Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes my 03 v rod will shift into neutral by itself when i am riding. figured it was a clutch problem any suggestions of what it could be or if anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
That can't be good! I would think it was more of a trans issue rather than a clutch issue. One way to be sure, take it to your repair center and have them check it...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
sometimes my 03 v rod will shift into neutral by itself when i am riding. figured it was a clutch problem any suggestions of what it could be or if anyone else had this problem?
either,gearshift linkages need lubeing,loose detent star on end of selector drum,bent shifter fork.the last two will need cases split and updated parts to remidy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Be sure you are sifting into second with confidence (harder than you normally are and all the way).I say this because the shifter was so maladjusted on my bike when I got it that it would pop back into neutral too and i had to adjust it.
Also lube the shifter where it sits in the peg arm and shift rod.This is a common issue and will make shifting better all around.On occasion it has to be taken apart and cleaned as well,very simple to do.heim joint
Do this before taking it to the dealer and see how it goes

anyway here read this
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728:cwhy1wicj0r&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=jumping+out+of+second&sa=Search&siteurl=www.1130cc.com/&ref=&ss=9429j4183501j31

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also is there a reason besides them being crooks why the local harley dealer wants to charge me 1800 to do my 15000 mile service to adjust my valves? does it really need it? i hear the click of them every once in a while is that normal. still kinda new to the v rod. mine is a 2003 running topless mod and cfr exhaust and power commander pc3

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
also is there a reason besides them being crooks why the local harley dealer wants to charge me 1800 to do my 15000 mile service to adjust my valves? does it really need it? i hear the click of them every once in a while is that normal. still kinda new to the v rod. mine is a 2003 running topless mod and cfr exhaust and power commander pc3
That Dealership or shall I say Stealership wants to charge you about $1450.00 over the actual price of a 15k mile service, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just got off the phone with another dealer and they said i shouldnt really worried about it. it only clicks every so often. they said thats normal to hear when topless but still they said about a 1200 dollar job. anyone else hear their valves when running topless?

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
i just got off the phone with another dealer and they said i shouldnt really worried about it. it only clicks every so often. they said thats normal to hear when topless but still they said about a 1200 dollar job. anyone else hear their valves when running topless?
My 10k service was $3xx.xx how could a 15k service be $1200.00?

I have cams & I'm topless, my valves sing from 5000rpm up till the redline. It's normal.

Heres a vid of my bike with the SE2 cams @ idle. You can hear my valve train.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Clicking is normal. It's when you don't hear them that it's time to pay attention. A valve job takes about 3 hours at a leisurely pace. If the dealer charges $100 per hour that's, well you do the math.
Some dealers say you have to pull the engine which is nonsense. The service manual procedure does not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts