1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 VRSCA
26000mi
Original Fuel Tank

Fuel gage wasn't working so decided to troubleshoot this afternoon.

First I checked the schematics.
It looks like a variable resistor setup to divide voltage down to generate a signal that feeds back to the computer to indicate level.

I checked voltage on the connector... High = ok Lo = ground (ok) Signal = 0V
This says to me that there is a malfunction in the sensor or an open.

I pulled the assembly from the tank... The float appears to function correctly...but still no signal on the connector.

After further probing, I found that there was a small portion of the resistor strip side of the sending unit that flaked off just below the connector causing an open.

As a cheap *******, I attempted to repair by soldering a bridge (this is above the area where the float tops out) but could not get the solder to take. I don't see a straight forward way to effect a worthy repair and I'm not interested in a flaky repair that could result in a spark within the fuel tank. It looks like I'll be calling my friends at the dealer to order a new sending unit this week.

75122-01 Sending Unit

Looks like it'll be a busy week....I ordered new brake pads this morning. :)

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I have the same problem - a break in the windings in the resistor. But I priced the sending unit: $177.28 from Zanottis and decided I would just live with the Low Fuel indicator light and get my fuel info from the V-Gauge.

Good luck on the repair.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... If I can't do better than $177 for the sending unit, I'll put a resistor in the line so the system reads full and the low-fuel light goes out.

(Reference Cheap ******* comment above. :) )

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
Hmmm... If I can't do better than $177 for the sending unit, I'll put a resistor in the line so the system reads full and the low-fuel light goes out.

(Reference Cheap ******* comment above. :) )
Oooh! I love it! Wish I'd thought of it. Now on my 'to do' list. And yours - I doubt you'll get a better price than that.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@#$%#@$

While setting it up, I shorted the line to ground and broke something. Make sure you have the resistor between the sensor wire and ground. Not sure of the value (was trying to get that without pulling the tank again.)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Richard the amount of voltage on the sensor strip is very low and going to ground shouldn't short it out as such. You measure the strip using ohms and not volts. It should be 0 ohms empty and about 90 ohms full. With all the wires disconnected you may get 5 or 7 volts dc on the wire but like I say it is a very low voltage low amperage signal and if shorted out it should just drop to 0 without causing a problem.

Now going into the tank is also the fuel pump circuit, I think it shares ground with the fuel pump but would have to check a schematic to see. The fuel pump when running will be a sold 12 volts, do not take it to ground or let it hit the sensor strip.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Max.

Yes it does share ground with the fuel pump.

The needle moves during the gauge check so mechanically it's okay. I think I may have overloaded the sensor circuit in the gauge pod when I grounded out the signal without the resistor in place. 90 ohms sounds right. I'll stop at RS and get a resistor to slip in the line and see if the gauge recovers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fuel gauge sending unit VRoad2003 no longer manufactured

Hello, the fuel gauge sending unit v rod my centenary does not work and the dealer tells me that is no longer manufactured more, and I must buy a complete kit that costs more than 1,000 usd ..
The original PN is 75122-01. Anyone know if there is a replacement for this part? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Hello, the fuel gauge sending unit v rod my centenary does not work and the dealer tells me that is no longer manufactured more, and I must buy a complete kit that costs more than 1,000 usd ..
The original PN is 75122-01. Anyone know if there is a replacement for this part? Thanks in advance!
Ok so what's the current part number? I've looked into some including the complete fuel module with #75123-01B and can'y find it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts