dealer close by. The old seals look perfect, do they stretch? Is that why I'm not able to reinstall them? Or don't I have opposable thumbs :rolleyes: ?
Not sure, as I've not done one yet. This should explain the process.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. I saw this, and the magician slipped the seals right in LOL. I'll get the new seals and try. Might as well replace than take the risk of redoing the job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The honda parts are discontinued and local honda dealer did not have them. I ordered the cycle pro parts... and trying to get the old seals back in place.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
The honda parts are discontinued and local honda dealer did not have them. I ordered the cycle pro parts... and trying to get the old seals back in place.
That's odd. If you Google, they can be had all over the place. Honda dealer must be taking a page from a HD dealer in customer service. The HD dealer will tell you they are not rebuildable, only new replacements.
There is some seal install tricks in this vid. Note about 3/4 through, how you shape the seal to get it in the bore. This works well, if that seal will conform to that shape. In many cases, it's the only way to get them into a groove. There are even 3 finger pivot tools to form the seals to this shape for install. We used them for hydraulic cylinders at the shop, when I was still working..
Ron

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think they have been discontinued from Honda for a long while. The ones you see around are NOS or pattern parts. I believe pattern ones are still available.
I did find a place that sold a seal kit to fit the Brembos. They did a seal kit on its own and a seal kit with Stainless Steel replacement pistons. I actually bookmarked them but I had a hard drive crash and may possibly be lost. I will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I think they have been discontinued from Honda for a long while. The ones you see around are NOS or pattern parts. I believe pattern ones are still available.
I did find a place that sold a seal kit to fit the Brembos. They did a seal kit on its own and a seal kit with Stainless Steel replacement pistons. I actually bookmarked them but I had a hard drive crash and may possibly be lost. I will see if I can find it.
Still can get them from Honda. Best to search part numbers online which brings up many buy options. Other examples of weird shit I've run into. There is a seal on the end of the inverted fork where it seals the tube to the axle block. This O-ring is a Honda part from mid 80s. Don't know what it's actually used for on a Honda unless they had a model with inverted forks back then. Got two for my stock recently. Why Honda, well HD don't sell tubes and blocks separately, only as a unit. The O ring is an in between bastard mm size, only available from Honda. Punching in the required sizes, the Honda part number came up.
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts